Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:38 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks Bluehinder. It doesn't make the experience any less meaningful to me but my disease was relatively low grade and totally confined to the prostate so I don't think of myself as a survivor. Given my family history, however, it was simply something I was unwilling to take a wait and see attitude about so I opted for the surgery. Enough of that. BTW, my original typo was corrected almost immediately but you must have read it before I got to it. I know very well the difference between the organ and lying on the ground.

As to the engine swap, I see it differently. I'm not happy about the inconvenience, but given I plan to keep the car long term I'm little concerned about other's perceptions. My sole requirement is that the car be 100% functional and I have little doubt that will be the case. Your POV, of course, may be different and you have to do what you think best..
Why do you have no doubt that the new engine will be 100% functional? I see no basis for that assumption, quite the contrary in fact. It's not 100% functional now. Current reports of problems include thermostat, cam sensor, rotors, what ever this is. It's safe to say it's 100% non-functional now.

There are plenty of other interesting cars out there without the baggage this one carries. I'm not married to the Porsche brand and am not a Kool-Aid drinker, and have no commitment to this car. I'm moving on to something else.

BTW, there is no typo between prostate and prostrate, they are both real words. Out of curiosity, what was your Gleason score?

Last edited by Bluehinder; 03-11-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:58 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Why do you have no doubt that the new engine will be 100% functional? I see no basis for that assumption, quite the contrary in fact. It's not 100% functional now. Current reports of problems include thermostat, cam sensor, rotors, what ever this is. It's safe to say it's 100% non-functional now.
The issues you mention are for the most part minor; replacing a faulty thermostat and a ticking sound from a brake rotor shield (which BTW my PCCB's don't exhibit) are not things which invalidate the car. My '84 Carrera had bad valve guides that required replacement at 15K miles. I kept that car for an additional 10 years with no problems. 993's caught fire due to faulty wiring harnesses. My 996 had a broken weld in the roof and a leaking RMS. The issues with the 997 GT cars have been well documented. Every car has some problems. If they can't be fixed, that's a different situation, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

I get that you're disappointed and disillusioned. Given how you feel, getting rid of the car is probably the best option for you, assuming you can work that out. As for me, I think Porsche will make this right. Call it blind faith if you like, but given the publicity around this whole business I think there is too much at stake if they don't. I'm willing to wait and see how it all plays out.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:00 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

As a physician who specializes in cancer, Mike I'm happy that you are a cancer survivor. Going through that experience, or working with cancer patients does bring a new perspective to life, however, eventually that is balanced with the realities of life. I can honestly say that I've not lost a single nights sleep over this, and it only slightly intrudes in daily life, but the reality is that a $160,000 car has proven have a catastrophic failure, resulting (if rumors are true) in an unprecedented cure, that being a total motor replacement. The marque has suffered tremendous damage, which may result in an absence of a secondary market for the cars repaired. I think this is the reality of the situation.

Myself, after thinking about it, I'm still committed to returning the car for a refund. I wont accept an engine transplant. There's an old saying about stock trading, "your first loss is your best loss." I'm out now.

Just for the record, it's prostate, not prostrate. Prostrate means prone on the ground, prostate is the organ.
Last sentence or two- really? Sometimes...y correct spelling when u know what is meant? Life threatening will affect immediate their immediate ones- I give them some lattitude with wrong diction.
Cancer is a bitch- my dad died from "mesothoma" working in shipyards due to asbestos during ww2- would spelling actually matter- that is insensitive. Ps- I know the right spelling for "mesothoma". Mike
Old 03-11-2014, 03:05 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Last sentence or two- really? Sometimes...y correct spelling when u know what is meant? Life threatening will affect immediate their immediate ones- I give them some lattitude with wrong diction.
Cancer is a bitch- my dad died from "mesothoma" working in shipyards due to asbestos during ww2- would spelling actually matter- that is insensitive. Ps- I know the right spelling for "mesothoma". Mike
Well said 996. I found that insensitive as well.

Last edited by silverrules; 03-11-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

There are plenty of other interesting cars out there without the baggage this one carries. I'm not married to the Porsche brand and am not a Kool-Aid drinker, and have no commitment to this car. I'm moving on to something else.

BTW, there is no typo between prostate and prostrate, they are both real words. Out of curiosity, what was your Gleason score?
You added a bit to your post after I posted my original reply.

It's not a matter of being married to the brand. There may be other interesting cars out there but I can't think of anything else under $150K that grabs my fancy and offers this level of performance and daily useability. I've owned Carreras and a Boxster. A Corvette or Viper? No insult to anyone, but not for me. I won't pay an additional $100K for a Fiat or McLaren and I'm not particularly interested in used cars.

I'm not the world's greatest typist. Sometimes my brain and fingers don't work well together. Those are both real words but I confused them, added an extra unwanted letter, and recognized it right after I posted. Call it what you like, I call it a typo. My Gleason score was a 6. It was caught early. As I said, family history was the decider for me.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 AM
CaptDngr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Finally, there will arise a secondary market for those 991 gt3's that are 'handed back' (called them 'buy-backs' if you must) to the dealers from those demanding a full refund. There will be incentives that Porsche puts in place to find 'new' buyers for these 'slightly' used 991 gt3's. That in itself might make the market for 991 gt3's very interesting in the next three months or so...and create some interesting buying opportunities!
If this happens, I may seriously have to consider picking one of them up. And if there's an extended warranty on the engine? That'd make it even sweeter. I'd grab one, daily drive it to 100k+ miles.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 AM
HB Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, PNCA called me yesterday and said that they agreed to give me a loaner car. They told me to contact the dealer and it had been approved. They didn't say what type of car. I haven't called the dealer yet. I was waiting till the announcement.

My car is in PDI, so I'm expecting bad news. Why would they offer a loaner if the car was going to be at the dealer next week? I've been holding off selling my 991 C2S till the verdict. Sounds like a good call, but maybe the C2S will go up in flames. 7800 miles it's run like a top.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I've been reading and not posting except for a couple times. But I share your incredulity.

Everything is acceptable, nothing is wrong, "shut up and take it like a man". Like an alternate universe.
lmao.... It's certainly felt that way of late.

Welcome back mate.

Just like our CL shafting we got, in 1-2 years time they'll probably send out letters requiring customers tracking cars to have them reflashed to 8250 rpm to ensure longevity or rebuilds every 7000 track kilometers. Lets hope that this too isn't deemed acceptable by the masses...
Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

what a pretty mess this release has become.
but mike is right - it's small fry in the grande scheme of things.
porsche needed a wake-up call like this, unfortunately.
mezger army salute!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 AM
green
Pro

Originally Posted by silverrules
Well said 996. I found that incentive as well.
You meant insensitive right?
Me too
Typos...who cares about them when we're talking about cancer?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,596 Posts

What a sad mess indeed. After being at the track this past weekend, I was leaning towards giving the 991 GT3 a shot, but after getting back and reading all this I'm not so sure anymore. I haven't lost all confidence in Porsche, but I do now have less confidence in the durability and reliability of this car with heavy track use, and Porsche's willingness to honor the warranty in that case.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptDngr
If this happens, I may seriously have to consider picking one of them up. And if there's an extended warranty on the engine? That'd make it even sweeter. I'd grab one, daily drive it to 100k+ miles.
Man is this thread is getting frothy! yeeehaw! Wait until tomorrow.
First, let's just say there is a total "all car engine swap". I agree with previous posts that doing that option is better than having each dealer rebuild them. Too much room for error and consistency of rebuild with all those chefs in the kitchen. The Germans like to have consistency. And face it, lack of it, looks like what got them into this position.
Second, someone posted earlier that a GT3 with an extended warranty and a new engine could very well pretty appealing! Maybe a premium. I had a 1990 964 that had an issue with the dual mass flywheel. They didn't do a recall but they replaced it if you asked. (weird I agree) In any case, they had to drop the motor etc. no big deal. That replacement improved the resale value of that car. I know its not a perfect comparison, and no doubt the immediate after market for the cars affected will be strange at best, but down the road a wee bit, I don't think it will matter. IMHO
Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As a physician who specializes in cancer, ...

Just for the record, it's prostate, not prostrate. Prostrate means prone on the ground, prostate is the organ.
Poor taste, really. Do you have a habit of correcting your patients mispronounce or misspell as well?

Seriously? I sure hope you are still in trainning and that you haven't been taught to respect people's privacy yet, rather than invade it in a public forum.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Poor taste, really. Do you have a habit of correcting your patients mispronounce or misspell as well?

Seriously? I sure hope you are still in trainning and that you haven't been taught to respect people's privacy yet, rather than invade it in a public forum.
Well said Sam, you read my mind
Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

+1

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?