Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:26 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Assume that replacing the engine is the final call, what do you guys think the time frames will be? 2 weeks, 30 days , 60 days or more?
I'll go with 120 days from now because they aren't ready to start the fix yet.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
As far as I can tell, I don't think CH has said anything about the stop sale / recall issue--and he comments pretty frequently on social media...

It is pretty interesting bc I'm sure he either knows something or has a strong opinion on the topic...but has remained silent.
No surprise. You'll read very little about this in the motoring press. CH and the mags all want/need press cars and biting the hand that feeds you isn't smart.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:33 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

3-4 weeks
Old 03-16-2014, 01:12 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are techs techs fully trained on replacing motors , rws, etc???
Old 03-16-2014, 01:25 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Last I checked with the master mechanic they attended training but there was no GT3 for hands on. He was pretty bummed out.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 AM
Mercel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Are techs techs fully trained on replacing motors , rws, etc???
Are you serious or trying to be funny?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:42 AM
Mercel
Advanced

I think Porsche has earned the benefit of the doubt over the years of a hard won reputation. Let's wait for Porsche to offer its "make good" before writing off the brand. Some of the whining is overdone IMO.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:48 AM
silverrules
Drifting

My guess; Porsche will send a team of engineers to oversee the engine swaps. Modifying the engines at PDI for un-delivered cars make more sense and less travel for them. I believe that's why they are keeping all undelivered cars at the port. They will then work on the cars delivered to owners They all paid up anyways, LOL.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 AM
TomTomGTA
Intermediate

Hello, long time since I last posted!
Yesterday I had dinner with the chief aftersales manager from my PC (lifelong friend of mine) he was in Barcelona for the presentation of the Macan and they talked about the GT3 too. It's VERY sure we'll all get new engines, the GT development team (Preuninger included) have not had one free weekend since the recall. They have done over a 1000 laps of Leipzig with GT3's to find a fix the issue (I've seen a video and it's impressive to see 5-6 GT3's lapping as hard as they can, relentlessly). We will get all the info on Monday, but it seems it's the conrod bolts which aren't in spec.
Porsche is very aware the owners are not happy and they had a whole team working on the compensation package. Apparently GT3 owners still are Porsche's most valued customers as they consider us technically versed, good drivers, brand loyal and aware of the heritage (we are internally ranked higher priority than Turbo or 918 owners!).

Anyway we are all getting new engines, current owners first (in the order of delivery) and undelivered cars next.
All details will be sent to the aftersales guys Monday afternoon in Europe, so we will get official letters on Tuesday.

I'll keep you posted!
PS: cup and RSR are currently testing with the DFI engine and a Turbo with energy recovery (like F1) so that they cover all bases for next regulations.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:34 AM
Dude-
Pro

Thanks for the post Tomtom. Makes me feel wanted.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:34 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTomGTA
Apparently GT3 owners still are Porsche's most valued customers as they consider us technically versed, good drivers, brand loyal and aware of the heritage (we are internally ranked higher priority than Turbo or 918 owners!).
Sure doesn't feel like it considering they've allowed the 991 GT3 to be delivered with issues of this magnitude, considering their handling of the CL issues with the 997.2, their arrogance in refusing to apply a simple fix to the coolant fittings during the previous four iterations of GT car...

Sounds more like buttering up and kissing *** for the fact they've alienated their most loyal customer base over the past few years and this time, possibly for the last time...
Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday I had dinner with the chief aftersales manager from my PC (lifelong friend of mine) he was in Barcelona for the presentation of the Macan and they talked about the GT3 too. It's VERY sure we'll all get new engines, the GT development team (Preuninger included) have not had one free weekend since the recall. They have done over a 1000 laps of Leipzig with GT3's to find a fix the issue (I've seen a video and it's impressive to see 5-6 GT3's lapping as hard as they can, relentlessly). We will get all the info on Monday, but it seems it's the conrod bolts which aren't in spec.
Porsche is very aware the owners are not happy and they had a whole team working on the compensation package. Apparently GT3 owners still are Porsche's most valued customers as they consider us technically versed, good drivers, brand loyal and aware of the heritage (we are internally ranked higher priority than Turbo or 918 owners!).

Anyway we are all getting new engines, current owners first (in the order of delivery) and undelivered cars next.
All details will be sent to the aftersales guys Monday afternoon in Europe, so we will get official letters on Tuesday.

I'll keep you posted!
PS: cup and RSR are currently testing with the DFI engine and a Turbo with energy recovery (like F1) so that they cover all bases for next regulations.
For some reason I find this update satisfying, although it's just an internet post.

With that said, I have a few questions:

1. Why is PAG replacing the longblock? Why not the short block? More importantly, why not just update each car's present rotating assembly by replacing the problematic rod bolts? It seems inefficient to replace an entire engine simply for rod bolts.

2. What is included in this "compensation package"?

3. Do you mean the Cup and RSR programs are currently testing the 9A1 block?

Thanks for the update, TomTom!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:39 AM
CBG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep you posted!

Exactly what was quoted almost seven pages before.

Originally Posted by CBG
According to this most recent article from the renown German WiWo newspaper it is most likely that the rod bolts are failing.

See the interview with Matthias Mueller (only available in German language):

http://www.wiwo.de/unternehmen/auto/...9619970-2.html
Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 AM
outline
Racer

This last part is incorrect. The rules for 2016 will be set in the summer and Porsche will only then start working on the engine for the race programme depending on what they feel is needed. Mezger engine is homologated until 2020. The LMP car for this season is using a 4cyl turbo with energy recovery.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:59 AM
outline
Racer

There seem to be some very short memories on here regarding the way Porsche appear to have treated problems on their cars over the last decade right across the range. From issues big down to small its very much been a case of ignoring design issues and leaving to warranty (or hopefully owners) to fix. Its a simple cost v risk strategy for them in every case. The move towards profit above all else has been gathering pace for a while.
There were engines on the 991 GT3 failed during testing and apparently also during reviews (from rod issues), a simple search should show the heads of those saying as much being bitten off.
IF this is a rod problem and engines are about to be swapped, then its probable that a dice was rolled initially on this but didnt work out quite like they hoped. Failures on the road and with so few miles are harder to brush off than track use failures where owners can be thrown under the bus. Fire also grabs headlines shining a light in a way that a simple blown engine does not
Theres a strong whiff that the issue that is trying to be identified was known all along. If so perhaps this explains the stop sale. There potentially serious risks there if someone is toasted from a decision taken simply on risk strategy.
It sucks massively for all concerned here. I have no dog in this fight, the 991 GT3 does not interest me and I dont own a Porsche road car.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?