Trofeo R Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:33 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trofeo R Report

So the first subjective observations comparing Trofeo R vs Trofeo are:

New R tread after a session is much less sticky to the touch than the old Trofeo. Tread does not get nearly as gummy. Honestly, they do not feel any faster then the original Trofeo and maybe a touch slower.

Very progressive release at the limit.

No opinion on wear rate yet, but at first glance appears to at least wear much more evenly across the treadface. I think the whole carcass is stiffened and stabilized. Anyone who drove the old Trofeo knows what I mean, the fronts especially wore really weirdly.

Same hot pressures: 29 psi!

The sidewalls feels better, stiffer. Turn-in is very sharp and precise.

They are new and I have to see how they feel tomorrow with a fresh butt

If I had to sum it in a sentence I would say a more friendly and capable, street-legal, ultimate track-day tire. Not a slick, not an R6 by any means, but way better than a MPSC or Corsa System.

Anyone else that scored a set and have managed to get a track day on them, I would be enjoy reading your comments.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks Savy! When you get home post up some pics of the tread wear after 2 days.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

I'll be at the Ridge on Monday with them. Can't wait to try them out!

29 PSI front and rear? Seems low for the rear... I see the recommendation for 2 Bar pressure, but it also says to be adjusted for the type of car. I'll keep looking for any Porsche specific info from Pirelli.

My installer had a hell of a time seating the tires- took over 100 lbs of pressure to get them to finally seat up into my Forgeline rims!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:15 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks Savy! When you get home post up some pics of the tread wear after 2 days.
Will do

Originally Posted by montoya
I'll be at the Ridge on Monday with them. Can't wait to try them out!

29 PSI front and rear? Seems low for the rear... I see the recommendation for 2 Bar pressure, but it also says to be adjusted for the type of car. I'll keep looking for any Porsche specific info from Pirelli.

My installer had a hell of a time seating the tires- took over 100 lbs of pressure to get them to finally seat up into my Forgeline rims!
29psi is the number, 30 max. Any more and you will simply wear the center tread out and have a loose rear. Tires were designed and developed with GT2 and GT3RS in mind.

Trofeo = 100+psi needed to seat the bead when installing Always freaks installers out the first time they put a set on.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They actually aren't supposed to be as fast as the regular Trofeo. They are designed to have 50% better tread life. The real questions are how much slower than the regular Trofeo are they and how do they wear over time? I am really curious how they compare to Corsas?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
They actually aren't supposed to be as fast as the regular Trofeo. They are designed to have 50% better tread life.
You mean they will last 3 trackdays in stead of 2?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:59 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
They actually aren't supposed to be as fast as the regular Trofeo. They are designed to have 50% better tread life. The real questions are how much slower than the regular Trofeo are they and how do they wear over time? I am really curious how they compare to Corsas?
Where do you get that information? Pirelli's website claims better dry grip and longer lasting.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy

29psi is the number, 30 max. Any more and you will simply wear the center tread out and have a loose rear. Tires were designed and developed with GT2 and GT3RS in mind.

Trofeo = 100+psi needed to seat the bead when installing Always freaks installers out the first time they put a set on.
OK- I'll set them to 2 BAR hot. Just put them on and took a spirited drive around the hills here. Feels really good on the road, looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Thanks for the update, Pete. Very eager to give my set a try once I can get them mounted to some new wheels. Sub'd for more updates.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
LOL, I got 5 days out of my original Trofeos. They may even be a 6th for the rears but the fronts are DONE. Strange wear like Savy mentioned.

Day 5 for mine were at VIR north course. Even though it was 103 degrees with a 110 heat index, they felt great but not like day 1 tires.

On the 2nd day I put on a brand new set of R888s on the same rims (OZ Ultraleggers) and man, not as crisp on turn in and the rear felt a little loose before it set in. 2nd day always feels better on the R888s once they have been scrubbed in.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
LOL, I got 5 days out of my original Trofeos. They may even be a 6th for the rears but the fronts are DONE. Strange wear like Savy mentioned.

Day 5 for mine were at VIR north course. Even though it was 103 degrees with a 110 heat index, they felt great but not like day 1 tires.

On the 2nd day I put on a brand new set of R888s on the same rims (OZ Ultraleggers) and man, not as crisp on turn in and the rear felt a little loose before it set in. 2nd day always feels better on the R888s once they have been scrubbed in.
I bet the R888 are like $6-700 less too. I find that R888 are much much better on Day 3 and 4 than when new.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Originally Posted by ir_fuel

Tire shavers are ur friend
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Okay dokey...same tires but w and w/o flash. Two days.

I can't see how they will last any longer than the "old" Trofeos. Still some feathering of the center rib. I am very careful to drop pressures as needed and these spent 95% of their life so far at 29-30 psi hot.

-2.0 camber in the front and -1.8 in the rear and based upon the wear I would not change alignment. If I did it would to reduce camber. Some folks might think to try to move wear onto the two inboard ribs, that would be a mistake, they are there to carry braking not cornering.

Next event I will experiment with even lower pressures: 28-29 psi hot, maybe even less.

Would need to drive original and R back to back to determine any lap time difference but my gut tells me the R is a tad slower.
Attached Images     
Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Savy:

Are you running these low (29psi hot) pressures on the street also?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996toomey
Savy:

Are you running these low (29psi hot) pressures on the street also?

Thanks.
I drive it home (1 hour) at approx 26 psi, then air them up to street pressure the next day. Have always done this on Trofeos, never experience any problems.

Quick Reply: Trofeo R Report