Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Last thing. In the USA you are lucky you have glass windows. Those plexi windows nice idea but they let in alot of heat and they scratch real easy when you clean the car. I know a 996GT3RS owner (ROW) who had them removed and replaced with glass because they dont like lots of UV (they yellow and haze with time) and they made his car heat up. Also he said impossible to clean windows of deposits like tyre marbles without leaving scratches and have to be careful of product used to clean them! they are for racing cars where appearance doesnt matter not for road cars. personally I think in USA you should be more than pleased to have glass :-)
Old 03-05-2015, 12:53 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
So the GT3 accelerates faster than the RS for the most part? Sorry if I'm not seeing this well, it's from my phone in a cab.
It shows that the GT3 accelerates faster in first gear, up to the peak torque point, which occurs at about 30 mph, at 6250 rpm. After that, you are always maintaining high rpms, where the GT3 RS has faster acceleration, at least in the first 5 gears.

You can see the net effect of this in the acceleration time comparisons in the charts that Macca showed us above.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:58 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Assuming the graphs are correct, my interpretation:

- In 1st to 5th gear, GT3 has stronger acceleration in lower half of the rev range, RS is stronger in upper half.

- In 6th and 7th, GT3 has stronger acceleration.

- Since max overall acceleration uses the upper half of the rev range, RS should be faster, but might feel a bit weaker in more normal driving (which doesn't really make sense to me).
I would think a shorter gearing would have helped out, when the lines cross, that's where the RS is stronger, but gearing would shift those cross points much more to the left. So why did they not gear the RS shorter? This RS while looking good, doesn't make much sense. I don't know.

High revving engines don't have much down low. F1 cars idle at 4K, well at least the V10 ones did.

Would you prefer the RS over the GT3?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 PM
jumpstone
Intermediate

How is the car dashboard looking if u dont chose the full leather option!? Plastic?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
....just lost my internet guys so sorry but Ill have to post the rest of the pictures up on the weekend...also got lots on GT4 to post.
Time to break out the Herradura Anejo and sangrita shooters....

Last edited by Nizer; 03-05-2015 at 01:59 PM.
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpstone
How is the car dashboard looking if u dont chose the full leather option!? Plastic?
there is no (extended leather) option for the dash on the RS.
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
It shows that the GT3 accelerates faster in first gear, up to the peak torque point, which occurs at about 30 mph, at 6250 rpm. After that, you are always maintaining high rpms, where the GT3 RS has faster acceleration, at least in the first 5 gears.

You can see the net effect of this in the acceleration time comparisons in the charts that Macca showed us above.
This loosely suggests that the RS pistons have the same density (made of the same material) compared to the GT3 pistons, and are possibly a tad heavier, not accelerating as fast the "smaller" 3.8L engine. This was the case in the 997 cars, the 3.6 revs faster than the 3.8.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:09 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpstone
Yes thats what i thought! Battery ans pccb - minus 30kg! But still i know a lot of people that hate pccb! I always had it and i love it! But there are sooo many people dont like it! Maybe cause they are more expensive at first and later compared to the stee red ones! Does anybody has experience with pccb on a gt3rs while racing? Is it worth it!? I had quiet a lot of people didnt want to buy my former used cars cause of pccb
....My internet finally works. Small window of opportunity I thought Id post these sldes from the dealer presentation kindly supplied tome by my mystery European connection :-). I also have plenty of pictures taken by my PAG guy at Geneva earlier in the week.
Thank you for posting
what i see is that 991 GT3 is better than the 997 RS 4.0
Old 03-05-2015, 01:13 PM
GT3Bang
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Diehard
New member, first post and great news! I have just had conformation that my RS will be shown at my dealership on a Germany-wide new GT model presentation day April 18th, and the car will be handed over to me shortly thereafter!

Standard white exteriour with black wheels, given the in-your-face design features of the RS I did not want to add a colour which makes it even more ostentacious.

I am still debating whether to stick with the standard silver rims though
Hope you will get the car delivered as promised, but I doubt you will be on the road in april. Also very surprised if you on the road in May.
Don´t get me wrong, I hope you are.

JB.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,327 Likes on 2,461 Posts

I would think a shorter gearing would have helped out, when the lines cross, that's where the RS is stronger, but gearing would shift those cross points much more to the left. So why did they not gear the RS shorter? This RS while looking good, doesn't make much sense. I don't know.

High revving engines don't have much down low. F1 cars idle at 4K, well at least the V10 ones did.

Would you prefer the RS over the GT3?
Looking at the tables of info Macca provided, seems that the changes between the GT3 and RS are fairly limited, with not much extra development and cost invested in the engine, transmission, suspension, steering, etc.

At this point, with no reviews out yet on the RS, I can't say I significantly prefer the RS, even if cost isn't a factor. Front fender vents look increasingly tacky to me, rear vents look too much like the turbo, negligible net weight reduction, pit speed limiter is amusing but not useful, dub+1 in the back seems like overkill, and 5s faster at the 'ring isn't that big a deal. Then add that it might feel more sluggish on the road than GT3, and loses 200 rpm at the top. Not saying the RS isn't a great car, but at this point I have no lust for it, considering I have a GT3 already in the garage.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Manifold
Looking at the tables of info Macca provided, seems that the changes between the GT3 and RS are fairly limited, with not much extra development and cost invested in the engine, transmission, suspension, steering, etc.

At this point, with no reviews out yet on the RS, I can't say I significantly prefer the RS, even if cost isn't a factor. Front fender vents look increasingly tacky to me, rear vents look too much like the turbo, negligible net weight reduction, pit speed limiter is amusing but not useful, dub+1 in the back seems like overkill, and 5s faster at the 'ring isn't that big a deal. Then add that it might feel more sluggish on the road than GT3, and loses 200 rpm at the top. Not saying the RS isn't a great car, but at this point I have no lust for it, considering I have a GT3 already in the garage.
Makes sense. The RS target market may have changed.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nizer

JB. Agree with you. World wide press release of this car (i.e. Joruno test drive) not till mid April. April 18 approx will be fine for customer reveal but actual production units delivered into customer hands? May/June I should think!

Manifold. Who would ever think only 8 months ago we would be agreeing on so many things LOL!

RS as always will be more than a sum of its parts. The changes usually very subtle in all gens...in the flash Im sure this car will"speak" to all of us! In the meantime us poor GT3 plebs can be happy with our lot I guess :-)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:26 PM
1198r
Pro

Last thing. In the USA you are lucky you have glass windows. Those plexi windows nice idea but they let in alot of heat and they scratch real easy when you clean the car. I know a 996GT3RS owner (ROW) who had them removed and replaced with glass because they dont like lots of UV (they yellow and haze with time) and they made his car heat up. Also he said impossible to clean windows of deposits like tyre marbles without leaving scratches and have to be careful of product used to clean them! they are for racing cars where appearance doesnt matter not for road cars. personally I think in USA you should be more than pleased to have glass :-)
Yeah and I had TWO of the rear blow out of my .2RS! Right pain in the buttock!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,327 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Makes sense. The RS target market may have changed.
FWIW, 7.2 RS and 4.0 are cars I do still lust after.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
Yeah and I had TWO of the rear blow out of my .2RS! Right pain in the buttock!
T...H...A...T... Bike

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...d-product.html
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread