Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 05:11 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 492 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by NNayak
I'm curious if he had any comments on the status of their solid lifter top end retrofit for the .1 engine? That seems like a far more economical path forward than shelling out for the full .2 motor swap (especially when the rest of the motor .1 ain't broke...)
I was thinking the same thing, 991.2 lifters in a 991.1? Or is there not a good aftermarket upgrade?

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 01-10-2023, 05:18 PM
NNayak
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
I was thinking the same thing, 991.2 lifters in a 991.1? Or is there not a good aftermarket upgrade?
Several years ago Dundon Motorsports had developed and prototyped their own solution for a solid lifter and cam set up for the .1 motor prior to the rollout of the Porsche 10 year engine warranty and G6 engine development. I personally was curious if the Dundon top end hardware came up in the conversation between the Dundon team and mtx450.

I do not believe that Dundon's fix was simply installing the .2 valvetrain parts into the .1 head, and speaking purely speculatively, I would be surprised if this is even possible as I assume the head castings were revised between the motor generations.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:21 PM
mtx450
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NNayak
I'm curious if he had any comments on the status of their solid lifter top end retrofit for the .1 engine? That seems like a far more economical path forward than shelling out for the full .2 motor swap (especially when the rest of the motor .1 ain't broke...)
Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
He made it seem like when .1 motors start misfiring, the rest of the engine is plagued with wear from the FF deteriorating and you cannot save it. He also mentioned there is some guy that actually takes his engine out every 2-3 years and replaces the FF as preventative measure.

As far as his upgrade, sounds like they've invested +$150k into development for something that they weren't able to sell because of the 10 year engine warranty. So I don't think anything will come from it. At least not now while most .1's are still covered.
The following users liked this post:
Crubbert (01-11-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 05:30 PM
NNayak
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mtx450
He made it seem like when .1 motors start misfiring, the rest of the engine is plagued with wear from the FF deteriorating and you cannot save it. He also mentioned there is some guy that actually takes his engine out every 2-3 years and replaces the FF as preventative measure.
This matches my understanding; you'd want to install the Dundon fix before your engine starts misfiring. Once the motor starts shedding metallic particulate into the oil you'll likely need to replace bearings and hone out any scoring in the cylinder walls.

As far as his upgrade, sounds like they've invested +$150k into development for something that they weren't able to sell because of the 10 year engine warranty. So I don't think anything will come from it. At least not now while most .1's are still covered.
Yeah, this reflects what they said a few years earlier about tabling the sale of the parts until the .1s come out of the 10 year warranty.

Thanks for the info.
Crubbert (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 08:54 AM
mtx450
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The real question is, what will PAG do if motors fail OUTSIDE of the 10 year warranty. Do you think they will make it right? Or do you think they'll close up and be unwilling to goodwill the motor replacement? If I had to guess, they probably have a stockpile of G motors ready to go so it would make sense to keep the customers happy, especially after they admitted fault with a defect.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:12 AM
JCGT3rs
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Not one to be up to date on this topic but curious if the issue being discussed affect the .1 3RS motor? I have 2016 and believe it to be a G motor per the VIN.

thanks

Old 01-11-2023, 12:08 PM
turtl631
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

That's disappointing. I was hoping they would roll this out as the cars come out of warranty. No chance to recover that R&D investment without at least trying to sell the solution.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:42 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 338 Posts

The real question is, what will PAG do if motors fail OUTSIDE of the 10 year warranty. Do you think they will make it right? Or do you think they'll close up and be unwilling to goodwill the motor replacement? If I had to guess, they probably have a stockpile of G motors ready to go so it would make sense to keep the customers happy, especially after they admitted fault with a defect.
I've wondered about that question as well. I think there may be many solutions/directions available that aren't clear at the moment because the warranty is still in place.

All original motors are not doomed to fail. I test drove a 2015 F motor car that had 109K miles on it. At the 4-5K miles I put on my car yearly that could get me 15 more years!

When I bought my car in Dec 2018 the general consensus was the .1s would be worth less then $100K by the end of 2019. That certainly didn't turn out to be the case.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDCR:
911-140.6 (01-11-2023), sdm100 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 03:37 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 492 Likes on 363 Posts

The 10 year warranty was their goodwill... If you are out of the 10 year warranty then it will be on you! G motor stock will come available for purchase... the people who bought these cars new from Porsche, the ones Porsche would care to keep happy, are long gone.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:17 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 715 Likes on 396 Posts

Guys - just go out and picture you're on the longest sweeping curve ever where you're throttle steering between 8700-9000 (the sort of long sweeper where a mid shift would unsettle the car and not be good). But instead of a sweeper on track, it's a quiet/straight backroad and you stay in the upper limits of 2nd gear for maybe a little longer than feels comfortable to gain confidence in your engine.

Thank me later for all the new confidence in your engine you just gained.
The following 2 users liked this post by itrsteve:
AndrewLakes (01-12-2023), slipaway37 (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 11:13 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Guys - just go out and picture you're on the longest sweeping curve ever where you're throttle steering between 8700-9000 (the sort of long sweeper where a mid shift would unsettle the car and not be good). But instead of a sweeper on track, it's a quiet/straight backroad and you stay in the upper limits of 2nd gear for maybe a little longer than feels comfortable to gain confidence in your engine.

Thank me later for all the new confidence in your engine you just gained.
I've tried that a few times after you suggested it last year and my motor seems to be fine with it. IMHO there is no reliable way to grenade these motors until they start throwing the misfire codes. At that point I think your method would help throw the multiple times needed to get the tear down process started.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:16 PM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwagn
Hi everyone,

I am looking for my first P-car and am very interested in the .1 GT3. I plan to buy it and keep it for several years.
I don't really worry about the engine issue since it'll be covered by the warranty anyway. But when I sell it in a few years, say 2024, the warranty (almost) ends.
Now, the problem is that I didn't see any permanent solution to the engine issue. (According to several thread that I searched) If I am wrong I will be very happy to buy it.
So even with the new engine, it's just a matter of time. I am thinking it will affect the resale value quite a lot. At least for me I'll walk away from it.
Another solution might be just dropping a .2 GT3 engine in it - not sure if it's doable at a reasonable cost.

What do you think? Should I buy the .1 GT3 now?

Ref:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...r-updates.html
There’s no guarantees with anything and there is a reason the .1 is so much cheaper than the rest.

I never had any issue with engine on mine. Although the transmission did explode.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:54 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
I've tried that a few times after you suggested it last year and my motor seems to be fine with it. IMHO there is no reliable way to grenade these motors until they start throwing the misfire codes. At that point I think your method would help throw the multiple times needed to get the tear down process started.
I believe that sustained high RPMs under load is the key, and the only [safe] way to do so is on a track. A Porsche Tech even said that to me directly, who also said that they will ALL eventually go unless the G6-series. Let us all hope that this holds true, and if anything this is the motor that PAG should honor a goodwill replacement after the original motor 10 year warranty.
Other than the occasional white puffs of smoke at startup, my car exhibited no other signs, yet I feel it had obvious internal damage upon purchase (used) because the internals were absolutely in bad shape at teardown, and I know the car was previously tracked.
My motor threw that golden CeL on the first drive a week after my first track event going 25-30 mph under normal road conditions.
I feel the previous owner's track use and my first time on track which was a private event with 8 cars enabling me to track literally all day long under high load did the trick.
My car also never required 'multiple' CeL analyses as only had the one event. My dealer took immediate action performing the normal protocols (coil swaps, etc.), and then a one-time tear down (all same day) with possible $10K fee if nothing was found, but received non-verbal queues it would be fried, and she most certainly was. Next thing I knew a new motor was on-order.
I would put money toward or give away my beloved GSD firmly believing that an E series motor will trigger the required CeL if tracked under heavy and continuous high RPM/load; however, the F-series motor seems to be proving a bit more difficult to grenade as certain remedies were attempted to mitigate the threat. I still firmly believe that these motors also will grenade, but takes more effort.
Who knows, and I am just happier than a little kid who has received their most wanted gift to have a brand new G6 with an incredibly adept and gorgeous 911.
Thank you PAG, thank you dealership, and thank you previous owner who tracked my beauty of a beast.
The following 3 users liked this post by slipaway37:
911-140.6 (01-12-2023), AndrewLakes (01-12-2023), blackbeast (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 08:38 AM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 111 Posts

Group buy for a grenade driver
Highline-Autos.com (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 09:08 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 715 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
How long did you do it? I'd suggest doing it for an uncomfortable amount of time, frequently.

I'm rooting for all you guys to get the golden engine. The car is too damn good to have that cloud hanging over it.
The following 3 users liked this post by itrsteve:
911-140.6 (01-14-2023), slipaway37 (01-12-2023), Summerjack (03-22-2023)

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends