Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Reading this forum has become depressing. Maybe I'll take a break from the predictions of doom and speculation about how one of the world's most successful sports cars may go **** up over a single part failure, and re-read 1984 or watch Old Yellar to cheer myself up. Sheesh.....
OTOH, you have been overly optimistic with no evidence for your optimism. Is this a tempest in a tea pot? I certainly hope so. But as I wrote elsewhere, the longer it takes the more inclined I am to think Porsche is facing an unprecedented engineering and PR nightmare.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
OTOH, you have been overly optimistic with no evidence for your optimism. Is this a tempest in a tea pot? I certainly hope so. But as I wrote elsewhere, the longer it takes the more inclined I am to think Porsche is facing an unprecedented engineering and PR nightmare.
Optimistic or pessimistic; neither is particularly the issue at this point, AFAIC. Absent facts, it's just tiresome to read the same speculation, endlessly regurgitated. Carry on.....
Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Optimistic or pessimistic; neither is particularly the issue at this point, AFAIC. Absent facts, it's just tiresome to read the same speculation, endlessly regurgitated. Carry on, don't mind me.....
Mike, if I recall we all spent an inordinate amount of bandwidth discussing the GT3, its performance, its possible options and so on. One would think that a critically important subject like a stop drive recall and its possible implications would be relevant and fodder for spirited discussion. No need to denigrate the interaction between those of us affected. After all, we are not talking about a broken bicycle chain but rather a $150,000 car.:big bye:
Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

The fact they have gone this long with rumors of bottom end issues on their newest, most hard core car that is supposed to the "the best car ever" is enough to be worrisome to me. The longer they go with this silence, the less trust I have in them. I wanted this car because I thought for under 175k they built something with an unprecedented fun factor and running gear that is supposed to run with Porsche reliability. But at this point, I'm thinking the reliability and integrity of this car may be more worthy of a new 3 series BMW that costs a lot more.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with Mike. I abandoned this thread a while back. Its only a car. $150K or not its not a deal big enough to loose sleep over. It will all become known shortly.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I agree with Mike. I abandoned this thread a while back. Its only a car. $150K or not its not a deal big enough to loose sleep over. It will all become known shortly.
Says the guy who had an awesome Euro-Trip with his new car before this hit...LOL.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,638 Likes on 2,319 Posts

my guess is that the issue is not major.
but PAG really need to hire better marketing/resolution dept. putting ppl in the dark brews rumor. and as you all know rumor is more true than the truth!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike, if I recall we all spent an inordinate amount of bandwidth discussing the GT3, its performance, its possible options and so on. One would think that a critically important subject like a stop drive recall and its possible implications would be relevant and fodder for spirited discussion. No need to denigrate the interaction between those of us affected. After all, we are not talking about a broken bicycle chain but rather a $150,000 car.:big bye:
Nick, the GT3 conversation became interesting to me when we had actual facts about the car to discuss. Speculation is fine up to a point, but eventually without new input, it's becomes redundant. It's just my personal opinion, but until we have more information, it seems this discussion has reached that point.

Regardless, I don't mean to denigrate anyone; certainly not you. I'm simply expressing my own frustration with the current topic of discussion. If anyone has something new to offer on this subject, I'd be very interested to read about it.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
my guess is that the issue is not major.
but PAG really need to hire better marketing/resolution dept. putting ppl in the dark brews rumor. and as you all know rumor is more true than the truth!
Mooty, why do you think it is not major?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Says the guy who had an awesome Euro-Trip with his new car before this hit...LOL.
Sure. That's why I have no concerns. Because I lived with the car for 30 days and 3500km and it didnt miss a beat. Im as gutted as the next guy that I wont beable to take my car in two weeks time on a 2 week trip exploring all the Tracks in our South Island (Have prepared the 993 for the trip now as a replacement). But Im also pretty confident theyll get it all sorted. I paid way more for my car than the average USA buyer and all in cash in front so I have just as much/more $$$ at stake. Its just like a late house settlement. Stay calm, it will happen.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mooty, why do you think it is not major?
Don't mean to horn in on one of mooty's legendary replies but just read this:

No; just common sense. There was a report that Porsche may have an answer as soon as tomorrow and more than likely this week.

Porsche has made it clear that in their initial investigation they suspect only a small number of cars are involved. The stop sale as they wrote to the dealers was in an "abundance of caution"

Extrapolating from the above facts, I have concluded the stop sale will be short term.

Nick, you wrote that just 2 days ago! It was perfectly logical then and still is today. Add to that the hundreds of engines in development and owner cars that have experienced no problems and the speculation about a design flaw becomes less and less likely.

We'll know shortly, I expect, exactly what the problem and resolution will be. In the meantime, you asked earlier what makes me optimistic? Read your own post for the answer; common sense.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Optimistic or pessimistic; neither is particularly the issue at this point, AFAIC. Absent facts, it's just tiresome to read the same speculation, endlessly regurgitated. Carry on.....
I get your point. I've mostly vacated the C7 Z06 section on Corvetteforum because it's all endless rambling and speculation.

1. Car is so awesome, they won't need a C7 ZR1
2. C7 Z06 will cost $70k base
3. C7 Z06 will cost $100k base
4. It will have a rocket launcher option
5. At full throttle, it will bend time, so you actually arrive at your destination before you left your departure point.

I do hope Porsche comes out with some more information soon to help quell all the negativity in this 991 GT3 section. This is not what all of us wanted to be discussing at this juncture regarding this otherwise awesome machine.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Add to that the hundreds of engines in development and owner cars that have experienced no problems and the speculation about a design flaw becomes less and less likely.
I completely agree that it is very highly unlikely a design flaw. Most likely, it is an out-of-spec part or three that probably affected a small batch of cars.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I hope it isn't major. I just got the unfortunate, but expected email telling me my delivery date got bumped by 5 weeks to May 30.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Don't mean to horn in on one of mooty's legendary replies but just read this:

No; just common sense. There was a report that Porsche may have an answer as soon as tomorrow and more than likely this week.

Porsche has made it clear that in their initial investigation they suspect only a small number of cars are involved. The stop sale as they wrote to the dealers was in an "abundance of caution"

Extrapolating from the above facts, I have concluded the stop sale will be short term.

Nick, you wrote that just 2 days ago! It was perfectly logical then and still is today. Add to that the hundreds of engines in development and owner cars that have experienced no problems and the speculation about a design flaw becomes less and less likely.

We'll know shortly, I expect, exactly what the problem and resolution will be. In the meantime, you asked earlier what makes me optimistic? Read your own post for the answer; common sense.

Mike,I remain optimistic but also realistic. Rereading the Porsche announcement I chose to take an upbeat attitude. I have no doubt Porsche will identify and provide a fix for the problem. My concern remains the extent of the fix. What they do will have an affect on my decision to take the car. You and those who have already taken delivery sadly do not have that option.

FWIW, two days ago I had not read the threads on the BMW S54 Rod Bearing fiasco. I sure hope we do not have to go through that scenario.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?