Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 03:04 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Harvey
I had the "unfortunate" opportunity to see inside many of the 991.1 engines, including I was told were the latest. These did have the DLC fingers. None had any new extra oil spray parts fitted. Those would certainly help and out of interest, would love to see how they did it.
Were the cam lobes DLC as well? It's my understanding that was the difference maker as my 2015 engine has DLC finger followers which were rubbed down by a raw cam.

Thank you for your input and involvement on this topic.

Last edited by itrsteve; 01-25-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:31 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Were the cam lobes DLC as well? It's my understanding that was the difference maker as my 2015 engine has DLC finger followers which were rubbed down by a raw cam.

Thank you for your input and involvement on this topic.
GREAT question!
I find it hard to believe PAG would replace these motors at such numbers and cost without providing a stable remedy. Had thought the G6 solved it all, but this has wildly stirred the pot.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:09 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by slipaway37
I believe we do not yet have enough (if any) G6 motor failure data to go by, and only know of a few G-series owners who have racked up 20+ K miles thus far.
Same theory follows those F-series (2015+) and some early G-series motors that have yet to go because Porsche did apply DLC coating or who knows what else in attempts to remedy the issue taking those motors longer to let-go.

I would feel much better hearing this news from PAG/PNA themselves to settle it for certain.
Even friends who work for Porsche seem to have signed NDAs as everything is so 'secretive,' and I understand why (sort of).
Perhaps at the 10 year warranty expiration PAG will send current 991.1 GT3 owners a letter of explanation and/or perhaps a nice severance check: yeah right, but wishful thinking!
Bluesclues has piled over 20k on his G6 motor with a ton of track miles. DLC coating the parts didn’t solve the problem, they were still letting go. When you rub two dry pieces of metal together there gonna wear down. Give Porsche some credit for getting to the bottom of the problem and adding the oil sprayers to create a barrier between the metal parts. Neil never said he specifically saw G6 motors that failed. I’m still waiting for someone to pop on here and say ‘my G6 had a top end failure’
Old 01-25-2023, 06:17 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mthrice
Bluesclues has piled over 20k on his G6 motor with a ton of track miles. DLC coating the parts didn’t solve the problem, they were still letting go. When you rub two dry pieces of metal together there gonna wear down. Give Porsche some credit for getting to the bottom of the problem and adding the oil sprayers to create a barrier between the metal parts. Neil never said he specifically saw G6 motors that failed. I’m still waiting for someone to pop on here and say ‘my G6 had a top end failure’
I had thought Neil did in-fact say that he has seen the G6 internals and they did not have the additional oil sprayers?
Old 01-25-2023, 06:18 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

"​​​​​​I had the "unfortunate" opportunity to see inside many of the 991.1 engines, including I was told were the latest. These did have the DLC fingers. None had any new extra oil spray parts fitted. Those would certainly help and out of interest, would love to see how they did it."
?????
Old 01-25-2023, 06:31 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

"​​​​​​I had the "unfortunate" opportunity to see inside many of the 991.1 engines, including I was told were the latest. These did have the DLC fingers. None had any new extra oil spray parts fitted. Those would certainly help and out of interest, would love to see how they did it."
?????
You know Neil is in the business of selling rebuilds, right? He designed his engine fix before Porsche decided to give a 10 year extended warrantly, right? The warranty was initiated in, im guessing here, 2016-2017. Neil never has seen a G6 motor as they weren't even designed when he was looking at broken engines. Does that make any sense?
Old 01-25-2023, 06:54 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

You know Neil is in the business of selling rebuilds, right? He designed his engine fix before Porsche decided to give a 10 year extended warrantly, right? The warranty was initiated in, im guessing here, 2016-2017. Neil never has seen a G6 motor as they weren't even designed when he was looking at broken engines. Does that make any sense?
Yes; however, the verbiage of, "including I was told were the latest" to me implies the G6 no?
Perhaps I am reading too much into it or missing something?
Old 01-25-2023, 06:55 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

And if that's the case, then why would he even chime-in on this thread?
Old 01-25-2023, 06:57 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Yes; however, the verbiage of, "including I was told were the latest" to me implies the G6 no?
Perhaps I am reading too much into it or missing something?
Dude, he was looking at engines in 2017 to try and figure out a fix. He was looking at the latest engine at the time. Either an F or a G0. Neil, where you at? He coulda looked on the block, the model is stamped right on it.

Last edited by Mthrice; 01-25-2023 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:02 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Dude, he was looking at engines in 2017 to try and figure out a fix. He was looking at the latest engine at the time. Either an F or a G0. Neil, where you at? He coulda looked on the block, the model is stamped right on it.
Aaahhh, ok gotcha now. Well had thought I did.........
I just went back to re-read all pages and still leave with the impression that the G6 is still a flawed design.

Last edited by slipaway37; 01-25-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:05 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

But then again what exactly does this imply to my direct question of the G6 motor?
​​​​​​Quote:
@Neil Harvey: Does your comment, "the design still lacks the oil (gap) to remove the temperature from the friction created from the metal on metal contact" imply that the G6-series motors still carry over this flawed design?
Have anyone yet dissected a G6 since release to observe damage?
I saw how damaged my E-series motor was, and no way would I had rebuilt that motor provided all the contaminants that went throughout the entire system.

Yes it does. The exact same cylinder head, spray bar location and the exact same finger design and hydraulic actuation. The difference was the coating that gave the surfaces a harder wearing surface. There is not a lot you could have done,(Porsche) other than the band aid they did. The DLC certainly made a difference.
The .2 engine was changed over to solids to get away from the .1 design. It was never for a performance upgrade, although it can add some performance.
In my opinion, someone was asleep at the wheel when the .1 design was Ok'ed.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:18 PM
DDE997
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Not enough testing on the road, Porsche released the engine too soon, and it came back to bite them hard! All these .1's should have a liftetime warranty on these engines, they released a lemon! Run some Good oil, and hope for the best!

Last edited by DDE997; 01-25-2023 at 08:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Summerjack (03-22-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by DDE997
Not enough testing on the road, Porsche released the engine too soon, and it came back to bit them hard! All these .1's should have a liftetime warranty on these engines, the released a lemon! Run some Good oil, and hope for the best!
I don't mind the warranty being limited as long as the replacement engines actually fix the problem. There's no justification for providing flawed replacement engines, hoping that not many of them will fail before the warranty expires. It would be in Porsche's reputational interest to provide a substantial warranty for these engines (based on miles after the engine is installed, not years).
The following users liked this post:
slipaway37 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 11:18 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I don't mind the warranty being limited as long as the replacement engines actually fix the problem. There's no justification for providing flawed replacement engines, hoping that not many of them will fail before the warranty expires. It would be in Porsche's reputational interest to provide a substantial warranty for these engines (based on miles after the engine is installed, not years).
The perspective is that the .1 design is flawed and even though Porsche made improvements up through the G6, the design is inherently flawed (only fixed by a redesign in the .2). What will be the longevity of the latest G6? Who knows. And I suspect that the Porsche lawyers provided input re the implications of simply improving the .1 design or acknowledging its flaws by replacing the .1 with the .2 design.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
The perspective is that the .1 design is flawed and even though Porsche made improvements up through the G6, the design is inherently flawed (only fixed by a redesign in the .2). What will be the longevity of the latest G6? Who knows. And I suspect that the Porsche lawyers provided input re the implications of simply improving the .1 design or acknowledging its flaws by replacing the .1 with the .2 design.
Wouldn’t installing flawed replacement engines potentially lead to a class action suit?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends