Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Grant please post the Excellence article if you have it! Im very keen to read.

Here is article on mine form national magazine a while ago before all the recent changes...also factory style Brochure which sis now in the Museum archive collection....
That is awesome, Macca! I'll try to remember to post Excellence scans when I get home...
Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Now that's a proper RS interior.
+1
That's how (light) all RS interiors should look coming out of the factory.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Old School for the win... Like it...

Nice to see some great examples from the past here, but they do bring into focus what's so impressive about the factory machines: the breadth of their abilities. We can focus a car on one particular thing, like tracking, and make a big improvement. Nice examples of that here. The factory cars, on the other hand, are good almost everywhere.

The factory does "focused" too of course, and the Cup car is cool, don't get me wrong, but it competes against highly focused track-only machines that in many ways (running cost, speed, response, etc) have it covered. It's a nice machine, but judged against other options it can look expensive and not hugely impressive.

The new GT3 street cars, on the other hand, are- they cover such huge territory. They'll do nearly 200 mph on the autobahn or they'll dice with dedicated, stripped out autocross specials. They can bang around with Cup cars in the fast group one day, comfortably roll up to wine country or out to dinner the next, then commute to work the third. And you don't even need to change tires. They are impressively safe, both active and passive- I'd generally take one even over a caged early car if I was going to hit something.

Thus using one as a dedicated track car is a bit of a waste, because you're using only a fraction of what it can do. Their real strength is as a jack of all trades, and in that roll they are virtually unbeatable. I know other try to do this as well, Singer, etc, but it needs to be said that the factory's in another league. Which is probably why, despite the cool old school machinery the followers of this thread collectively own, we're all still here...
Old 08-04-2014, 03:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,924 Likes on 5,198 Posts

Grant please post the Excellence article if you have it! Im very keen to read.

Here is article on mine form national magazine a while ago before all the recent changes...also factory style Brochure which sis now in the Museum archive collection....
Awesome read.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 972 Posts

While we're veering off topic....

Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And veering and veering ...

Old 08-04-2014, 04:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

Lets veer until the Paris auto show :-)
Old 08-04-2014, 04:57 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

Perfect!!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
+1 That's how (light) all RS interiors should look coming out of the factory.
Actually all the true RS cars ( of which I've owned 2 out of three) 73RS, 964RS, 993RS were road cars with mostly road car looking interiors. Stripped out interiors such as Grants car are the preserve of race cars not factory RS cars....

Last edited by Macca; 08-04-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
Old School for the win... Like it... Nice to see some great examples from the past here, but they do bring into focus what's so impressive about the factory machines: the breadth of their abilities. We can focus a car on one particular thing, like tracking, and make a big improvement. Nice examples of that here. The factory cars, on the other hand, are good almost everywhere. The factory does "focused" too of course, and the Cup car is cool, don't get me wrong, but it competes against highly focused track-only machines that in many ways (running cost, speed, response, etc) have it covered. It's a nice machine, but judged against other options it can look expensive and not hugely impressive. The new GT3 street cars, on the other hand, are- they cover such huge territory. They'll do nearly 200 mph on the autobahn or they'll dice with dedicated, stripped out autocross specials. They can bang around with Cup cars in the fast group one day, comfortably roll up to wine country or out to dinner the next, then commute to work the third. And you don't even need to change tires. They are impressively safe, both active and passive- I'd generally take one even over a caged early car if I was going to hit something. Thus using one as a dedicated track car is a bit of a waste, because you're using only a fraction of what it can do. Their real strength is as a jack of all trades, and in that roll they are virtually unbeatable. I know other try to do this as well, Singer, etc, but it needs to be said that the factory's in another league. Which is probably why, despite the cool old school machinery the followers of this thread collectively own, we're all still here...
Pete you say this so well! I hope you'll allow me to repost it on the NZ board. It really summarised how I feel about the new 991 GT3.
I'm very much an old Skool fan - never owned anything newer than 996.1 GT3.
However the new GT3 is really doing it for me. Don't get me wrong it's also great to have an old timer in the shed but after my track session ( fastest I'd ever circulated that track, so much fun and so much control) I drive home in dark, traffic, poring rain and cold with great headlights, heated bucket seats in slush box mode with stereo on and took a hands free international call with my wife. Got home, removed my gear bag had dinner watched a movie went to bed and got up next day 8am for a 4 hour very fast road drive in the hills with a group I Tarmac rally with - no problems keeping up even with friends in the group constantly becoming passengers to hear the sound of the engine!
We did 4 weeks in Europe in it in comfort, we have a track tour planned in it in 4 weeks and my wife and I will take it on a driving holiday to South Island next year.
You are so damn right. The factory nailed this formula in 1973. They do it best. If you want a dedicated track car there are many other options including used Cup car....
Old 08-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Right. In that case... Most of you have seen this already, but hopefully it will still help pass the time.

Last edited by Petevb; 08-04-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Pete you say this so well! I hope you'll allow me to repost it on the NZ board.
Of course, post away. I think having a few other Porsches helps put it all in perspective...
Old 08-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. Have always dug your car. Absolute feat of engineering getting a 997 Cup car engine into a long hood - must be one of the few conversions in the world - if you every sell it please let me know!

Your guys cars are making my 993 "RS" interior look really plush. Im definitely going soft then its official LOL! Here's an engine shot to keep the crowd pleased (one thing I do miss with the new cars - since 997 there hasnt been anything to look at back there!).
Attached Images   
Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

if you every sell it please let me know!
Thanks... hope there is never a need!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
Right. In that case... Most of you have seen this already, but hopefully it will still help pass the time.

Love those rear wheel arches.

May have just found a few new desktop wallpapers ...

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread