Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by outline
There seem to be some very short memories on here regarding the way Porsche appear to have treated problems on their cars over the last decade right across the range. From issues big down to small its very much been a case of ignoring design issues and leaving to warranty (or hopefully owners) to fix. Its a simple cost v risk strategy for them in every case. The move towards profit above all else has been gathering pace for a while.
There were engines on the 991 GT3 failed during testing and apparently also during reviews (from rod issues), a simple search should show the heads of those saying as much being bitten off.
IF this is a rod problem and engines are about to be swapped, then its probable that a dice was rolled initially on this but didnt work out quite like they hoped. Failures on the road and with so few miles are harder to brush off than track use failures where owners can be thrown under the bus. Fire also grabs headlines shining a light in a way that a simple blown engine does not
Theres a strong whiff that the issue that is trying to be identified was known all along. If so perhaps this explains the stop sale. There potentially serious risks there if someone is toasted from a decision taken simply on risk strategy.
It sucks massively for all concerned here. I have no dog in this fight, the 991 GT3 does not interest me and I dont own a Porsche road car.
The analysis is correct. I got wind of this at the initial delay and cancelled because I did not have the time or energy to deal with the issue. To be fair Porsche has always had problems that owners had to confront with and without factory support. I think the car will be okay, but there's no question that Porsche initially thought it may be possible to sweep it under the rug. Folks should take a breath because the worst is over. Maybe Porsche could have done a better job of transparency, but that's just not corporate culture anywhere.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:54 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CBG
I have personally talked to Hans Mezger several times during recent years, last time at the Carrera RS Meeting 2012 in Stuttgart. He knows quite well that nearly every Generation of 911 engines had it's Problems - may it be the 2.7L RS with the weak 7R mag case that seldom exceded >40-50k kms without case renewal or line boring, the 911 3,2L & 993 with very premature wearing, soft valve guides, the 964 with hectically developed and technically not very sophisticated crank design often encountering massive cracks/system failures etc.

So in this subject instance the issues seem to be also substantial - but it's really nothing new in Porsche (or in other high-perfomance manufacturers) history.
And don't forget the first model year 964 C4. Known issue of dual mass flywheel disintegrating. Did they recall it? Nope. They put out a tech bulletin.
And waited to see who came in for repair. Wait and see and leave it up to the customer to sort it out. Mine failed at 42k miles. Outside of warranty. The dealer said "sorry mate". I threw a hissy fit and called PCNA. I was unaware of the tech bulletin until someone on the 911 digest forwarded me a copy. I sent that to Porsche with a nice $#&@ letter and wow they acquiesced. So, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The heat is on, and Porsche will fix it. Will there be more issues with this car and any of their other cars? emmmm...yes. Will it be game over....No.
I'm still "all in" on this car. Tomorrow feels like Christmas, just waiting to hear their "newspeak"! In the meantime, watch this video, and realize why you still want this machine. Just like Macca said....

Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Silverrules,
is that on of Porsche's collector enamel posters?
price?

Originally Posted by silverrules
Treated myself with these two goodies to get through this weekend. High quality. check them out.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The comment by TomTom noted below if said by a Porsche person in the know is very concerning. The reason is this, if there is an email or other damaging document that says "we know the bolts aren't the best but lets go with it anyway as we need to gets these cars produced…." and someone was seriously injured or killed MASSIVE lawsuit that Porsche would not win.

If the above is true, Porsche is very lucky the drivers of the two cars did not get injured. If I was the two drivers and if this is true, I would sue Porsche in a heart beat.

comment from TomTom:

And yes there were some indications to the fact the issue was known or at least suspected, I guess they just thought wait and see... And then it literally blew up in their face ;-) but honestly that's what all manufacturers do.
He is pretty embarrassed about the whole thing...
Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^Macca,
Intelligently spoken!!!
+1....

Am still on the RS que...and intend to remain there....(notwithstanding that bloody Speciale and/or Huracan siren call)....

As has been pointed out ....each generation of 911s have had their issues....that's what you get for envelope pushing....

So for those who must throw their toys out..fine....i can fully understand the frustration...vent hard...vent long...

but at some point move on.....too much stress over a toy...and blowing a key gasket in your own engine (heart)...ain't worth it by a long shot....
Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 PM
CBG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clocked
If the above is true, Porsche is very lucky the drivers of the two cars did not get injured. If I was the two drivers and if this is true, I would sue Porsche in a heart beat.
There might be some sort of cultural difference - but opening up a lawsuit because of two engine failures?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

While it would seem Porsche now have their problems (as do Honda), GM has been very very good to me so far. All of my complaints have been taken care of with nary a raised voice. New windshield? No problem. Not happy with this and that? No problem.
Best CS I've had yet short of my dealings with Mercedes although I've determined that it's usually the dealer who makes or breaks the relationship.

I guess the JD Power Initial Quality position is going to Hell.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Mercel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBG
There might be some sort of cultural difference - but opening up a lawsuit because of two engine failures?
Sadly, yes.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

From the outset I warned that the fix was replacement of the engine. In addition, I stated it related to design not supplier problems. I also said it will take at least two months to replace the engines. Finally, I said the announcement would be tomorrow.

Everything is going as I stated. Where I am uncertain as to who get fixed first. My view it will depend on geography. Also, if they don't have capacity to build engine replacements and engines for the assembly line, the replacement engines will be built and the assembly line will have to wait.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 PM
green
Pro

I'm betting the assembly line gets the first new engines and the factory starts shipping "correct" cars right away after the announcement.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:46 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If I had to bet, I would say that they already have a head start on replacement engine assembly. Once the announcement is made, shipments will begin and simultaneously, cars currently on the line and or held in Germany will begin the replacement process.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Agree
Old 03-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 03-16-2014, 01:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CBG
Unfortunately, yes. An enormous cultural problem that is destroying everything.

Originally Posted by Nick
From the outset I warned that the fix was replacement of the engine. In addition, I stated it related to design not supplier problems. I also said it will take at least two months to replace the engines. Finally, I said the announcement would be tomorrow.
I don't see any evidence that the problem is design related anywhere? There are plenty of disgruntled people that THINK it's a design problem. I hope you aren't treating those opinions as fact.

Let's just say that was a design problem. They appear to have a fix and there is still a warranty on the car. I think the biggest risk here is that the car will have other gremlins that haven't been discovered or worked out that will tarnish the desirability of the car in the second hand market. However, this was a risk REGARDLESS of the current situation because it's a new car. You either trust the brand, or you don't. If you don't, then it's best not to get the car. If you happen to be right, then you can pat yourself on the back and laugh at everyone. If you are wrong, then you miss out on driving the car for now, but can always buy second hand. Which route to take? Up to each person to decide.

I've come to realize that there are some people who are so angry at Porsche, that there is nothing they could do to satisfy them. Porsche fixes a problem with the engine and offers to replace them completely?
Not satisfied.

RWS and PDK appears to work well for the car by all accounts.
Not pure enough.

It turns out that the engine WILL be used in motorsports.
Not soon enough and not introduced in the way they prefer.

As soon as all of these issues are addressed, it will be time to complain about electric steering again. It's really just time for them to move on. Like it or not, there are others that will take their place. You can chastise them and call them 'posers' all you want. The reality is, it will be the new group's turn to do the same thing in several years to the next group...
Old 03-16-2014, 01:00 PM
FLM911
Racer

We must have a few lawyers here..let's play forward from the next few days news.

So if Porsche say to owners we're going to replace the engine but it'll take say 3 months. We've been hard down almost a month already.

What's the law in the USA say about the consumer here being able to say ok, no problem just give me my money plus applicable taxes back and walk away? Not sure how the lemon law applies here as we can't even drive the cars which in theory would result in failures that Porsche couldn't rectify in a reasonable time anyway. A forced Catch-22 maybe onto be consumer by the manufacturer.

Let's say it was a brand new refrigerator that you couldn't use for 4 months just wait on a hope and a prayer that the manufacturer would fix it after they said turn it off as there is a problem with it were going to investigate (but it could catch fire if you do). Seems similar. It would be long gone in the vast majority of houses pretty sharpish.

Yeah I am an owner- Tom and I took delivery of the first US cars same time before Christmas. He has already given his back (see his post my GT3 experience) so this makes me the longest term owner of one of these cars in the USA. Maybe I'll be the first they call tomorrow although somehow I doubt it.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?