Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:35 PM
set4lfe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App

Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App

Did anyone get this option?

I currently have a video vbox in my 997.2 Turbo for the track. Wondering if the Porsche software is better?
Old 09-20-2014, 05:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I did. I already use AiM solo DL, and I'm a big data/video guy.
Unfortunately, nobody knows anything specific about the new track precision app. I decided to take a gamble on it. It could end up being a huge waste, or it could be very cool. It would be nice to have an OEM integrated system that is foolproof reliable. I'm hoping it allows for raw data export so I can make my own video overlay with dashware/trackvision. Since nobody has used it yet, somebody had to be the guinea pig. Since I love this kind of stuff, I volunteered.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No 2015 GT3's have been delivered yet. Many people are getting it but no one has been able to try it out yet.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:57 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I got it. No clue how its going to work.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:17 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. I got it as well. No clue on how it will work. Fairly expensive option to roll the dice on to be honest. Hope it is effective at the track.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:10 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got it as well. Someone posted more info on it in another thread about having an overlay video feature on an iphone (or Gopro, maybe just maybe but I'm not positive about that one). I like like stuff that integrates with each other, so I rolled the dice and ticked the box.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:48 AM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got it and hope that it works with GoPro. It is indeed pricy but I also like the new wart.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I got it too. I just wanted the fancy stopwatch on the dash.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:49 AM
cantdrive55
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Details - Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App

take a look at these links for details - looks pretty robust, comprehensive and well integrated with PCM and smartphones - ability to view 800 racetracks - glad it was ordered on mine:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...hrono-package/

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...o-package/app/
Old 09-21-2014, 11:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

^ looks great. I just hope that the data is not locked specifically to the app and can be exported as a .csv file for use in more powerful desktop/laptop programs.

Part of me wonders if this is nothing more than a rebadged version of HLT
Old 09-21-2014, 11:22 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I wonder if the smartphone is showing the graphics or the screen inside the car? Does the phone need to be in the car (bt connection) or can someone trackside hold it and see what is happening? This option interests me because of the beautiful clock I'll be honest, but the functionality could be cool.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I wonder if the smartphone is showing the graphics or the screen inside the car? Does the phone need to be in the car (bt connection) or can someone trackside hold it and see what is happening? This option interests me because of the beautiful clock I'll be honest, but the functionality could be cool.
I looks like display on the PCM screen based on the website pictures, which is nice. No BT connection is strong enough to stay connected to a car traveling around a track. My BT headset I use to communicated with buddies as I'm driving around track will fade out if the distance is more than around 1/2 mile.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Tre
Racer

Sounds like your smart phone needs to be in the car?
"Secure your smartphone in a holder designed for this purpose."

Also, curious how the video is captured?
"A video analysis of driving performance can be produced on a smartphone or tablet immediately after the vehicle is stopped."

Does it rely on video captured with the smart phone's native camera and then processed via a Porsche app (a la Harry's Lap Timer)? Ironically, Harry is from Germany and is a Porsche owner (default car is a C2S when app is first installed).
Old 09-21-2014, 11:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tre
Sounds like your smart phone needs to be in the car?
"Secure your smartphone in a holder designed for this purpose."

Also, curious how the video is captured?
"A video analysis of driving performance can be produced on a smartphone or tablet immediately after the vehicle is stopped."

Does it rely on video captured with the smart phone's native camera and then processed via a Porsche app (a la Harry's Lap Timer)? Ironically, Harry is from Germany and is a Porsche owner (default car is a C2S when app is first installed).
I believe video is captured via the smartphone. No camera in the car, and would be surprised if it takes gopro. I would not be surprised at all if this software was developed with Harry.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Tre
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I believe video is captured via the smartphone. No camera in the car, and would be surprised if it takes gopro. I would not be surprised at all if this software was developed with Harry.
Definitely my line of logic. Too bad others haven't thought of the integrated camera like the General did with the Z06. But hey, the Vette has always been used to push features (ie., HUD, etc.). It was never a big issue using my iPhone with Harry's, especially with the pnp option to leverage gopro footage, but my new iPhablet (aka, iPhone 6 Plus) might be a challenge in the future.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App