Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 01:17 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

No one can deny the performance of this monster for the price. Of course that's easy for us to say.

I honestly feel the natural progression aesthetically and the beautiful lines were working well up through the C6. This C7 just looks more like an Barris edition Matchbox car or Hotwheels. More like a 12 year old drew it in front of the TV while watching the latest Transformers movie.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:27 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosmo
whats that old joke? difference b/w porsches and porcupines- porsches have the ****** on the inside.

Actually I think it's that a porcupine has the ****** on the outside.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate
What people forget that the GTR has been out for eons with any and all issues ironed out. I remember how a lot of the first and second year GTR owners (that I know of) had everything from transmission failures to brake issues. The Nismo GTR will most likely one of the last iterations of the product lifecycle.

The Z06 is a brand new model with some obvious teething issues, it has another 6-7 years to get to the best of what it has to offer.

Critics need to give GM time to analyse the stats and use it to improve the model.

This is the first year people....first year....

P.s. There is also the stellar N/A C7 Z51 that is still living up to the hype. Perhaps a better track monster in the interim?
That's what I said! My GTR had transmission and oil line recalls the first 6 months I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think there was a big deal about the transmission and that if you tracked it, they wouldn't warranty it.

The 458 was on fire (literally) the first few months in Europe.

Of course, we call know what happened to the 991 GT3 engine.

I think all new models tend to have problems that will be sorted out in subsequent months or years.

I still love my Z06. Maximum track performance is not my only checkbox when buying a car, and the Z06 barely lost to the Nismo GTR which is among the top 1%. No shame there at all.

Last edited by Terrence; 02-07-2015 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 02-07-2015, 01:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I just don't understand how 3800lbs on slimmer tires (Nismo) can be made to go so much faster. Defies physics.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
I just don't understand how 3800lbs on slimmer tires (Nismo) can be made to go so much faster. Defies physics.
First of all, horsepower can be underrated. My M4 is pretty universally known to be way over 425 as reported by BMW. Some companies do it, some don't.

Also, the GTR has a very "take charge" computer and it has AWD. Put them together and some clever engineering, and it can do great things on a track.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:26 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Imagine how much faster the gtr would have been on wider PSC2s or Trofeo R
Old 02-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not as much as you would think. I had a 2009 and 2011. The new dunlops are pretty sticky tires. Changing to R888 square setup didn't really improve my time. The car is too heavy and it's not well suited for the MSPC II.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:51 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
That's what I said! My GTR had transmission and oil line recalls the first 6 months I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think there was a big deal about the transmission and that if you tracked it, they wouldn't warranty it.

The 458 was on fire (literally) the first few months in Europe.

Of course, we call know what happened to the 991 GT3 engine.

I think all new models tend to have problems that will be sorted out in subsequent months or years.

I still love my Z06. Maximum track performance is not my only checkbox when buying a car, and the Z06 barely lost to the Nismo GTR which is among the top 1%. No shame there at all.
It was more than barely. About 1.5 seconds on grippier tires. I would take the ZR1 over it at this point.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

I may cause a few waves for people that know me and know I'm a big GM Vette proponent, but it makes sense to me. I had a deposit on a C7 ZO6 and backed out when the dealership wasn't communicating with me and I couldn't get the options I wanted due to constraints. I'm glad I did now because GM needs to sort out the cooling capacity and a few other issues before I would consider one.

So, where does that leave me when I have a pretty well sorted semi-track modded '10 ZR1, but really wanted to try a different car too? Last week, I got word of this new GT4 Cayman and after reading and watching various details on it, I fell for it.

I have a deposit in and hope to be able to spec my order later this year with a large local dealer here in DFW. I've never owned a German ride before, but after flogging a neighbors very nice '13 Boxster S PDK at COTA two months ago for a full session (and beating his best lap time by 5 seconds, ), I can only imagine how this GT4 will drive!

I'm keeping the ZR1, the GT4 will be a fun toy and I have very little doubt it will be a blast to drive.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quikag
I may cause a few waves for people that know me and know I'm a big GM Vette proponent, but it makes sense to me. I had a deposit on a C7 ZO6 and backed out when the dealership wasn't communicating with me and I couldn't get the options I wanted due to constraints. I'm glad I did now because GM needs to sort out the cooling capacity and a few other issues before I would consider one.

So, where does that leave me when I have a pretty well sorted semi-track modded '10 ZR1, but really wanted to try a different car too? Last week, I got word of this new GT4 Cayman and after reading and watching various details on it, I fell for it.

I have a deposit in and hope to be able to spec my order later this year with a large local dealer here in DFW. I've never owned a German ride before, but after flogging a neighbors very nice '13 Boxster S PDK at COTA two months ago for a full session (and beating his best lap time by 5 seconds, ), I can only imagine how this GT4 will drive!

I'm keeping the ZR1, the GT4 will be a fun toy and I have very little doubt it will be a blast to drive.
The GT4 will be a fantastic drive. Magazines have always said the Cayman is a better platform than a 911...if only it had a better engine. Now it does.

The Vette for me is primarily a street car, so again, maximum track performance is not that important to me. If its "fun" on the streets and the track, I am happy. For me, the GT3 and GTR may both be more accomplished cars in their own way on a track, but I have more "fun" (acceleration, sound, looks, etc) with the Z06 than any of them on the streets.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
The GT4 will be a fantastic drive. Magazines have always said the Cayman is a better platform than a 911...if only it had a better engine. Now it does.

The Vette for me is primarily a street car, so again, maximum track performance is not that important to me. If its "fun" on the streets and the track, I am happy. For me, the GT3 and GTR may both be more accomplished cars in their own way on a track, but I have more "fun" (acceleration, sound, looks, etc) with the Z06 than any of them on the streets.
I didn't really mean to disparage the C7 Z06. It really is a fantastic car and I have little doubt any cooling issues (for the 5% of track drivers that will actually be able to drive it hard enough to get it to heat up) will be quickly resolved. The rest of the car is obviously head and shoulders above a C6 ZR1. I was just ready for something a little different while not being willing to part with the ZR1.

I'm sure the GT4 will look nice sitting next to the ZR1 in the garage. I will make sure they get along or I'll put them both in timeout. haha.

Terrence, you have about the perfect garage of sports cars/sports sedan.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

She likes it!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

He might need to mop up the passenger seat...
Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quikag
I didn't really mean to disparage the C7 Z06. It really is a fantastic car and I have little doubt any cooling issues (for the 5% of track drivers that will actually be able to drive it hard enough to get it to heat up) will be quickly resolved. The rest of the car is obviously head and shoulders above a C6 ZR1. I was just ready for something a little different while not being willing to part with the ZR1.

I'm sure the GT4 will look nice sitting next to the ZR1 in the garage. I will make sure they get along or I'll put them both in timeout. haha.

Terrence, you have about the perfect garage of sports cars/sports sedan.
Not at all. No offense taken. The ZR1 is a great car. I thought about it a few times, but I had a C6 Z06 and hated those seats, so I didn't go for it at the time.

The GT4 is gonna be a great car. I love the concept of it. Its a little too track focused for me (No amenities like Bose, memory seats, etc)

I also have an M4 that is modified to probably around 540hp. It's a nice daily driver too.

I do think that I will keep the Z for a while. To me. it will be at least 12 months before there is another car (Ferrari 488 with 661 hp and ceramics brakes standard) out there under $1M that will offer as high or higher overall performance on the streets. In that, I mean 0 to 60, quarter mile, braking distance, lateral grip, slalom speed, hp/weight ratio, etc. Therefore anything I replace it with will be a downgrade at least in terms of those factors. I only go to the track a few times a year at most, and I never run more than 4 or 5 laps at a time, so that's not a priority for me at all. Sometimes, I don't even bring my own cars to the track, so I couldn't care less about the "heat soak" issue. I do think that at the latest, by next model year, GM would come up with a solution, namely a "track package" with different cooling options. Or they can just raise the price of the car by a few thousand if they even have to and include that all standard.

Its still a pretty good time to be a motorhead.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 PM
IndyNick
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - There are 400 automatics sitting in the parking lot for quality control issues due to a transmission part that is defective. All the transmissions will be replaced. Don't expect an automatic soon!

Quick Reply: New C7 Z06