Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 AM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nycjwi
Has anyone been able to make this work?? I think it only works on a track correct?
I have gotten it to work, made a track myself of neighbors hood.

If you keep it on the phone it is pretty neat with caveats

The main issue is they overexposed the camera app so you wash out in sunlight, and it appears to be a fixed setting.
The overlays are nice but you have to work on camera aim to make sure you done cut off your video (aim camera so you get 1/3rd of the hood in the frame, then the overlays are on the hood)
Mounting the phone is rough, you want it horizontal for best pic, but most mount default to vertical. The RAM mount is the best I have found.

If you want to get the info off the phone this is where it falls apart, you can get the data, or the video, but not combined, so no YouTube self promotion.

I have my dealer getting me in touch with PCNA so I can give them my comments (work in the phone industry).

It has the potential to be great, but it's still a couple of versions away
Old 01-21-2015, 11:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
If you want to get the info off the phone this is where it falls apart, you can get the data, or the video, but not combined, so no YouTube self promotion.

I have my dealer getting me in touch with PCNA so I can give them my comments (work in the phone industry).

It has the potential to be great, but it's still a couple of versions away
Unacceptable as-is for TCN. Please keep us posted
Old 01-21-2015, 11:33 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
I have gotten it to work, made a track myself of neighbors hood. If you keep it on the phone it is pretty neat with caveats The main issue is they overexposed the camera app so you wash out in sunlight, and it appears to be a fixed setting. The overlays are nice but you have to work on camera aim to make sure you done cut off your video (aim camera so you get 1/3rd of the hood in the frame, then the overlays are on the hood) Mounting the phone is rough, you want it horizontal for best pic, but most mount default to vertical. The RAM mount is the best I have found. If you want to get the info off the phone this is where it falls apart, you can get the data, or the video, but not combined, so no YouTube self promotion. I have my dealer getting me in touch with PCNA so I can give them my comments (work in the phone industry). It has the potential to be great, but it's still a couple of versions away
My understanding is that you can pull data right off of the car through the usb slot in the glove compartment. Perhaps is the way around the problem?
Old 01-21-2015, 12:32 PM
jimmermd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an app update today that is supposed to flash the app control unit firmware. Hopefully this helps.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:29 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
My understanding is that you can pull data right off of the car through the usb slot in the glove compartment. Perhaps is the way around the problem?
Tried this, most of the data is null. There has to be a problem with it
Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11975895
Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Teo
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

do less than Harrys lap timer + obdkey that cost a few $
Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 AM
Racer99
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11992576

Hello everybody,

I’m from Germany. And I normally read only in this and other Forums.

I also chose the new Sport Chrono Package with the Track Precision App, so I was a little bit confused of the problems around Video that “orthojoe” had with.
Because of the Winter I had no possibility to go on a Racetrack (excited on spring), but I tested the System here on some roads around and it works fine. Video is also every time good synchronized.
At the first time I need some time to set it up, but then it is quite easy to use. I think that Porsche will care the App and extend the features. And note, that the Smartphonecams are getting better and better. I can recommend this Option.

I’m fine with it, that the Video with data were merged directly in the Phone. At Harrys Laptimer you have always to sync yourself and render it together. This needs lots of time and space on the Phone.

You can also easy record your Phonescreen with some tools, so you get one Videofile for Youtube. I read the FAQs and I found a tip/ hint for this > (2.16 How can I view my smartphone screen in large format on my PC or TV?)
For Mac I found the Software “Reflector” which uses Airplay. You only start this and connect your iPhone with usb. Now you can easily record the Screen and also the Video with Data.
It also works with HDMI and other Software…
If you search only the Videos that are recorded with the App, you have to go on iTunes. See the Point 2.11 in the FAQs ( For iOS devices, you will find the files in iTunes under "Smartphone Name" > Apps > File Sharing > Track Precision App.)

Today I had a day off, so I wanted also to make sure that the App works fine, when I go on the Track. So I made a short recording and created a Hands-on with a Demovideo.
But I had not such great ride like “orthojoe” (I’m jealous ;-)).

Here the YouTube Video:

@“orthojoe”: You have to try it once more. I think with your recording and video is something going wrong. (I use an iPhone 5s, and the latest V1.2.6)

Greetings from cold Germany
Racer99
Old 01-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Racer99
Track Day

Originally Posted by Teo
do less than Harrys lap timer + obdkey that cost a few $
I also used OBD Adapter and different Apps before. But from OBD you get not every information from the car like Breakpressure, Steeringwheelangle or Accelarations and the Data was very slow (1Hz) > so near Useless.
The Track App uses 10Hz CAN Data.
And for what I need the Tempretures? They are near constant, if you reach the operating temperature. > So I have only to look on it, before start to go up with the Revs. For this I use the Displays in the Car.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Racer99
I also used OBD Adapter and different Apps before. But from OBD you get not every information from the car like Breakpressure, Steeringwheelangle or Accelarations and the Data was very slow (1Hz) > so near Useless.
The Track App uses 10Hz CAN Data.
And for what I need the Tempretures? They are near constant, if you reach the operating temperature. > So I have only to look on it, before start to go up with the Revs. For this I use the Displays in the Car.
Yes, the track app uses 10hz, but i don't think it is CAN.
With Aim, you will get brake pressure, steering angle, temps, etc through obd2 at 10Hz. If you get the data via AiM Solo using CAN it is 50Hz.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racer99
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11992576

Hello everybody,

I’m from Germany. And I normally read only in this and other Forums.

I also chose the new Sport Chrono Package with the Track Precision App, so I was a little bit confused of the problems around Video that “orthojoe” had with.
Because of the Winter I had no possibility to go on a Racetrack (excited on spring), but I tested the System here on some roads around and it works fine. Video is also every time good synchronized.
At the first time I need some time to set it up, but then it is quite easy to use. I think that Porsche will care the App and extend the features. And note, that the Smartphonecams are getting better and better. I can recommend this Option.

I’m fine with it, that the Video with data were merged directly in the Phone. At Harrys Laptimer you have always to sync yourself and render it together. This needs lots of time and space on the Phone.

You can also easy record your Phonescreen with some tools, so you get one Videofile for Youtube. I read the FAQs and I found a tip/ hint for this > (2.16 How can I view my smartphone screen in large format on my PC or TV?)
For Mac I found the Software “Reflector” which uses Airplay. You only start this and connect your iPhone with usb. Now you can easily record the Screen and also the Video with Data.
It also works with HDMI and other Software…
If you search only the Videos that are recorded with the App, you have to go on iTunes. See the Point 2.11 in the FAQs ( For iOS devices, you will find the files in iTunes under "Smartphone Name" > Apps > File Sharing > Track Precision App.)

Today I had a day off, so I wanted also to make sure that the App works fine, when I go on the Track. So I made a short recording and created a Hands-on with a Demovideo.
But I had not such great ride like “orthojoe” (I’m jealous ;-)).

Here the YouTube Video:
Porsche Track Precision App Test/ Demo - YouTube

@“orthojoe”: You have to try it once more. I think with your recording and video is something going wrong. (I use an iPhone 5s, and the latest V1.2.6)

Greetings from cold Germany
Racer99
Thank you for this! Very informative.

Why do I feel that your name is Harry? lol
Old 01-28-2015, 06:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Harry, I'll give it another try. The phone I used was an older iPhone 5 (not S). Please do something about video export. It's not usable otherwise.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:09 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

The real question is, should I use the Porsche Precision App or HLT? Does it make my Harry's LapTimer Grand Prix Edition obsolete? lolol
Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Sorry if I didn't see it on the thread, but what is the refresh rate? I assume that the car is acquiring the GPS signal internally rather than using the phone, right?

With HLT, I used the external GPS puck as well as the OBD2 port in order to get good readings. I assume that at least with this app, we don't need an external GPS for a faster refresh rate.

I also use an Aim Solo 2 DL on the track, but I want something easier than me having to go export the data and go to RaceRender to overlay things...
Old 01-29-2015, 04:58 AM
Racer99
Track Day

Originally Posted by nlpamg
Thank you for this! Very informative.

Why do I feel that your name is Harry? lol
Sorry, but I'm not Harry...

Originally Posted by nlpamg
I assume that at least with this app, we don't need an external GPS for a faster refresh rate.
If you go in the Helpfunction of the App, you find the diffrences described between the diffrent GPS Sources. Porsche recomends also for best results an external BT GPS.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App