991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 12:29 PM
mdwagn
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends

Hi everyone,

I am looking for my first P-car and am very interested in the .1 GT3. I plan to buy it and keep it for several years.
I don't really worry about the engine issue since it'll be covered by the warranty anyway. But when I sell it in a few years, say 2024, the warranty (almost) ends.
Now, the problem is that I didn't see any permanent solution to the engine issue. (According to several thread that I searched) If I am wrong I will be very happy to buy it.
So even with the new engine, it's just a matter of time. I am thinking it will affect the resale value quite a lot. At least for me I'll walk away from it.
Another solution might be just dropping a .2 GT3 engine in it - not sure if it's doable at a reasonable cost.

What do you think? Should I buy the .1 GT3 now?

Ref:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...r-updates.html
Old 11-24-2021, 12:43 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 693 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwagn
Hi everyone,

I am looking for my first P-car and am very interested in the .1 GT3. I plan to buy it and keep it for several years.
I don't really worry about the engine issue since it'll be covered by the warranty anyway. But when I sell it in a few years, say 2024, the warranty (almost) ends.
Now, the problem is that I didn't see any permanent solution to the engine issue. (According to several thread that I searched) If I am wrong I will be very happy to buy it.
So even with the new engine, it's just a matter of time. I am thinking it will affect the resale value quite a lot. At least for me I'll walk away from it.
Another solution might be just dropping a .2 GT3 engine in it - not sure if it's doable at a reasonable cost.

What do you think? Should I buy the .1 GT3 now?

Ref:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...r-updates.html
1.) The replacement G6 engines have not reported any finger follower wear issues so there is no reason to question them at this juncture. I'd argue "it's just a matter of time" as incorrect. A member on here (TPC Racing) use to enduro race theirs with great success. That's all the evidence I need. I killed my original after one track day and you have these guys doing 8 hour races in a G6 holding up just fine.

2.) Nobody has a crystal ball on future values. Willing to wager that much of that future risk is baked into the price you see today.

3.) If you buy a 2014/2015 with the original in tact, the time to give it hell is right now. Personal opinion, I wouldn't entertain buying one in 2023 and beyond without a G6 in place.

4.) Dundon and Performance developments have a solid lifter design but nobody is cracking engines open with the warranty in place. No confirmation on price but it's not going to be cheap.

Last edited by itrsteve; 11-24-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:04 PM
mdwagn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrsteve
1.) The replacement G6 engines have not reported any finger follower wear issues so there is no reason to question them at this juncture. I'd argue "it's just a matter of time" as incorrect. A member on here (TPC Racing) use to enduro race theirs with great success. That's all the evidence I need. I killed my original after one track day and you have these guys doing 8 hour races in a G6 holding up just fine.

2.) Nobody has a crystal ball on future values. Willing to wager that much of that future risk is baked into the price you see today.

3.) If you buy a 2014/2015 with the original in tact, the time to give it hell is right now. Personal opinion, I wouldn't entertain buying one in 2023 and beyond without a G6 in place.

4.) Dundon and Performance developments have a solid lifter design but nobody is cracking engines open with the warranty in place. No confirmation on price but it's not going to be cheap.
Thanks.
I might be mislead since I am digging into threads years ago and the conclusion then might not applies to the latest G6 engine.
If this is true, it will be amazing.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:29 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

IMO the values will definitely take a hit starting around 2023-24 when the warranty end is coming up on a lot of these cars. When I bought my GT3 it was one of the main reasons I got it, other than it being one of the best cars ever made. The warranty was major peace of mind on such an expensive engine.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:18 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdwagn
Thanks.
I might be mislead since I am digging into threads years ago and the conclusion then might not applies to the latest G6 engine.
If this is true, it will be amazing.
Will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out over time.

My guess is that once 2024'ish rolls around there will certainly be a negative impact, the G6'd cars will fare okay relative to the others but will still take a reputation hit by association. But eventually they'll find their bottom resistance point and rebound due to the sheer fact that you'll no longer to be able to buy any 9k NA screamers and the price gap to a 991.2 (for instance) will be great enough to justify eating an out-of-pocket engine expense if it comes to that (hell, that's pretty much the case today). I suppose we'll have to revisit in 2030+

The other thing I'll be interested to see if there's any additional concessions or goodwill made by Porsche once the warranties are up due to legal pressure from a class action suit or bad PR pressure. Let's face it, this 100% should have been a recall but they shut everybody up with the warranty and bought some time, played the numbers game and prevented a parts flood and labor at dealers. Purely speculation on my part.

Funny enough, I was at my dealer last week getting an oil change and they had three 991.1's in for engine replacements. They're not tough to kill if driven.

I always thought it was a cool value prop that it was the only GT3 where you're incentivized to drive it hard and rack up the miles. No rewards for bubble wrapping.

Last edited by itrsteve; 11-24-2021 at 02:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
911C2R (01-14-2023)
Old 11-24-2021, 02:29 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 308 Posts

There are still many of these running around with the original motors. I test drove a 2015 3 years ago with 108K miles on it and also know of a 2014 with over 80 hard track days on it - both with the original motor. My 2015 still has the original motor and I expect by the time my warranty runs out I will have 40K+ miles on it. If it hasn't died by then I'll assume it will lead a normal life for the rest of its days. 3 years ago people told me I was nuts for paying what I did for the car and the popular belief amongst the .2 owners was that the car would be widely selling for under $100K by 2019. I can sell the car back to the dealer at this point in time for close to what I paid for it. Between the technology leap and styling of the car you could see this model would become somewhat timeless and a bargain even at current prices when a loaded 992 GT3 is currently selling for $250K with options and dealer ADMs.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDCR:
globalmike (09-21-2023), Manhattan_trout (11-25-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 02:47 PM
mdwagn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out over time.

My guess is that once 2024'ish rolls around there will certainly be a negative impact, the G6'd cars will fare okay relative to the others but will still take a reputation hit by association. But eventually they'll find their bottom resistance point and rebound due to the sheer fact that you'll no longer to be able to buy any 9k NA screamers and the price gap to a 991.2 (for instance) will be great enough to justify eating an out-of-pocket engine expense if it comes to that (hell, that's pretty much the case today). I suppose we'll have to revisit in 2030+

The other thing I'll be interested to see if there's any additional concessions or goodwill made by Porsche once the warranties are up due to legal pressure from a class action suit or bad PR pressure. Let's face it, this 100% should have been a recall but they shut everybody up with the warranty and bought some time, played the numbers game and prevented a parts flood and labor at dealers. Purely speculation on my part.

Funny enough, I was at my dealer last week getting an oil change and they had three 991.1's in for engine replacements. They're not tough to kill if driven.

I always thought it was a cool value prop that it was the only GT3 where you're incentivized to drive it hard and rack up the miles. No rewards for bubble wrapping.
Agreed. I think the buyers of the .1 GT3 are true lovers of driving fun.
Now this is tempting...
I prefer the look the .1 GT3. If I bought one I will probably drop the .2 steering wheel though. The .1 wheels are somehow dated looking IMO.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:23 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 308 Posts

The .1 wheel looks a little better in matte carbon although changing that pc is a PITA. I had previously swapped a .2 GT wheel onto a 2015 GTS (had previous to the GT3) but I found I liked the feel of the .1 wheel of the GT3 over the .2 GT version so I just kept it.
The following users liked this post:
stevwang (03-30-2023)
Old 11-24-2021, 04:28 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

Who buys a car and worries about it?
Old 11-24-2021, 07:57 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Buy it and drive it, th 3.8L sounds amazing, especially with exhaust. If engine is going to go it will go by 40k miles typically.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:07 PM
mdwagn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDCR
The .1 wheel looks a little better in matte carbon although changing that pc is a PITA. I had previously swapped a .2 GT wheel onto a 2015 GTS (had previous to the GT3) but I found I liked the feel of the .1 wheel of the GT3 over the .2 GT version so I just kept it.
not gonna lie the .1 steering wheel is going on me recently. The carbon trim definitely helps!
Old 11-24-2021, 08:41 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm100
Who buys a car and worries about it?
One who doesn't want to worry about a 50-80k engine taking a ****, when the engine series is known to have issues?
The following 3 users liked this post by thuggo:
asp.pit (06-26-2022), rekka (02-23-2024), Summerjack (03-22-2023)
Old 11-24-2021, 11:28 PM
elgato13
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

As long as you buy one with a G engine you’ll be fine. If the one you buy doesn’t have it, start racking up the miles so you can get it replaced sooner than later. I think the only ones that will have their value plummet is out of warranty original engine models. I doubt the price gap between the .1 and .2 will go away so you have to decide if the 40k-50k savings is worth it.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:23 AM
Manhattan_trout
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
There are still many of these running around with the original motors. I test drove a 2015 3 years ago with 108K miles on it and also know of a 2014 with over 80 hard track days on it - both with the original motor. My 2015 still has the original motor and I expect by the time my warranty runs out I will have 40K+ miles on it. If it hasn't died by then I'll assume it will lead a normal life for the rest of its days. 3 years ago people told me I was nuts for paying what I did for the car and the popular belief amongst the .2 owners was that the car would be widely selling for under $100K by 2019. I can sell the car back to the dealer at this point in time for close to what I paid for it. Between the technology leap and styling of the car you could see this model would become somewhat timeless and a bargain even at current prices when a loaded 992 GT3 is currently selling for $250K with options and dealer ADMs.
this!!! Mine has 41k miles. Driven it hard in 2nd gear to 9k rpm, drivers ed events etc. never had a single issue. Maybe it will eventually break down but the car has been flawless so far.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:51 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thuggo
One who doesn't want to worry about a 50-80k engine taking a ****, when the engine series is known to have issues?
Agreed on the point made, I certainly worried about it… but it was a calculated risk. It’s a hell of a lot of car at the laughable price they sell for. Anybody that thinks they’re going to depreciate to the ground is going to be disappointed.

But just so we’re not spreading bad information - the out of pocket for the engine replacement (provided that you have a core) is close to $50k with parts and labor.

If I had an original engine as the warranty was expiring, I would pay the out of pocket expense to drop the engine out and let the dealer give it a visual inspection. They’re either going to see wear and replace it or they’re going to see nothing and you’ll have peace of mind that it’s AOK.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends