Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place/price for extended Porsche warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 05:26 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

RS is usually excluded every time we’ve asked the dealer. If this has changed I’d love to know.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:28 PM
NJG 991.1C2S
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost_of_onyx
Could you share which dealer you got it from? I'm in the same position
Can you send me the info on this extended warranty? i need to pull the trigger on one in the next few weeks!!
Old 11-20-2023, 11:17 PM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dropping some feedback here for those looking to buy the Porsche Vehicle Service Protection. It has been worth it overall so far, but beware it is not the same as the new car factory warranty.

The pro is the dealer takes care of the claim with VSP and there is no deductible since I've taken it in twice for repairs.

The con is it not the same as a new car warranty. For example, my parking brake started having issues in this TSB: MC-10161390-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov) which is fully covered under new car factory warranty. However, the VSP does NOT cover the brake shoe parts (~$400) but covers the diagnosis and labor and some parts (~$2k). No idea why the brake shoe is not covered as it's not specifically excluded under the contract exclusions: "brake rotors, brake drums, brake pads and linings"

anyone on the fence of extending, I'd still recommend getting the VSP, I still have 4 years left and its almost half-way paid for itself.

Last edited by Frenzyy; 11-20-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:17 AM
kaaayelll
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry if this has been addressed…

Situation: CPO car; original factory warranty is about to expire.I’m interested in extending coverage via VSC Platinum out to 10 years.

Question: Am I correct in assuming that a VSC Platinum warranty can be added during the CPO period and that it doesn’t need to be added before the factory warranty expires, which would result in warranty layering. Lack of response to the question from the dealer makes me think my assumption is correct.

Secondary question: Any pricing benefits to adding now vs in another two years? I’d think the pricing would be cheaper later since the effective coverage period would be less.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:25 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenzyy
Dropping some feedback here for those looking to buy the Porsche Vehicle Service Protection. It has been worth it overall so far, but beware it is not the same as the new car factory warranty.

The pro is the dealer takes care of the claim with VSP and there is no deductible since I've taken it in twice for repairs.

The con is it not the same as a new car warranty. For example, my parking brake started having issues in this TSB: MC-10161390-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov) which is fully covered under new car factory warranty. However, the VSP does NOT cover the brake shoe parts (~$400) but covers the diagnosis and labor and some parts (~$2k). No idea why the brake shoe is not covered as it's not specifically excluded under the contract exclusions: "brake rotors, brake drums, brake pads and linings"

anyone on the fence of extending, I'd still recommend getting the VSP, I still have 4 years left and its almost half-way paid for itself.
That's a tough one. The service manager at a nearby Porsche dealership told me Fidelity is easier than the Porsche warranty to get claims covered. I'm speaking of the Fidelity Platinum warranty because it, too, is exclusionary.
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 09:33 AM
SteingoldVolvoCars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by kaaayelll
Sorry if this has been addressed…

Situation: CPO car; original factory warranty is about to expire.I’m interested in extending coverage via VSC Platinum out to 10 years.

Question: Am I correct in assuming that a VSC Platinum warranty can be added during the CPO period and that it doesn’t need to be added before the factory warranty expires, which would result in warranty layering. Lack of response to the question from the dealer makes me think my assumption is correct.

Secondary question: Any pricing benefits to adding now vs in another two years? I’d think the pricing would be cheaper later since the effective coverage period would be less.
Happy to help - a VSC can be added at anytime, regardless of current CPO and/or factory coverage. Layering the plan would obviously overlap coverage, and factory/CPO warranty would take precedent, but it may be worth purchasing early as plan options disappear as time/mileage accrue. Basically, the older a vehicle gets, the less terms are available, and of course, pricing for the plans increase also. Totally up to the customer if he/she chooses to wait to purchase coverage, but most often, the buyer is in a better position when purchasing a VSC plan early while still covered under factory/CPO. Of course, depends exactly how much time remains.

In your example, the price of the VSC purchasing later would be much more expensive since the vehicle has aged, and no factory warranty remains.

Hope this helps clear it up for you.

Homepage: https://steingoldvolvocars.factoryprotect.com/

Get 100% Free Online Quote: https://factoryprotect.ratessys.com/ (Code: RENNLIST for $200.00 Member Discount)
Old 12-06-2023, 11:07 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenzyy

Isn't a brake shoe and brake pad the same thing?
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 12:46 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Isn't a brake shoe and brake pad the same thing?
Correct, sounds like the warranty company paid for everything but a clearly listed non-covered component...

Also I think we called it a brake shoe on drum brakes... haven't heard that term before in regards to a piston caliper set up.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Last edited by Highline-Autos.com; 12-06-2023 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2023, 02:13 PM
kaaayelll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteingoldVolvoCars
Happy to help - a VSC can be added at anytime, regardless of current CPO and/or factory coverage. Layering the plan would obviously overlap coverage, and factory/CPO warranty would take precedent, but it may be worth purchasing early as plan options disappear as time/mileage accrue. Basically, the older a vehicle gets, the less terms are available, and of course, pricing for the plans increase also. Totally up to the customer if he/she chooses to wait to purchase coverage, but most often, the buyer is in a better position when purchasing a VSC plan early while still covered under factory/CPO. Of course, depends exactly how much time remains.

In your example, the price of the VSC purchasing later would be much more expensive since the vehicle has aged, and no factory warranty remains.

Hope this helps clear it up for you.
Very helpful, thank you!
Old 12-06-2023, 02:20 PM
kaaayelll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Correct, sounds like the warranty company paid for everything but a clearly listed non-covered component...

Also I think we called it a brake shoe on drum brakes... haven't heard that term before in regards to a piston caliper set up.
In most cases (I’m pretty sure it’s the same with these electronic parking brakes), but parking brake assemblies typically use a drum setup with shoes that are in addition to the primary, rotor/caliper/pad braking system. Also, as I understand, the VSC doesn’t cover consumable items in general.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:11 PM
SteingoldVolvoCars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Fidelity Plan Adjustments and Price Increases Effective January 1st, 2024

Just sharing the newest Press Release from FactoryProtect.com regarding the yearly price adjustment from Fidelity - might be worth considering locking in before the New Year - read below:

FactoryProtect.com Announces Fidelity Plan Adjustments and Price Increases for Vehicle Protection Products Effective January 1st, 2024

https://steingoldvolvocars.factorypr...january-1-2024
Old 12-07-2023, 04:24 PM
GTZee
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by loungin
RS is usually excluded every time we’ve asked the dealer. If this has changed I’d love to know.
id like to know too. I’ve heard RS cars getting the fidelity platinum
Old 12-07-2023, 04:42 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTZee
id like to know too. I’ve heard RS cars getting the fidelity platinum
It is a no go, explicitly listed as an excluded vechile for Fidelity coverage. GT4 and GT4 RS are the only Porsche GT cars eligible for Fidelity coverage.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:55 PM
GTZee
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
It is a no go, explicitly listed as an excluded vechile for Fidelity coverage. GT4 and GT4 RS are the only Porsche GT cars eligible for Fidelity coverage.
can you send proof of this? My buddy just told me he got it on his RS recently through his dealer.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:25 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTZee
can you send proof of this? My buddy just told me he got it on his RS recently through his dealer.

Quick Reply: Best place/price for extended Porsche warranty?