Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 production delays.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 05:38 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those with current GT3 orders, now that your projected delivery dates are getting much closer to the RS launch, shouldn't some of you consider cancelling and holding out for the RS instead? If you answer no to that, what are the reasons? (for not holding out longer)
Old 11-02-2013, 07:05 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aamersa
For those with current GT3 orders, now that your projected delivery dates are getting much closer to the RS launch, shouldn't some of you consider cancelling and holding out for the RS instead? If you answer no to that, what are the reasons? (for not holding out longer)
Other than having NO info on the RS, there is the small matter of ~$40k.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tmg57
Other than having NO info on the RS, there is the small matter of ~$40k.
Ok, didn't realize that the price difference would be that much. I was thinking it would be close to base turbo price. So is it expected to be near turbo S price?

There are rumours it might be 4.0 but that would still not be worth an add'l 40K.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yip. 40K for not much more IMHO and heck who want a car that may be so compromised they cant use ut as a daily driver. Id rather save a few tenths around the track and use this car every waking moment of my life than a garage car that comes out for track days on thanks - especially at 180K USD!

Tom you raise an interesting point. My order is also supposedly part of the early ROW orders (RHD). Initially orders such as your and mine and from what Im told the Asia bound LHD cars were all meant to be produced before USA LHD and UK RHD cars were started. I was told in the early days this was around 300 units. Of course back then my car was estimated to be built in Sept, then Oct then Nov. It now says week 47 Nov in the system and apparently Im a "VIP order" being one of the first ins the systems (I hope that means free PCCB upgrade LOL!).

You bring to bear a point many of us haven't considered. Right now even for orders like mine is possible to change the specification (i.e. the order isnt locked). So we assume not a single customer car has been built. If that's the case Porsche have 300 units of catch up to do before they even start the USA cars. This letter form Porsche has yet to materialize along with any formal communication to their clients. Id like to be wrong but I fail to understand how any US cars will be completed much before Xmas even if the factory started making cars tomorrow morning...
Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

$50K delta, $180K base was the last rumor.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

According to my dealer, build has moved from 11/15 to 12/6. We will see. Allan
Old 11-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You bring to bear a point many of us haven't considered. Right now even for orders like mine is possible to change the specification (i.e. the order isnt locked). So we assume not a single customer car has been built. If that's the case Porsche have 300 units of catch up to do before they even start the USA cars. This letter form Porsche has yet to materialize along with any formal communication to their clients. Id like to be wrong but I fail to understand how any US cars will be completed much before Xmas even if the factory started making cars tomorrow morning...
They've already disappointed ROW customers so that ship has sailed. Why disappoint US customers (their biggest market) more than necessary? Increase the proportion of GT3's in the production mix, catch up on ROW production at a reasonable rate, and come as close as possible to meeting US commitments. Just throwing it out there....

And yeah, as others have said, an extra $50K for an RS that will be less suited as an all-rounder than the 3 is the reason why I wouldn't be interested in waiting for one.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good points Mike. Guess they will be working overtime on this. Heres a picture taken this week by a friend of mine in Stuttgart. He counted over a dozen 991 GT3 and many TT/S hanging around awaiting delivery - as you cant see some of these are prepared for long distance freight. That said even those of us here and on the UK boards with 14-27 Nov production dates are still able to change options (unlocked) so makes you wonder if the latest dates in the system are accurate. After all they have according to the April 2013 dealer brief below 2.5 months of production to catch up on now (Aug/Sept/Oct) before even starting the USA cars and people like myself and TomTom and the Chinese and eastern markets are part of that period. Its estimated at 300 cars so they are really going to have to haull *** from Monday to catch up by end of Nov when US clients have been told their build starts. As you say maybe they are mixing it all together and just servicing older orders first regardless of RHD/LHD or destination, as to keep everyone happy. RHD demand has now exceeded supply and Ive been told for fact there will likely be no more allocations till mid 2014. You can see my Pistonheads post for more info...
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2013, 06:11 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
They've already disappointed ROW customers so that ship has sailed. Why disappoint US customers (their biggest market) more than necessary? Increase the proportion of GT3's in the production mix, catch up on ROW production at a reasonable rate, and come as close as possible to meeting US commitments. Just throwing it out there....
I can see a lot wishful thinking in your comment, Mike. You and I both know that it makes no (business) sense to do so: further compounding the issues for a limited group of their customers, rather than evenly spreading the burden, regardless their origin.

On top of that, Porsche regularly claims that the ROW markets becoming gradually more important (Middle East / Russia / China) for them in terms of growth in volume and profitability. Messing with these, frequently less brand loyal yet, customers would probably lead to a higher number of cancellations, especially if the word would get out that Porsche allowed other markets' deliveries to 'jump the queue'.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I guess all may become a little clearer this week.....
Old 11-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 92 Posts

Catching up will lead to quality issues. Of that I am sure. Unless Porsche comes clean, I am beginning to reconsider my order. They owe to us who have put money down and spec the car to tell us EXACTLY what is going on!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Catching up will lead to quality issues. ...
I'm not worried about that. Porsche makes approximately 125 911s per week. I assume that when they make GT3s it's not all GT3s, they are making other 911s too. It's unlikely that they idled the plant because of the GT3 delay. It's reasonable to assume that the empty GT3 slots were filled with other 911s and they continued to roll out 125 911s each week. If so, then they are ahead on other 911s and can catch up on GT3s by making more GT3s and fewer other 911s for a month or two.

Last edited by alpine-al; 11-03-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^ Precisely what I was told....
Old 11-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
I can see a lot wishful thinking in your comment, Mike. You and I both know that it makes no (business) sense to do so: further compounding the issues for a limited group of their customers, rather than evenly spreading the burden, regardless their origin.

On top of that, Porsche regularly claims that the ROW markets becoming gradually more important (Middle East / Russia / China) for them in terms of growth in volume and profitability. Messing with these, frequently less brand loyal yet, customers would probably lead to a higher number of cancellations, especially if the word would get out that Porsche allowed other markets' deliveries to 'jump the queue'.
Why do you insist on squashing my dreams? My comment carries no more weight than anyone else's, Tom. Just throwing it out there as one of many possibilities. Why were ROW orders being satisfied before US orders in the first place? Were they placed in the system earlier? I've had a deposit down since March of 2012. Maybe that should give me priority!

I have no idea how Porsche will satisfy the backlog nor will my "suggestion" have any effect on the outcome one way or the other. It's all just speculation, right?

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I'm not worried about that. Porsche makes approximately 125 911s per week. I assume that when they make GT3s it's not all GT3s, they are making other 911s too. It's unlikely that they idled the plant because of the GT3 delay. It's reasonable to assume that the empty GT3 slots were filled with other 911s and they continued to roll out 125 911s each week. If so, then they are ahead on other 911s and can catch up on GT3s by making more GT3s and fewer other 911s for a month or two.
Agree completely. That makes perfect sense.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:48 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Why were ROW orders being satisfied before US orders in the first place?
I don't know. Changing priorities? Allowing for more time to get the racing seats approved?

Please don't shoot those that benefit from it. Ask Porsche for an explanation. And surprise us if they give you one.

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!