Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 production delays.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013 | 06:25 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Maybe the bucket seats will be ready by the time production starts....
Old 10-29-2013 | 06:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

"Unfortunately, we have to inform you that we are still facing delivery issues at our system supplier for one of our GT3 standard options"........

Interesting wording. Any idea, Macca, what they are referring to?
Old 10-29-2013 | 08:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Mike. This was also the wording around the original delay communication back in September. Initially I thought "lift option" but I discovered this was not the issue. I believe that the "standard options" as Porsche call them that relate to the 991 GT3 are PDK-S, 20" wheels and a few other things llike RWS and PTV etc.

My guess is what we are seeing is an issue with PDK or RWS. Although there has been alot of scare mongering on here about the engines I believe there is no issue here. I understand there was a revised component change but I dont think this is the delay. Of course no onee at PAG is saying anything but I get the suspicion that as 991S and Turbo orders are now also affected perhaps its an issue with gearbox supplier or RWS system (being new and introduced late to the product development - almost rushed into production as it was actually originally for 918)...Just my thoughts thats all.

I have used the delay to change my order to PTS Mexico Blue. I have also changed to folding bucket seats now they can be provided with heated option (for my wife) and full Clubsport 003 spec (cage etc). I dumped teh LED headlights as I decided I dint like the look and went with PDLS as I will be picking up in Europe in May 2014 now and its RHD so need to be able to alter beam pattern for use on Euro roads. Also PDLS option lights have grey ring around outside and not so much chrome inside mechanism so I think looks less shiny and blingy than factory stock headlights and also it matches finish of wheels (matt grey titanium).
Old 10-29-2013 | 09:11 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Maybe the bucket seats will be ready by the time production starts....
We can only hope.

Macca, as you know from Rennlist, the TT's and TTS's are being delivered. However, they have a different transmission than the one in the GT3. If recently the production of the TT's have been delayed then the issue must related to the RWS. This also may explain HvS comments regarding the car being unmanageable at the limit. This would be a very serious safety issues especially for amateurs buying the car. Porsche needed to correct the problem. If I recall correctly, SA had an early car and tested it in the later part of August.

But why deliver TT's if the RWS is an issue unless AWD is the difference?
Old 10-29-2013 | 10:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nick. I have heard from NZ dealer and also UK dealer where I have friends with orders that although initial allocations of TT & TTS were delivered there are now delays in production and delivery same as 991 GT3.

I agree with you assumptions. The gearboxes are different. So this does lead us to believe that perhaps the issues are RWS. The TT versions have a system that delivers up to 3 degrees of toe in (twice that of GT3) and is calibrated for use with 4WD. I can only assume that subsequent endurance testing of the GT3 and GT3RS has brought to attention some design inadequacy with the hardware or software systems. Pure speculation of course but RWS was a late addition to the spec and my tyre engineer friend at the Ring in Sept said at that time they were still tuning the system so maybe it was under developed. Again pure speculation. Of course it could be something as simple as supplier cannot keep up with demand or has delivered units with a faulty or sub standard component. not sure if we will ever know.

To be honest right now I think we should not speculate and just wait for PAG to come clean. Eventually the truth will come out. Whatever it is does no longer seem to be just GT3 related.

My belief is GT3 had issues before this latest one being the decision to add additional capacity for oil coiling. I understand this was "precautionary only". It was an upgrade being tested for RS and decision was made to implement it for GT3. No one at Porsche is taking chances with this car. They have alot riding on this variant. I was told same with component engine internals. I hear nothing of an engine failure as mentioned on here by one poster who has now vanished to comment! Thats the only talk of that on the web as far as I know. My thoughts are the gearbox cooler was the main delay in August and now the RWS just when production was bout to start again beginning of Oct. Best to be safe than sorry. For sure we will have a very solid car by the time it arrives!
Old 10-30-2013 | 12:36 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Hi Macca, thanks for the info. It makes sense. I'm disappointed by the delay but not concerned as I think the finished product will be better for it. Mexico Blue will be terrific and the way things are working out you'll get your tourist delivery in much better weather. I agree with your thoughts on the PDLS; I went with it for the same reasons (well, not the RHD part!).
Old 10-30-2013 | 12:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
. I have also changed to folding bucket seats now they can be provided with heated option (for my wife) and full Clubsport 003 spec (cage etc).
Macca, I was thinking and curious about your statement above because the folding sport buckets in my 997.2 weren't available with seat heating and I thought maybe something had changed. But I used the New Zealand configurator, chose the buckets, and then selected seat heating. It told me I had to change my selection to either the 4 way or 18 way sport seats. Is the configurator out of date or am I missing something? Just thought I'd mention it in case..... Cheers.
Old 10-30-2013 | 02:24 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Macca, I was thinking and curious about your statement above because the folding sport buckets in my 997.2 weren't available with seat heating and I thought maybe something had changed. But I used the New Zealand configurator, chose the buckets, and then selected seat heating. It told me I had to change my selection to either the 4 way or 18 way sport seats. Is the configurator out of date or am I missing something? Just thought I'd mention it in case..... Cheers.
The configurator is wrong (at least in the UK) - heating can now be added to Sports Buckets (P03). The dealers in the UK can't see it on their system but can phone Porsche GB to get it added. Mine was updated today and a few other UK guys on PH got theirs amended too.

Now got a revised factory completion date of 27th November which was updated yesterday. I was originally due an October build so 4-6 weeks late.
Old 10-30-2013 | 02:47 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
+1 on 0Q991's post....Brett, could you please clarify your info?
All new GT3 allocations are on hold until next month and they did not get distributed as expected when we received our allocation last week. Hopefully this issue will be resolved quickly and we will be able to contact the folks who are patiently waiting on these slots....
Old 10-30-2013 | 03:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
The configurator is wrong (at least in the UK) - heating can now be added to Sports Buckets (P03). The dealers in the UK can't see it on their system but can phone Porsche GB to get it added. Mine was updated today and a few other UK guys on PH got theirs amended too.

Now got a revised factory completion date of 27th November which was updated yesterday. I was originally due an October build so 4-6 weeks late.
Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
All new GT3 allocations are on hold until next month and they did not get distributed as expected when we received our allocation last week. Hopefully this issue will be resolved quickly and we will be able to contact the folks who are patiently waiting on these slots....
Thanks to you both for the clarification....
Old 10-30-2013 | 08:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike. Yes what they say is correct. I shows on the german system but no one else yet. But Ive been told its available. As it was the only reason (wife inflicted) I kept the stock sport seats there was no longer an excuse not to go for the 003 ClupSport package and get thee "free" age and stuff.

Looks like my PTS Mexico Blue 336 request has been knocked back. Factory require 90 days before production slot to beable to open that option and up to 180 days end to end to deliver. Ive been tld by the factory that RHD cars are so over ordered I could loose my allocation altogether if I insist on PTS. No worries, I like the Appliance White as it was always my dream colour - got a bit bored waiting so started dreaming up other colours. I guess if I change my mine can still get a wrap....saves me alot of money too....
Old 10-31-2013 | 10:00 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Visited my dealer today to ask for an update, since I was informed that "there would be no news until the end of October". They are awaiting an official letter from Porsche Middle East directly to all customers involved, but don't know the content of that letter.

As we all know, there is a supplier part issue, which needs to be fixed / retrofitted on all completed GT3s that are currently quarantined. The fact that this letter will be send now tells me that it isn't going to be fixed in the coming week(s), otherwise they wouldn't bother. The Turbo (S) deliveries started slow, but are underway. So it's clearly a unique part to the GT3.

The system, which neither of us believe, now shows a week 44 production (this week) and a week 51 delivery, as compared to week 47 in the last confirmation. And 44, 41 and even week 35 before that. So, I need to find myself another X-Mas present, because it ain't gonna be the GT3, that's for sure!
Old 10-31-2013 | 02:45 PM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Visited my dealer today to ask for an update, since I was informed that "there would be no news until the end of October".
Did you mention to your dealer that today IS the end of October?
Old 10-31-2013 | 05:39 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't even have an allocation and the Rep at Beverly Hills Porsche said that they are shooting for Mid-December to early January for there cars. However the LA Auto Show confirmed it would have a 991 GT3 there..... So who knows what that means.
Old 11-01-2013 | 03:23 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by DareMightyThings
Did you mention to your dealer that today IS the end of October?
That was the exact reason why I went there!

Last edited by TomTom77; 11-01-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!