Sponsored by:

GT3 production delays.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I really hope it works out for you, Macca!
Big plus one, Macca! Please keep us posted on the progress. We're expecting lots of photos!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:58 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Macca--haha, I hear you! Okay, okay. I will withold my congratulations for now. Instead, I will will be hoping to hear good news (with pics, naturally!) soon!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:26 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
If it doesn't work out we will be driving a Peugeot hire car! If it does you will all received pictures of the car on the Targa Florio road course Sicily in four weeks with an owner with a big smile!

Wish me luck.
I wish you luck; arms, legs and fingers are crossed!

And if it doesn't work out, do treat yourself to a proper rental. There's plenty of those around in Europe (at the normal rental agencies) too! Life's too short to drive a Peugeot...
Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike & others.

Overnight my dealer tells me "its due to be completed in a fortnight, its already already 90%" but I'm not sure what that means (there is a slight language barrier too).

The earlier update on 26 October was week 47 (18-24 Nov) "delayed".

The prior update on 4 Oct was week 46 "delayed".

The "delayed" has been next to the order for 6 weeks now since late September when I started inquiring. The very original date I was given was loosely indicated as "September 2013 production".

Assuming 14 days maximum for the car to go from completion to "available for customer" (its a factory delivery so needs to go through registration, road tax and insurance plus preparation) we are therefore tonight contemplating resurrecting our travel plans (long since mothballed with all this delay stuff) to fly into Europe from NZ and pick up 9th December. I have asked overnight for some commitment this is feasible however I suspect that we will just have to take the punt. If it doesn't work out we will be driving a Peugeot hire car! If it does you will all received pictures of the car on the Targa Florio road course Sicily in four weeks with an owner with a big smile!

Wish me luck. Its not easy reorganizing ones life and business within 20 days to get on a flight to Europe for 5 weeks!
get winter tyres macca....
peter
Old 11-13-2013, 09:03 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Heck--I'll cross my eyes in additions to arms, fingers, legs, and toes if it means that you and, by extension, all if us can get our cars faster!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Guys! We will know in the next 48 hrs if it is true and then book our tickets to fly out.

Peter they do not make winter tyres for the new GT3. Porsche confirmed none on the market in those sizes. We have instead chosen a route that runs over roads where it s not mandatory for winter tyres. Essentially Lyon, Nice, Genoa Ferry to Sicily. Basically from Stuttgart we just keep on driving South for a whole day until we are at sea level. Then it is coastal roads to the Port of Genoa and 20 hrs overnight Ferry to Sicily. Sicily is still 20-22 C during the day. I enjoy Targa in NZ so my dream is to wake every morning and do the 70km Targa Florio course! First we will get instruction from an old master. The car will return the same route then on a ship out of Germany for NZ. Id like to get it back to NZ in time for a 5000 km trip I have booked with the NZ Rennsport Gruppe to tour in summer (March) and do the four different South island race tracks (full day sessions). To think by March 30 the car may have traveled over 12000 km and on 5 race tracks! I will definitely be putting Michelin Super Sports on the car before that event....

That's the plan...but plans have a habit of changing around here!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Talking

Thanks Guys! We will know in the next 48 hrs if it is true and then book our tickets to fly out.

Peter they do not make winter tyres for the new GT3. Porsche confirmed none on the market in those sizes. We have instead chosen a route that runs over roads where it s not mandatory for winter tyres. Essentially Lyon, Nice, Genoa Ferry to Sicily. Basically from Stuttgart we just keep on driving South for a whole day until we are at sea level. Then it is coastal roads to the Port of Genoa and 20 hrs overnight Ferry to Sicily. Sicily is still 20-22 C during the day. I enjoy Targa in NZ so my dream is to wake every morning and do the 70km Targa Florio course! First we will get instruction from an old master. The car will return the same route then on a ship out of Germany for NZ. Id like to get it back to NZ in time for a 5000 km trip I have booked with the NZ Rennsport Gruppe to tour in summer (March) and do the four different South island race tracks (full day sessions). To think by March 30 the car may have traveled over 12000 km and on 5 race tracks! I will definitely be putting Michelin Super Sports on the car before that event....

That's the plan...but plans have a habit of changing around here!
Wow Macca,

Nice to know soon! We've been waiting for this moment for such a long time!
I really like your plans of doing the factory collection and go on a road trip after that! Must be amazing. Enjoy!
I was considering factory collection myself but they advised me against it. Because of the weather. Especially since you said there will be no winter tyres for the 991 GT3.
(My dealer actually told me he could get me winter tyres for the car. I will check which ones he advised me. Are you sure they don't exist? Not that I don't trust you since you are one of the persons on the blog who knows most IMHO )

ps.
Please go somewhere you've got internet connection. Can't wait to see a few pics!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM
frayed
Race Car

Sounds like a bucket list trip to me. ED is still on mine, and if I got my Q1 production, I would surely do it

But my dealer ended up doing some horsetrading and traded my allocation for a December build. Sooooo, looks like projected delivery is mid February, not when I'd want to do an ED!

I'm pumped at getting a crack at getting my car earlier, bummed about ED so I'll have to live vicariously through you!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991GT3
Wow Macca,

Nice to know soon! We've been waiting for this moment for such a long time!
I really like your plans of doing the factory collection and go on a road trip after that! Must be amazing. Enjoy!
I was considering factory collection myself but they advised me against it. Because of the weather. Especially since you said there will be no winter tyres for the 991 GT3.
(My dealer actually told me he could get me winter tyres for the car. I will check which ones he advised me. Are you sure they don't exist? Not that I don't trust you since you are one of the persons on the blog who knows most IMHO )

ps.
Please go somewhere you've got internet connection. Can't wait to see a few pics!
Thanks for your kind enthusiasm!

I inquired about winter tyres for the 991 GT3 8 months ago when I originally planned this trip. At that time no one made the correct width and size tyre and of course there is no center lock winter rim for 20" as this is a new size. If you can let us know the brand and model of winter tyre available that would be useful for all?

We will be only travelling on German Autobahns for 2 hours before entering France and heading to sea level (Med coast) immediately using motorway so hopefully no issues with weather. I have driven on German roads extensively in early March before on summer tyres and found no issue on the autobahns, only some tricky early morning driving on highways and roads. In Vanuatu we have a coral road so drive daily on a very slippery surface....
Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

TireRack in the US has 2 different winter tire options for the 991 GT3 – Michelin Pilot Alpin and Pirelli Sottozero. With winter tires you will downsize to 295 in the rear – I use the 295 Sottozeros on my Turbo and they are great.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:15 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Name:  wt.JPG
Views: 496
Size:  84.0 KB
Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a bit confused that some of the US folks seem to be getting some potential delivery dates. My dealer has 5 GT3's on order and as of yesterday has no firm dates.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
I'm a bit confused that some of the US folks seem to be getting some potential delivery dates. My dealer has 5 GT3's on order and as of yesterday has no firm dates.
skuplist: so when your sales person pulls tracking information out of the ordering system for your car, there is nothing? No dates shown for order status, enter and exit production, ship and arrival dates, etc.?

I don't know how "firm" these dates are that my SA is getting out of the computer, but he seems to believe they are valid, and they are actual dates that were updated at the end of October.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frayed
Sounds like a bucket list trip to me. ED is still on mine,
Hey frayed, don't despair. Medical studies report that most men will get to experience ED at some time in their lives.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor

Hey mate. Thanks for the information. I looked at those a while back and asked my dealer in Europe, he asked the factory and they told him the 295 section tyre would not work on a 12 inch rear rim as its maximum width certification was 11 inches. Fronts were no issue but at that time I was told there were no rears that would work unless a narrower rim was used which is not available (yet?). I have zero experience in this area so not sure what to conclude?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!