Sponsored by:

New C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
Great. Thanks for the tip. Not too far for just service which I expect to be maybe once a year.
And, a Chevy service center is nothing like Ferrari or Porsche so be prepared, and don't be too shocked.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:37 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
And, a Chevy service center is nothing like Ferrari or Porsche so be prepared, and don't be too shocked.
Haha! Actually, the funny thing is, when I had the Ford GT, the Ford people treated me like royalty and bent over backwards fro me. I wonder if it will be similar, especially during the first 12 months of this car when its still hot.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I havn't driven the new vett, but regardless how fast it is, does it still feel like a bloated turd? Last time I drove a vett, it didn't really even feel or respond like a sports car. Crazy fast when you stomped on it yes, but felt heavy, little agility and turned like a slug.

For those who have driven the new car, how does it FEEL on the road?
Old 01-30-2015, 04:49 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I was in one yesterday. It feels light, agile, and the sound, omg, the sound.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:01 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
yes, the ZR1 are exactly the same specs as the Enzo. I've heard its carried over for the z06
yes, same (slightly larger rear discs for Z07)
Old 01-30-2015, 05:03 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Yep. 285 or 295. I forget. Rears are 335! And they are Sport Cup 2. When I first got the car, I looked at the tires, and I thought, "Why are they already bald?" Haha! Then I realized what they are. Reminds me of there GT3RS. Supersoft and almost no tread.

I remember the ZR1 was supposed to already have Brembo ceramics from an Enzo or FXX. Wonder if these ones are even "badder" ***!
285/30ZR19 Fronts
335/25ZR20 Rears
Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
I havn't driven the new vett, but regardless how fast it is, does it still feel like a bloated turd? Last time I drove a vett, it didn't really even feel or respond like a sports car. Crazy fast when you stomped on it yes, but felt heavy, little agility and turned like a slug.

I had a C5 Z06. It was terrible. Absurdly cheap build and horrible to me in many ways. I gave it to my car broker in 24 hours to get rid of it. That even for me was a record!

Had a C6 Z06. That car was much better. Seats were still floppy and interior still not up to par with the Europeans, but it was FAST, and it stopped and cornered too.

Now this C7 Z06 has completely exceeded my expectations. The moment I saw it at my dealer, I noticed the build quality was miles better than the previous generation. Interestingly, I also noticed it top be built better and tighter than the regular C7 that were there. Leather stitched dash and doors, alcantara seat backs and shifter and steering wheel. Carbon Fiber and aluminum trim everywhere. Absolutely no creaks or rattles.

A fun fact: I buy Pro Clips for my cars to mount my phones. These are custom designed mounts that go into certain gaps in between panels in the interior. I have had them for the 991GT3, 997's, Panamera, M4, etc, so I naturally bought one for the Vette before I even got it. So one night after I got the car, I decided to install it the car. To my surprise, I couldn't get them into the gaps. Turns out, the leather wrapped panels that meet the center console are so tight, there was no way for me to push them in. I tried hard, but there was no way I was able to push it in without possibly damaging the leather. So I just left it alone and now I just put the phone in the cup holder, LOL. All these years, and all these different cars (except Ferrari which I have not tried), I have never encountered this problem. I attest that to a new found tightness in tolerance in the build quality of this car for Chevrolet. Good job!

Straight line, its as fast as ever, and actually a lot faster than that! LOL! It brakes way faster than I expect with these monster Brembo Ceramics from a Ferrari Enzo. The only car that braked like that in my past experience was a 2007 GT3 RS with aftermarket Kinesis F110 1-piece forged wheels. These two cars braked and brakes so well that I ended up overestimating the distance and actually have to give it gas to get to the dip or the corner.

Steering is not bad. Not great like the old 911's, but in line with today's cars.

In turns, the car doesn't lean, even though it rides so well. Kind of like the 458, except the 458 leans more. Grips like there is no tomorrow.

And yes, it sounds amazing. That was the most impressive thing to me when I first saw the car at the dealership, and that was just starting and idling. In motion, its even better. The 458 is just an abrupt valve-influenced sound. Its like quiet...quiet...quiet...then Bahhhhhh at 4000 rpm. Sounds Ok at 4000 and above, but very monotonous. I think the GT3 has more of a change in pitch, but its still not as alluring as the Z06 which sounds more musical, yet the pulses are so tight that you don't hear the old muscle car gurgle while in motion. Almost like a jet engine, except that its coming from the exhaust. Reminds me of the Ferrari 550 with a Tubi. Or an Aston Martin Vanquish. I have no intention in changing the exhaust for sound at all, which is saying something.

Just my opinion, but I am thoroughly impressed by this car and the price they can sell it at. Without the Z07 package ($9000), it is the price of a loaded Cayman S, and not that loaded either. Even without regard to the price, it is a compelling choice for anyone looking to buy a sports car for around $90,000, give or take $10,000.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:27 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Terrence thanks for the review. I got a ride in one a couple of weeks ago and I'm very impressed. The performance of this car is staggering. Now the wheels are turning.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan

I was able to test drive the C7 Z06 7MT, and it was grippy as hell, no body roll whatsoever, stupid-silly low-end torque (almost too much).

Did it feel heavy? I suppose it did, but more importantly it felt big, with that long-hood you feel like you're piloting an Mercedes SLS.

But that said, I can't say that I think the GT3 is light. Nor is it heavy. To me, it's well-balanced. Sort of in a "Goldilocks" fashion.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Its about 3500 pounds, so it is heavier then a GT3, but I think its lighter than a turbo S.

The sound is intoxicating. Rev match is my new best friend, because it makes the exhaust sing every time I downshift. I don't know how any car enthusiast can enjoy a Tesla. Its fast, but absolutely no sound except for electric motor whine.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:59 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a C5 Z06. It was terrible. Absurdly cheap build and horrible to me in many ways. I gave it to my car broker in 24 hours to get rid of it. That even for me was a record!

Had a C6 Z06. That car was much better. Seats were still floppy and interior still not up to par with the Europeans, but it was FAST, and it stopped and cornered too.

Now this C7 Z06 has completely exceeded my expectations. The moment I saw it at my dealer, I noticed the build quality was miles better than the previous generation. Interestingly, I also noticed it top be built better and tighter than the regular C7 that were there. Leather stitched dash and doors, alcantara seat backs and shifter and steering wheel. Carbon Fiber and aluminum trim everywhere. Absolutely no creaks or rattles.

A fun fact: I buy Pro Clips for my cars to mount my phones. These are custom designed mounts that go into certain gaps in between panels in the interior. I have had them for the 991GT3, 997's, Panamera, M4, etc, so I naturally bought one for the Vette before I even got it. So one night after I got the car, I decided to install it the car. To my surprise, I couldn't get them into the gaps. Turns out, the leather wrapped panels that meet the center console are so tight, there was no way for me to push them in. I tried hard, but there was no way I was able to push it in without possibly damaging the leather. So I just left it alone and now I just put the phone in the cup holder, LOL. All these years, and all these different cars (except Ferrari which I have not tried), I have never encountered this problem. I attest that to a new found tightness in tolerance in the build quality of this car for Chevrolet. Good job!

Straight line, its as fast as ever, and actually a lot faster than that! LOL! It brakes way faster than I expect with these monster Brembo Ceramics from a Ferrari Enzo. The only car that braked like that in my past experience was a 2007 GT3 RS with aftermarket Kinesis F110 1-piece forged wheels. These two cars braked and brakes so well that I ended up overestimating the distance and actually have to give it gas to get to the dip or the corner.

Steering is not bad. Not great like the old 911's, but in line with today's cars.

In turns, the car doesn't lean, even though it rides so well. Kind of like the 458, except the 458 leans more. Grips like there is no tomorrow.

And yes, it sounds amazing. That was the most impressive thing to me when I first saw the car at the dealership, and that was just starting and idling. In motion, its even better. The 458 is just an abrupt valve-influenced sound. Its like quiet...quiet...quiet...then Bahhhhhh at 4000 rpm. Sounds Ok at 4000 and above, but very monotonous. I think the GT3 has more of a change in pitch, but its still not as alluring as the Z06 which sounds more musical, yet the pulses are so tight that you don't hear the old muscle car gurgle while in motion. Almost like a jet engine, except that its coming from the exhaust. Reminds me of the Ferrari 550 with a Tubi. Or an Aston Martin Vanquish. I have no intention in changing the exhaust for sound at all, which is saying something.

Just my opinion, but I am thoroughly impressed by this car and the price they can sell it at. Without the Z07 package ($9000), it is the price of a loaded Cayman S, and not that loaded either. Even without regard to the price, it is a compelling choice for anyone looking to buy a sports car for around $90,000, give or take $10,000.
That's some awesome feedback, great detail, thank you.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I was able to test drive the C7 Z06 7MT, and it was grippy as hell, no body roll whatsoever, stupid-silly low-end torque (almost too much).

Did it feel heavy? I suppose it did, but more importantly it felt big, with that long-hood you feel like you're piloting an Mercedes SLS.

But that said, I can't say that I think the GT3 is light. Nor is it heavy. To me, it's well-balanced. Sort of in a "Goldilocks" fashion.
Yeah, its that feeling of being in a large car that I detest with the vetts. Sounds like it's greatly improved, from some unbias reviewers, not the typical vette owner who thinks its the second coming of christ but has barely driven any other sports cars. That long hood and big feel is still a big huge turn off.

The thing about the GT3, I just love how far forward I am, close to front wheels, feeling the road and where I'm turning, very connected feeling. The Gt3 actually feels much smaller than it is, not vice versa with the vette. Who knows if they ever do a mid engine vette like they've been talking about forever, I'll give that try.

The whole fred flintstones, sitting so far back, vett/viper is just not how I like to expereince a sports car.

Who know, perhaps if I gain 50lbs, start waring gold chains, never actually track my car and spend all my time cleaning it and hanging out at cars and coffee, I'll be ready to be a vett customer!!

I kid I kid, just keeping the stereotype alive!
Old 02-02-2015, 03:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Z06 only 0.1 seconds faster than an oversteering GT3 around Big Willow, the fastest track in the west. Can you say overheeeeeat?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,576 Posts

In case it hasn't already been posted: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=497408

Exec summary: GT3 > Z06
Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

No Joe, can you say Blow UP. These engines will not stay together, it has the same ole oil system. KABOOM. See how chevy treats you with a blown motor..
Old 02-02-2015, 11:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

For what it's worth, the new Z06 does a face plant (sort of) against Godzilla at Willow Springs in MotorTrends latest comparo.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1504_2015_chevrolet_corvette_z06_vs_2015_nissan_gt_r_nismo_comparison/

Quick Reply: New C7 Z06