Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 01:16 PM
RobbieMC
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec
Fingers crossed for you, hopefully you get this resolved. Are they covering this under the warranty? I live in Frisco so I assume we have the same servicing dealer.
I usually use Porsche Plano, but the failure happened down in Austin. I sent all my service records to my advisor down there, and Porsche authorized an engine replacement no questions asked. My big concern is what Manifold previously brought up, if Porsche doesn’t extend the warranty per replacement engine we are all screwed if the G6 has catastrophic issues as well. Many owners aren’t going to hit the 8-9k miles it took for our engines to blow for a few years.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:45 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieMC
My car is currently at the dealership waiting on it’s 4th motor. The latest was a G6 that lasted all of 9k miles. Unlike the previous motors this one really went out quite dramatically and poured a ton of oil into the exhaust. I’m interested to find out what caused it. In my opinion if Porsche doesn’t extend the motor warranties on these cars they’ll essentially be worthless.
So you just joined Rennlist to post your engine failure? Did you own the car when the G6 was installed?
Old 03-09-2023, 01:53 PM
RobbieMC
Cruisin'

I’ve lurked on here for years, but yes my original intent was to make a post asking for advice until I stumbled upon this thread. Yes, I owned the car when the G6 was installed.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:22 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 715 Likes on 396 Posts

My car is currently at the dealership waiting on it’s 4th motor. The latest was a G6 that lasted all of 9k miles. Unlike the previous motors this one really went out quite dramatically and poured a ton of oil into the exhaust. I’m interested to find out what caused it. In my opinion if Porsche doesn’t extend the motor warranties on these cars they’ll essentially be worthless.
Crap. Good news for the owners is that it wasn't a finger follower issue so everybody can breathe.

On the flip side, sucks that another got hit with a bottom end failure but glad you're in the coverage window and that they didn't limit the replacement language to just valvetrain failures.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:46 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I’ve lurked on here for years, but yes my original intent was to make a post asking for advice until I stumbled upon this thread. Yes, I owned the car when the G6 was installed.
Have you previously posted exactly what happen with the prior three motors?
Track non-track use, etc.?
I am approaching 5k miles on my fairly recent G6 install, and luckily have warranty until 101K miles or May 2028 whichever comes first.
Getting ready for some fresh oil for this track season. Maybe this motor will also meet its demise; who knows.
Sincerely appreciate your posting this info, but none of which is making me feel 110 percent comfy the G6 'sealed the deal' as being advertised.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:06 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by slipaway37
I am approaching 5k miles on my fairly recent G6 install, and luckily have warranty until 101K miles or May 2028 whichever comes first.
Getting ready for some fresh oil for this track season. Maybe this motor will also meet its demise; who knows.
Sincerely appreciate your posting this info, but none of which is making me feel 110 percent comfy the G6 'sealed the deal' as being advertised.
X2 :/
Old 03-09-2023, 08:19 PM
RobbieMC
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by slipaway37
Once my car is back on the road and there is no question of warranty coverage I’ll write up all the info I have. I even managed to catch the G6 failure on video.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:31 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Once my car is back on the road and there is no question of warranty coverage I’ll write up all the info I have. I even managed to catch the G6 failure on video.
I’m in for this.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:42 AM
xBoost
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

So an E1 failed at 33k miles with many track days failing due to FF. And a G6 failed at 5k do to an issue possibly with the block. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, are we seeing issues with reman short blocks due to machining? Something going on with the core and the machining process? Could it be possible thats it better to get the FF situation fixed via aftermarket solution on an E1? Im very familiar with machining issue of used blocks failing in the performance world. This almost sounds like a similar issue to what Subarus go through with blocks built for performance and seeing new parts installed and having the blocks re-machined. They dont last very long regardless of the quality of parts used.
The following 2 users liked this post by xBoost:
911-140.6 (03-17-2023), RobbieMC (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 08:46 AM
xBoost
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Why do you have to wait?
Old 03-10-2023, 03:50 PM
RobbieMC
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by xBoost
Why do you have to wait?
I was quoted 2-3+ weeks just for parts to arrive. I trust Porsche to stand behind their warranty, but that’s a lot of time for them to change their minds if they don’t like something I post.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 06:12 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

I was quoted 2-3+ weeks just for parts to arrive. I trust Porsche to stand behind their warranty, but that’s a lot of time for them to change their minds if they don’t like something I post.
They're not gonna rebuild your existing block. They have engines already built sitting on shelves that they ship out to dealers. Maybe ask some more questiions to get clarification on what their doing. Mine took 5 business days total and I have photos of my f engine sitting next to my g engine.

Last edited by Mthrice; 03-10-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:13 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mthrice
They're not gonna rebuild your existing block. They have engines already built sitting on shelves that they ship out to dealers. Maybe ask some more questiions to get clarification on what their doing. Mine took 5 business days total and I have photos of my f engine sitting next to my g engine.
Of course Porsche won’t use his block as it had a bottom end failure. And Porsche wouldn’t use his block for his replacement engine either. But do you know if Porsche reuses any parts from removed engines? I wouldn’t think so but not sure if anyone really knows.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:15 PM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Of course Porsche won’t use his block as it had a bottom end failure. And Porsche wouldn’t use his block for his replacement engine either. But do you know if Porsche reuses any parts from removed engines? I wouldn’t think so but not sure if anyone really knows.
Only the block, everything else is new, except the air filter. I asked that question when mine was replaced.

Last edited by Mthrice; 03-10-2023 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:57 PM
RobbieMC
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Mthrice
That's how long my last replacement took as well. All I know is that this time some of the bolts, nuts, clamps, and O-rings are being shipped from Germany, and that is causing the delay.

Last edited by RobbieMC; 03-10-2023 at 09:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mthrice (03-10-2023)

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends