Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Complain to Porsche!! Post videos of what the Porsche app is doing so we can forward it around.
I agree....These issues need to be addressed for those that have spent the money on this option. I'm not a serious tracker but wanted a simple way of recording my trackdays and thought this would be a simple solution but it's not looking that way

Unfortunately I won't get a chance to try this until summer so hopefully you guys in warmer climates will continue to post the issues you've encountered with the hopes that they will get addressed by Porsche...

Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Racer99
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
2) If you are recommending that we use an external GPS, then that tells me that he GPS data recorded is NOT 10Hz, and is actually interpolated data (likely from a internal 1hz gps antenna). Nobody is going to buy that stupid lap beacon thing that porsche is selling.

3) You cannot export video without a complicated workaround that nobody will do.

4) The biggest reason that this is a fail is that it works just like HLT (arguably not as good as HLT because at least you can export video with HLT). HLT costs what, $25?. That is a GREAT value for what it does, and is appropriate for entry level timing/beginners. The track app costs $1850. That is a colossal ripoff.
sorry for late reply, I'm not that often in Forums like you ;-)
to 2) I looked once more on the csv. File > yes the intzernal GPS is interpolated, but not the vehicledata (look on Breckingpressure or accelarations.
to 3) for me it much more easier than trackvision or something else. And the main advantage is, you have it immediatly synced on your Phone > you don't nedd PS Software...
I'm shocked from this manual:
http://wwww.trackvision.net/doc/main.html#sync
to 4) HLT I used before, but it have no CAN-Data connection - OBD is not the same! It's not so easy to oparate and I don't like the design.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Racer99
Track Day

Just got back from the track today and this was the result of my track app experience today:

1) 1st session I couldn't log anything because the track had to be learned/programmed
2) 2nd session the program overlayed my data over OLD VIDEO from a DIFFERENT track from a DIFFERENT day 2 weeks ago
3) 3rd session worked, but I couldn't find the video of my best lap because they don't mark what your lap time is until you watch the very end of each lap
4) 4th session it recorded the first lap and then stopped working

I'm done with even trying to get this damn thing to work. Solo DL FTW.
to 1) yes you set in the first lap the Startline (optinal a different Finishline) after crossing the startline it works. But I use the most Map- Editor. Set only a marker and you can start.
to 2) i hope they will fix the bug... there was an update some days ago?!?
to 3) the cup shows always the best laptime, for the lap-overview you have to choose first the recording

I hope I can help somebody with this information and Porsche read this threds...

Greetings from Germany

Last edited by Racer99; 03-11-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer99
sorry for late reply, I'm not that often in Forums like you ;-)
to 2) I looked once more on the csv. File > yes the intzernal GPS is interpolated, but not the vehicledata (look on Breckingpressure or accelarations.
to 3) for me it much more easier than trackvision or something else. And the main advantage is, you have it immediatly synced on your Phone > you don't nedd PS Software...
I'm shocked from this manual:
http://wwww.trackvision.net/doc/main.html#sync
to 4) HLT I used before, but it have no CAN-Data connection - OBD is not the same! It's not so easy to oparate and I don't like the design.
Interpolated GPS data is a total deal breaker. This means that recorded lap times are not accurate and you need either an external GPS or the stupid Porsche beacon that NOBODY will buy. For $1850, the very least that Porsche could do is put in a 10Hz GPS receiver or better, but they didn't. This is a total fail by Porsche.

Simplicity means nothing if it doesn't work, is unreliable, and isn't accurate

It's funny that you don't like the design of HLT because the it looks very similar to HLT but HLT works better and will at least let you export video.

Originally Posted by Racer99
to 1) yes you set in the first lap the Startline (optinal a different Finishline) after crossing the startline it works. But I use the most Map- Editor. Set only a marker and you can start.
to 2) i hope they will fix the bug... there was an update some days ago?!?
to 3) the cup shows always the best laptime, for the lap-overview you have to choose first the recording

I hope I can help somebody with this information and Porsche read this threds...

Greetings from Germany
The last update for the track app was 2/26. I will try it again ONE more time this Friday, but I don't see the point since accuracy is only 1hz.

If Porsche wants to fix this and make it better, I would recommend

1) video export
2) synchronization with the actual sport chrono clock and PCM display
3) an upgraded GPS receiver
4) a dedicated piece of hardware running the program and not a phone
5) a camera

I mean, com'on... $1850???
Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

deleted
Old 03-11-2015, 02:14 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interpolated GPS data is a total deal breaker. This means that recorded lap times are not accurate and you need either an external GPS
isn't an external GPS beacon fairly inexpensive? The one Harry's Lap Timer recommends is $75...
Old 03-11-2015, 03:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
isn't an external GPS beacon fairly inexpensive? The one Harry's Lap Timer recommends is $75...
It's about $100 or so for one, but due to wireless connection and/or running the data through a phone, it's another point of failure. I've seen HLT data runs using external GPS where the car is magically teleporting across a track...
Old 03-11-2015, 10:07 PM
devenh
Instructor

This means that recorded lap times are not accurate
Harry has written more than once that "LapTimer uses sophisticated interpolation technics to derive accuracy of 0.1 or 0.05 seconds even for 1 Hz devices."

I have been using HLT for 2+ years and I'm well aware of all the issues, but Harry's claim makes sense to me.

The best case measurement of lap time would be if the GPS was recorded just as you crossed the S/F at both the beginning and end of the lap.

The worst case would be if the car crossed the S/F half way between two GPS measurements for both the start and end of the lap. This would result in the maximum interpolation for both the start time and end time. But since the S/F is almost always on a straight there are no directional differences in the measurements and each measurement is probably under acceleration at about the same speed, I would have to agree with Harry that HLT is accurate to within 0.1 seconds.

I would hope the Porsche app is just about as accurate.

What would be interesting is to compare HLT, Porsche app, and transponder lap times and see how close they are?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by devenh
Harry has written more than once that "LapTimer uses sophisticated interpolation technics to derive accuracy of 0.1 or 0.05 seconds even for 1 Hz devices." I have been using HLT for 2+ years and I'm well aware of all the issues, but Harry's claim makes sense to me. The best case measurement of lap time would be if the GPS was recorded just as you crossed the S/F at both the beginning and end of the lap. The worst case would be if the car crossed the S/F half way between two GPS measurements for both the start and end of the lap. This would result in the maximum interpolation for both the start time and end time. But since the S/F is almost always on a straight there are no directional differences in the measurements and each measurement is probably under acceleration at about the same speed, I would have to agree with Harry that HLT is accurate to within 0.1 seconds. I would hope the Porsche app is just about as accurate. What would be interesting is to compare HLT, Porsche app, and transponder lap times and see how close they are?
If so, then why does HLT and Porsche make provisions for and recommend an external GPS receiver/beacon?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:48 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone try to install an AiM MXL2 into a GT3 yet?

Porsche app should just be a check to each person that ordered the option and they give up on the idea. Would be happy with that and it's about the same price as the MXL2 at $2k.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:19 PM
devenh
Instructor

If so, then why does HLT and Porsche make provisions for and recommend an external GPS receiver/beacon?
I'm not saying that a 5mhz or 10mhz device is not better, indeed I use one myself (I suffer from compulsive upgrade disorder), but does this buy you much? I suspect not for lap times. For plotting one's speed through a corner, perhaps so.

In two weeks I may have an opportunity to compare HLT to a transponder. If so, I'll post results. Still waiting for my GT3 (and yes, I ordered the Sports Chrono package because, well, I am a sucker for gizmos).
Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I'm not saying that a 5mhz or 10mhz device is not better, indeed I use one myself (I suffer from compulsive upgrade disorder), but does this buy you much? I suspect not for lap times. For plotting one's speed through a corner, perhaps so.

In two weeks I may have an opportunity to compare HLT to a transponder. If so, I'll post results. Still waiting for my GT3 (and yes, I ordered the Sports Chrono package because, well, I am a sucker for gizmos).
I'm a sucker for gizmos too. Unfortunately... I got suckered.

Hope this doesn't happen to you too (I wish this was the only time video turned out like this... but it isnt):

Old 03-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Racer99
Track Day

Yes I thinks it improve the GPS Plot on the Map a lot.
I want to see your results...

I think for "normal" Trackdays the Laptime is not that important (Traffic etc), more importatnt is the Speedcomparision over the Track/ Distance.
And it could be that Porsche uses the wheel speeds to the correction of GPS (they are available). But have so far not made any comparisons ...
Old 03-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Racer99
Track Day

Default Walter Röhrl and the Porsche Cayman GT4: onboard camera

found something:
https://vimeo.com/121973619
or
and
https://vimeo.com/121973353
Old 03-12-2015, 04:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

Still looks like crap.

What are the DME overrev stages fro a GT4 to void warranty?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App