Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:49 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Thanks, Mike. I came across an article on Total 911 with a process for bedding the PCCBs -- but it's from years ago, who knows which generation of PCCB...

I'm sure the current generation simply may not need such a process. In either case, some quick reading:

http://www.total911.com/news/how-to-...eramic-brakes/
Nice article. I wonder if the Porsche dealership perform these steps during their PDI.

Mike...I guess it does not hurt to repeat these steps, just in case they are needed. They seem simple enough. Of course after Porsche releases us from detention
Old 02-23-2014, 12:57 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Very interesting, Tim. Thanks. Might be hard to find a place on public roads where you could brake from 100+ MPH...... 45 times....... Mine seem to be working pretty well with an easy first few miles and then a few hard stops in normal road driving.
We are under the impression California drivers normally drive at these speeds on their freeways, or at least that is the impression we all have about you in Oregon & Washington state
Old 02-23-2014, 01:00 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Mike in CA -- I know! Haha. Just curious if anyone followed such procedures, or something close to it. But it seems like with the current gen of PCCBs it's not necessary.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:34 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe Porsche should step up and give all of us waiting a combined ED with fireworks and.......a Bon fire?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:10 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
I just went through this whole ordeal. My pickup date is April 2nd. Normally, if you cancel your ED, there is a 1% surcharge applied (on the sale price of the car). But given the tight timelines I have (and I told the dealer way back when I ordered the car that ED had to happen within a specific window) and that a cancellation on my part would only come if Porsche changes the date, I had the 1% clause waived.

For ED, cars are actually delivered to the 'dealer' in Zuffenhausen/Leipzig, two weeks before the scheduled pickup date. So if the build isn't on schedule, we'll know well ahead of time. Fix priority apparently is also being given to ED cars.

I would recommend waiting till Porsche calls to tell us all is good, which should be 3 weeks or so before pickup date. More than enough time to get a ticket at a reasonable price. My understanding is that if Porsche confirms the date, you book tickets and then they change the date on you, Porsche will reimburse the cost of the ticket (up to a certain undisclosed amount).
I really hope you'll get yours just fine. I'm having withdrawal after not driving it for just 5 days. I only had that with my first ever car! Surprised about your strict ED timing - I thought you retired and had nothing else to do but drive cars and talk about it on the internet (not that there is anything wrong with that).
Old 02-23-2014, 02:16 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mqandil
We are under the impression California drivers normally drive at these speeds on their freeways, or at least that is the impression we all have about you in Oregon & Washington state
Having just moved from North East, I'm under impression that drivers in California drive 10 below limit in leftmost lane, and floor the brakes when they see a cop (event though they drive below speed limit). Too much weed here or too little driver education. Sorry for the rant, but drive to Tahoe this morning was just too annoying.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:32 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Having just moved from North East, I'm under impression that drivers in California drive 10 below limit in leftmost lane, and floor the brakes when they see a cop (event though they drive below speed limit). Too much weed here or too little driver education. Sorry for the rant, but drive to Tahoe this morning was just too annoying.
Max, sorry to hear about your frustration. If you can't stand it anymore, we would love to have you up here. It would be nice to have more 991 GT3 owners. Currently we are only 3 individuals who have the 991 GT3 in our area.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:01 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Max, sorry to hear about your frustration. If you can't stand it anymore, we would love to have you up here. It would be nice to have more 991 GT3 owners. Currently we are only 3 individuals who have the 991 GT3 in our area.
Well, I'm actually contemplating moving to Vancouver once I'm done with my work in SF. But it's not too bad here - it just annoying because it makes no sense and can be easily fixed. Another funny thing is when you flesh high beams at someone in europe, they move over in a hurry and sometimes even apologize for not doing it quickly enough. Here is you do this, it's a start of a mini-vendetta on the road, as if I got his sister pregnant or something like that.

Anyway, to be fair I lived in many places, and California is one of the best. The only reason I'm venting is that it could have been PERFECT with just a little more common sense.

Back on topic - for some reason, my sales rep did not want to inform me on the next steps via email. I'm probably reading too much into this, but what's left to do with no real info. All I want to hear is "we'll get your car sorted out within a week, and meanwhile you can drive this 997.2 GT3 with a fresh set of R-comps that we were planning to replace next week anyway" is that too much to ask???
Old 02-23-2014, 03:35 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the latest update from the UAE.

Just got a call that my car will be picked up by flatbed at 8:00 am tomorrow morning and will be taken to storage at the service center.

Still no confirmation that our cars here are affected but this is the instructions they have gotten from porsche to do so they are implementing it.

They gave me a face lifted panamera as a replacement.

Will update when more information arises
Old 02-23-2014, 03:51 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

I am sure these are great for the track, but I am curious, how do they perform at low speed around the city.
Fwiw, almost no serious track junkies run PCCB. The running costs are simply too high. Even if their gt3 came with them, they swap out to iron.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
General question -- My car is due to arrive at my home port in the next week or so. Assuming that the stop sale is still in effect, does the car stay stored at the port? Or will it still get delivered to my dealer, where it will lie in wait?
My car arrived at the Port of Houston on 2/11/14, and it is still there so far.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 AM
jonsack
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine got delivered to the dealer and is being stored in a corner of thr detail shop with stop sale,do not touch and no pdi written all over it. I was able to visit and sit in it. Not able to start it or turn it on. It looks great and I can't wait to drive it! Thankfully I am going to SouthAfrica for the Argus bicycle race next week so that should keep the frustration level at bay. Maybe it will be ready on my return mid March. The general manager was at a porsche meeting in Vegas the past week and the consensus is most cars are not affected depending on vin # part suppliers etc. He also said the final answer to the problem is really close hopefully Monday. He gave me my copy of the letter from Porsche while I was there.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Arth
Racer

I feel your pain. At least I got to enjoy mine for a couple if weeks

My service manager also believes not all cars are affected and this is a precaution.

Let's hope so
Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Me either. Also, not a lawyer, but it might be harder to make a warranty claim against Porsche once they've informed you of a potential problem and advised you not to use the car. Things could get especially sticky if others are injured by your car blowing oil all over the freeway.

Admittedly chances of all this are low, but I'm willing to see how things play out. I'm not interested in waiting another 6 months for a car....I like this one.
Exactly what the gentleman I posted about inferred in the phone call from the dealership. Common sense prevailed.
He parked it, they picked it up. EOS.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 AM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

Yep that's gotta hurt. So close and yet so far. definite torture. At least mine hasn't been built yet or at least I don't think it has. I don't know if I should feel good about that or bad. You got to give it to Porsche they definitely keep it interesting!

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?