991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2024, 01:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,585 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
It wasn't a fault from finger follower failure, that's all that matters when we're discussing an issue that impacts each and every 991.1 GT3.

I'm puzzled how this logic is escaping you.
I understand your logic, but you're not seeing my logic.

Look at the thread title. FF issues aren't the only concern with these engines when the warranty expires, and we have no data on how frequently these engines are having failures in modes unrelated to the FF.

I traded in my 991.1 GT3 because I had generally lost confidence in the G6 engine. I wasn't going to assume that non-FF failures are rare with the G6 after I had experienced such a failure at low miles in my own car. Lack of reported failures in this thread could be due to this thread having too small a sample of owners to capture what's happening in the population of these cars, or cars with the G6 engines are hardly being driven, etc.

Last edited by Manifold; 09-03-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2024, 01:30 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I understand your logic, but you're not seeing my logic.

Look at the thread title. FF issues aren't the only concern with these engines when the warranty expires, and we have no data on how frequently these engines are having failures in modes unrelated to the FF.

I traded in my 991.1 GT3 because I had generally lost confidence in the G6 engine. I wasn't going to assume that non-FF failures are rare with the G6 after I had experienced such a failure at low miles in my own car. Lack of reported failures in this thread could be due to this thread having too small a sample of owners to capture what's happening in the population of these cars, or cars with the G6 engines are hardly being driven, etc.
And that's perfectly fine to report your experience and I'm happy the warranty was comprehensive enough to ensure you were covered. Just take the extra 5 seconds to add the critical context that your G6 failure is unrelated to the primary topic we discuss on this forum. I continue to harp on you time after time, and you still opt to throw the grenade in the room and walk away. The mere fact that there are countless threads on the issue illustrates there's varying degrees of understanding the topic at hand.

Sharing incomplete information may as well be sharing bad information.

All it takes is one casual browser to spread that G6's suffer the same fate because they read about it on Rennlist and are now spewing it on FB groups, youtube or something similar. And now you're effectively messing with people's wallets.
The following users liked this post:
Indyxc (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 05:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Looks like my car was not alone:

Old 09-04-2024, 04:14 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks like my car was not alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDx9d9jXIM8
Been more reported 991.2 failures than G6.
Indyxc (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 04:56 PM
McNamara
Instructor

Received 230 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
Been more reported 991.2 failures than G6.
Based on...?
Old 09-05-2024, 09:18 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 607 Posts

I disagree. Fact is that I had a G6 engine fail at low miles. It should not be reassuring that the failure mode was unrelated to the FF. Since you're particular about it, remind us all what my failure mode was.
Well, as you said, you don't know how many G6 engines have failed in other ways. So, I would challenge your logic because you can't really say much about any possible trend with a sample size of only one datapoint.

The other thing is the failure happened early in the car's life, which the industry term for that is called infant mortality. The statistical failure rate for any system tends to follow a curve on a graph that looks like a smile. The likelihood of a failure is highest at the beginning of life, then statistically drops rather soon. As the system approaches its end of its design life the probability of a failure increases again.

This is why we have warranties. I would venture that your case was simply an outlier due to a non-conforming part since it happened early in the car's life and to the best of our knowledge no one else has reported this failure before (or at least very few have). I understand your frustration, but I wouldn't let that incident dent your confidence.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marv:
slipaway37 (09-05-2024), ztnedman1 (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 12:27 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
Well, as you said, you don't know how many G6 engines have failed in other ways. So, I would challenge your logic because you can't really say much about any possible trend with a sample size of only one datapoint.

The other thing is the failure happened early in the car's life, which the industry term for that is called infant mortality. The statistical failure rate for any system tends to follow a curve on a graph that looks like a smile. The likelihood of a failure is highest at the beginning of life, then statistically drops rather soon. As the system approaches its end of its design life the probability of a failure increases again.

This is why we have warranties. I would venture that your case was simply an outlier due to a non-conforming part since it happened early in the car's life and to the best of our knowledge no one else has reported this failure before (or at least very few have). I understand your frustration, but I wouldn't let that incident dent your confidence.
Yeah, I’m familiar with the bathtub curve. I don’t think 8k miles is that early in the car’s life.
Old 09-06-2024, 03:34 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

It is. Problems in material, to much tense in a bearing, cracks somewhere... that typically shows up between the frist 5 to 15k miles.
Old 09-06-2024, 11:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
It is. Problems in material, to much tense in a bearing, cracks somewhere... that typically shows up between the frist 5 to 15k miles.
Many people won't get to 5-15k miles even within the 4-year warranty period. Only a minority of owners drive the cars enough, and hard enough, to really test their reliability and durability within the warranty period. Porsche knows that, and it surely went into their calculations when offering the 10-year engine warranty. But the replacement engines don't carry a long warranty - I believe it's only 2 years - even if the replacement wasn't done under warranty. I believe that owning a G6 engine out of warranty is a risky proposition, and I chose not to do it. PDK failing at about 42k miles, and needing complete replacement for $19k out of warranty, helped me make that decision.
Old 09-06-2024, 01:19 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Many people won't get to 5-15k miles even within the 4-year warranty period. Only a minority of owners drive the cars enough, and hard enough, to really test their reliability and durability within the warranty period. Porsche knows that, and it surely went into their calculations when offering the 10-year engine warranty. But the replacement engines don't carry a long warranty - I believe it's only 2 years - even if the replacement wasn't done under warranty. I believe that owning a G6 engine out of warranty is a risky proposition, and I chose not to do it. PDK failing at about 42k miles, and needing complete replacement for $19k out of warranty, helped me make that decision.
Your logic makes sense.
For that very reason I purchased the VSP Platinum extended warranty; however, looking at how long it took for my E-series motor to eat itself (6yrs) I doubt (even with very heavy use) the G6 will let go in same amount (or less) of time especially with improved oiling, etc.
If the PDK lets go it's covered under warranty, but after recently hearing a close friend's third party Porsche VSP warranty experience, I am hard pressed to think things will really be as simple to implement warranty coverage.
He was denied a front alignment and a $28 tube of some grease after C4S front CV boot replacement ($3.5k) under the VSP third-party claim. Yes, that's chump change in the Porsche repair world, but to nit-pick over such incidentals is ridiculous IMO.
Old 09-06-2024, 01:45 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I’m familiar with the bathtub curve. I don’t think 8k miles is that early in the car’s life.
8K miles is really nothing and you did drive it easy, so it wasn't like it was highly stressed. Sounds like you are happy with the new ride, so it doesn't matter so much now.
Old 09-06-2024, 01:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

8K miles is really nothing and you did drive it easy, so it wasn't like it was highly stressed. Sounds like you are happy with the new ride, so it doesn't matter so much now.
I loved the car, and traded it in only because of the warranty expiring. If there was a reliable fix or good extended warranty for the engine (and transmission) concerns, I would consider buying another 991.1 GT3. With a good alignment, the car wasn't much slower on track than my 992 GT3, which costs twice as much.
Ed99 (09-07-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 02:12 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

I loved the car, and traded it in only because of the warranty expiring. If there was a reliable fix or good extended warranty for the engine (and transmission) concerns, I would consider buying another 991.1 GT3. With a good alignment, the car wasn't much slower on track than my 992 GT3, which costs twice as much.
I get it, totally. But you now have a warranty and a very good car that hopefully will give you a long service. You might see it as really working out as the best outcome after all once you get a chance to look back at objectively.
Old 09-06-2024, 02:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I get it, totally. But you now have a warranty and a very good car that hopefully will give you a long service. You might see it as really working out as the best outcome after all once you get a chance to look back at objectively.
Insurance cost for tracking a car that costs twice as much is twice as high. That takes some of the enjoyment out of tracking the car. 991.1 GT3 is a great value proposition, if it doesn't blow up out of warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Ed99 (09-07-2024), konrad h1 (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 06:11 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Insurance cost for tracking a car that costs twice as much is twice as high. That takes some of the enjoyment out of tracking the car. 991.1 GT3 is a great value proposition, if it doesn't blow up out of warranty.
I overlooked that one. Pay to play, I guess.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 value after the 10yr engine warranty ends