Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:06 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I know my videos look like crap on YouTube, so I am wondering how the 2.0 compares to the GoPro on the original files. 1080p 60FPS GoPro videos are incredible.
I have seen original smarty cam HD videos and still have them on my hard drive. I can confirm they look and sound that bad from the original files as well.
Make sure you're uploading in HD. My gopro videos look just as good on YouTube as they do on the original files
Old 12-04-2014, 01:07 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I did not "spec" my particular car, I guess I am wondering if this, the track package, might be a "software" only item that could be retrofitted to the vehicle?
Old 12-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mlpor
Since I did not "spec" my particular car, I guess I am wondering if this, the track package, might be a "software" only item that could be retrofitted to the vehicle?
There is hardware required as well, all of it can be purchased through Porsche Tequipment.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by mlpor
There's a wifi endpoint added to the car, at least.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

So has anyone gotten this new setup working on a track yet? Any good?

Still on the fence about dropping this and just investing in the whole AiM system instead that is known to work well.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone with the "precision track app" been able to make it work off track? Although I know there's been discussions of what would be the point of recording off track, I still think it would make it much more versatile of a tool. The GM version, although not the best overlay option out there, is quite a bargain with its abilities. I'm sure everyone has seen or heard about the owner who caught a valet hitting 60 in the parking garage with the Z06 recording in valet mode. But the GM camera even records while driving on regular roads without any complexity (
).
Old 12-24-2014, 08:56 PM
shentca
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Tre
Has anyone with the "precision track app" been able to make it work off track? Although I know there's been discussions of what would be the point of recording off track, I still think it would make it much more versatile of a tool. The GM version, although not the best overlay option out there, is quite a bargain with its abilities. I'm sure everyone has seen or heard about the owner who caught a valet hitting 60 in the parking garage with the Z06 recording in valet mode. But the GM camera even records while driving on regular roads without any complexity (2015 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Z06 running the Tail of the Dragon in 10 minutes easily - YouTube).
Definitely works off track, haven't tried in on track yet. You need to define the 'track' first. Your track can be anything as long as you set start and finish points. The video can be downloaded from your phone in raw format (.mov). Not sure how to have the porsche overlays downloaded with it. Can combine the raw video with the data file to make your own video with overlays. I have tried it with an iphone 5 so far.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Toprpm
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tre
Has anyone with the "precision track app" been able to make it work off track? Although I know there's been discussions of what would be the point of recording off track, I still think it would make it much more versatile of a tool. The GM version, although not the best overlay option out there, is quite a bargain with its abilities. I'm sure everyone has seen or heard about the owner who caught a valet hitting 60 in the parking garage with the Z06 recording in valet mode. But the GM camera even records while driving on regular roads without any complexity (2015 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Z06 running the Tail of the Dragon in 10 minutes easily - YouTube).
I just tryied it off track.

1- made new track,
2- chosen number of sections.
3- went back and recorded the track by car GPS.
4- Then started the recording.

It gave me REC as soon as i hit start point, but after end point i didnt stop by it self , which is normal to record many truns. so i stop recording.

Went to record , it was empty, went to analyst . was empty. not sure what is wrong.

here is a pic of the track i recorded.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Tre
Racer

Thanks for the update guys. The app sounds just as finicky as Harry's LT. I completely understand manufacturers building in safety mechanisms (i.e., not being able to play certain media when driving, not being able to use touch screen nav commands when driving, etc.), but I was hoping there would simply be a start/stop record function that didn't rely on a start/finish line (a la HLT app).
Old 12-25-2014, 03:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

Never could get Harry's to work.
Why can't it be simple? Just copy the basics of VBox without underlying data...
Old 12-25-2014, 07:06 PM
shentca
6th Gear

I just tryied it off track.

1- made new track,
2- chosen number of sections.
3- went back and recorded the track by car GPS.
4- Then started the recording.

It gave me REC as soon as i hit start point, but after end point i didnt stop by it self , which is normal to record many truns. so i stop recording.

Went to record , it was empty, went to analyst . was empty. not sure what is wrong.

here is a pic of the track i recorded.
I can't tell from your map the distances, but you need to have 3 seconds or a certain distance (can't remember how much) between sector markers or start/finish for it to work.
If its an iphone check in itunes to see if it recorded any files.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Toprpm
Advanced

Originally Posted by shentca
I can't tell from your map the distances, but you need to have 3 seconds or a certain distance (can't remember how much) between sector markers or start/finish for it to work.
If its an iphone check in itunes to see if it recorded any files.
Its about 1klm from each sector, using android. i found the directer where the app record log, video, audio, and other database stuff. but, while app was giving REC, nothing was recorded. that's the weird stuff.

will give it another go. on sunday.

time for desert camping.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:05 AM
shentca
6th Gear

If anyone is interested, here are the data points produced by the app. These were taken from the .csv file that was exported. I don't see anything about temps or fuel load (just consumption) which I found surprising.

brakingPressure
currentGear
distanceCounter
electronicStabilityProgram
engineSpeed
fuelConsumption
gearSelection
lapDistance
laptime
lateralAcceleration
longitudinalAcceleration
longitudinalSlipRR
longitudinalSlipRL
longitudinalSlipFR
longitudinalSlipFL
pedalForce
sectorDistance
sectorTime
speed
steeringWheelAngle
timestamp
tirePressureFR
tirePressureFL
tirePressureRR
tirePressureRL
tripDistance
wpoCharismaDamper
wpoCharismaMotor
wpoCharismaTransmission
wpoOversteer
wpoUndersteer
yawVelocity
latitude
longitude
Old 12-29-2014, 01:59 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Seems like a waste of money for the track precision app. Too bad it couldn't display all the info on the PCM display. That way a gopro could just record the data from the screen.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:46 AM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone been able to make this work?? I think it only works on a track correct?

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App