Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 05:44 AM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer99
Sorry, but I'm not Harry...

If you go in the Helpfunction of the App, you find the diffrences described between the diffrent GPS Sources. Porsche recomends also for best results an external BT GPS.
Thank you.

That is absolutely horrible. This app is garbage then. I still have to use an external GPS puck with it?! Basically, the Sport Chrono Package is a grossly overpriced Bluetooth OBD2 module.

I would have been happy just paying $500 for a nice clock. What a terrible gimmick.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This app is probably one of the biggest let downs in options to me. I certainly hope Porsche comes out with a FREE update and/or option soon.

$1850 clock...well really $2350 for me since I have it in guards red. What a waste.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Racer99
Track Day

For me it is not waste.
I don't need to buy a VBox or AIM Solo (maybe you have one already...) and of course they are more professional.
I don't need to install something and have lot of wires inside.
And you don't need additional Software or PC to analyze your drive.
At least it's really cool to show somebody the App directly with your Videos on it.
I hope Porsche take care of the App and improve and extend it.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Agreed 100%. Huge let down.

Too bad nobody that had their car delivered with this before all of our orders locked could even figure out how to use it to uncover this info in time for us to uncheck the option. That should have been a warning flag already...

Originally Posted by nlpamg
Thank you.

That is absolutely horrible. This app is garbage then. I still have to use an external GPS puck with it?! Basically, the Sport Chrono Package is a grossly overpriced Bluetooth OBD2 module.

I would have been happy just paying $500 for a nice clock. What a terrible gimmick.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Harry (sorry, I can't help myself, LOL),

There are a few reasons why this app is a major fail:

1) It has the same quirks that are inevitable with any type of wireless system using a device (such as a smart phone) which isn't dedicated to a specific application.

2) If you are recommending that we use an external GPS, then that tells me that he GPS data recorded is NOT 10Hz, and is actually interpolated data (likely from a internal 1hz gps antenna). Nobody is going to buy that stupid lap beacon thing that porsche is selling.

3) You cannot export video without a complicated workaround that nobody will do.

4) The biggest reason that this is a fail is that it works just like HLT (arguably not as good as HLT because at least you can export video with HLT). HLT costs what, $25?. That is a GREAT value for what it does, and is appropriate for entry level timing/beginners. The track app costs $1850. That is a colossal ripoff.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

My dealer tried to talk me into SC. He thought, as in previous versions of SC, there was some performance advantage. After I explained it to him he said he wouldn't recommend it.

AIM and CAN bus just seems to make better sense.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

This is one situation where I think even Porschephiles have to admit the Corvette Performance Data Recorder is better.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
This is one situation where I think even Porschephiles have to admit the Corvette Performance Data Recorder is better.
Hell my nieces Barbie car has a better PDR...won't admit anything about Vette
Old 01-29-2015, 08:50 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My build was pushed from 2014 to 2015 and Porsche honored the price of options at 2014 MSRP, that's the only reason I retained the Sport Chrono and I like the look of the clock. At present it's a pretty lame PDR and certainly not an adequate substitute for an AIM unit.

Ryan
Old 02-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Perhaps what is most frustrating for me (as an engineer) is that with the wifi access to the car's internal data at (I assume) reasonable bandwidth, there was huge potential for this Track Precision option to be just as functional as the AiM Solo / Smartycam stuff, yet more convenient.

It's kind of like seeing someone with huge potential throw it all away by simply not trying...

With Harry's lap timer, I can at least see the limitations in operating on a wide range of 3rd party phone hardware and being limited by in-cabin GPS signal, etc. But Porsche's underlying sensors for track precision could be dedicated in the car and 100% consistent across the entire user base. What a perfect platform, squandered!

End rant (for now).
Old 02-07-2015, 11:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Just got back from the track today and this was the result of my track app experience today:

1) 1st session I couldn't log anything because the track had to be learned/programmed
2) 2nd session the program overlayed my data over OLD VIDEO from a DIFFERENT track from a DIFFERENT day 2 weeks ago
3) 3rd session worked, but I couldn't find the video of my best lap because they don't mark what your lap time is until you watch the very end of each lap
4) 4th session it recorded the first lap and then stopped working

I'm done with even trying to get this damn thing to work. Solo DL FTW.

Last edited by orthojoe; 02-08-2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

I love VBOX.
My new RS will have the new race logic Vbox hd.
Plug and play. Never could get Harry's to work and the Porsche ap is laughable. Maybe send them over to Chevy, at least that's idiotproof vbox like.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:34 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Just got back from the track today and this was the result of my track app experience today:

1) 1st session I could log anything because the track had to be learned/programmed
2) 2nd session the program overlayed my data over OLD VIDEO from a DIFFERENT track from a DIFFERENT day 2 weeks ago
3) 3rd session worked, but I couldn't find the video of my best lap because they don't mark what your lap time is until you watch the very end of each lap
4) 4th session it recorded the first lap and then stopped working

I'm done with even trying to get this damn thing to work. Solo DL FTW.
Complain to Porsche!! Post videos of what the Porsche app is doing so we can forward it around.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Complain to Porsche!! Post videos of what the Porsche app is doing so we can forward it around.
+1

Seems like the potential is there and Porsche should be motivated to make this option somewhat if not fully competitive with the PDR on the Corvette.

Ryan
Old 02-08-2015, 12:43 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Maybe this is why the app won't let you export video!!!

In order to correct that video snafu where the program was mixing video from other track days with data that just logged, I had to erase everything, so I don't have anything new to display other than the one session where it did work. Again, probably by design.....

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App