Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place/price for extended Porsche warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 06:56 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 129 Posts

That's pretty much the business model for third-party warranty companies. I bought a Porsche Platinum plan with $250 deductible, which was more expensive, but I feel Porsche and the selling dealer would stand behind it. Expecting a dealership's service department to spend their time arguing a case on your behalf, with a third-party warranty that you didn't buy from them is a fantasy. I can tell you that my firsthand experience as someone who's worked at a franchised dealer for 20+ years, those deals rarely go smoothly for the customer, particularly in the event of a costly repair. Most will demand payment in full from the customer and leave it to them to chase down reimbursement from the warranty company. The only exception I'd personally make is if I couldn't get a manufacturer warranty, and then I'd only buy a warranty from the franchised dealer who serviced my car, if they had an extensive history with the warranty company.

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
When I bought my GT3RS, dealer included windshield, wheel, and tire protection from that company. I tried filing a claim for cracked windshield and curbed wheel. Safe Guard did everything they could to deny claim and ultimately refused coverage. So... good luck.

Last edited by josephvman; 10-26-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:57 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I am just renewing my McLaren extended warranty, which is annual, so perhaps I have misunderstood the term of the warranty- but you also mentioned a $35K amount - 5yrs * $7K per annum.It a risk reward analysis - I pay for the McLaren warranty as there are no BS caps for the covered items - engine, gearbox etc. (other than claims can't exceed value of car.
Yeah because you said it was better to put $7K of your own money into a savings account each year. So I used the example of 5 years.

These plans are not revolving annual fees. I don't know what you're talking about. Your one-time premium is good for 5 years/100,000 miles.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-26-2022 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:01 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Yeah because you said it was better to put $7K of your own money into a savings account each year. So I used the example of 5 years.

These plans are not revolving annual fees. I don't know what you're talking about. Your one-time premium is good for 5 years/100,000 miles.
I beg to differ the McLaren policy is an annual fee - so they are not all one-time premiums. If you think it makes sense then buy the policy, its your money.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:02 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I beg to differ the McLaren policy is an annual fee - so they are not all one-time premiums. If you think it makes sense then buy the policy, its your money.
Dude. What's your malfunction. We are talking about the specific policy here in this thread for Porsche being offered by Freedom, et al. Not McLaren. The policy being offered and discussed is 60 months/100,000 miles and offers coverage for two $20,000 claims. And it costs $7K and change. Hard stop. It's not an annual premium.

You said it makes no sense and it's better to put $7K into a savings account. Please enlighten us how that is better.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-26-2022 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:04 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Dude. What's your malfunction. We are talking about the specific policy here in this thread for Porsche being offered by Freedom, et al. Not McLaren.
OK, enjoy your car and warranty in good health. if it works for you brilliant!
Old 10-26-2022, 09:13 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

@tgibrit we have lots of Freedom Warranty McLaren customers as well, and the local McLaren dealership is also a customer of Highline Autos, the dealership knows they will get paid whenever a customer comes through the service department with a Freedom Warranty.

And like @FourT6and2 mentioned, it is just a one time payment of $7k.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 10-26-2022, 09:22 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
@tgibrit we have lots of Freedom Warranty McLaren customers as well, and the local McLaren dealership is also a customer of Highline Autos, the dealership knows they will get paid whenever a customer comes through the service department with a Freedom Warranty.
I had misunderstood the term of the policy, conflating the McLaren warranty I was just renewing with the discussions here, my mistake. for me personally I don't think the maths work but obviously a very different analysis when looking at 5yrs vs 1 yr. Just out of curiosity, does the McLaren policy have similar limits. Please feel free to PM as this off topic for this thread.
The following users liked this post:
FourT6and2 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 09:40 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@tgibrit PM Sent!
Old 10-27-2022, 12:23 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

And like @FourT6and2 mentioned, it is just a one time payment of $7k.

Can you check the Freedom warranty contract and see what they pay for an hourly labor rate? Now maybe different contracts say different things, but if you go to BBB you will see a lot of angry customers. BBB reviews for Freedom Warranty Now granted some maybe should have been turned down, but a common theme is the salesman stated I would be covered on this used car I bought the moment I drove off the lot to find out there are many ways to wiggle out of a claim saying it was "pre-existing". But outside of that, another common complaint is they pay a maximum of $85/hour. Not too many McLaren repair stations let alone Porsche that will accept that.

If you want to offer your goods here and you are a sponsor that's fine but you also need to answer tough questions. There's not a lot of McLaren owners, so when you say a lot have Freedom service contracts it rings a little funny.

I can say that the service manager at a local dealer told me Fidelity is easier to deal with than Porsche CPO for claims. I took my old car in under Fidelity and there was a slight difference between what the dealer wanted for labor and what Fidelity paid, but it was small and I told them all I was paying was my deductible and they were cool with that.

It's all sweetness and light with these warranty companies until you need them. Read the responses from Freedom on the BBB website and you will see what I mean. No doubt there are sour grapes with ANY company. But you almost never hear a Rennlist member complain about a Fidelity Platinum warranty. I can think of only one and in that story they were right to deny it.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:07 AM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

-"9. Posted Labor rate: We will pay an hourly labor rate of up to $275.00 per hour of the posted labor rate. Any amount over that rate is the responsibility of the Contract Holder."

-Everything is relative, so "a lot of McLaren customers" is a small number compared to Porsche customers sure, but for the number of 3rd party service contracts coming through our local store, I'm confident a considerable about are Freedom Warranty provided, it has been a topic of discussion before with both the local McLaren store and the Arizona Freedom territory manager.

-How long ago was this, Fidelity pays 100% of the dealership labor rate, a dealer should not be coming to customers saying Fidelity will only pay this... when we billed that... sounds shady and you were smart to not pay that amount on top of the deductible.

-We offer Fidelity as well and can see the claims filled, processed and paid, with both companies, and both are comparable. So much so, we are a provider of both Fidelity and Freedom Warranty, but have a Freedom Warranty policy on my personal vehicle.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:10 AM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

-"9. Posted Labor rate: We will pay an hourly labor rate of up to $275.00 per hour of the posted labor rate. Any amount over that rate is the responsibility of the Contract Holder."

-Everything is relative, so "a lot of McLaren customers" is a small number compared to Porsche customers sure, but for the number of 3rd party service contracts coming through our local store, I'm confident a considerable about are Freedom Warranty provided, it has been a topic of discussion before with both the local McLaren store and the Arizona Freedom territory manager.

-How long ago was this, Fidelity pays 100% of the dealership labor rate, a dealer should not be coming to customers saying Fidelity will only pay this... when we billed that... sounds shady and you were smart to not pay that amount on top of the deductible.

-We offer Fidelity as well and can see the claims filled, processed and paid, with both companies, and both are comparable. So much so, we are a provider of both Fidelity and Freedom Warranty, but have a Freedom Warranty policy on my personal vehicle.
Does PORSCHE NORTH AMERICA advertise their warranty programs like this?
Old 10-27-2022, 01:16 AM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by slipaway37
Does PORSCHE NORTH AMERICA advertise their warranty programs like this?
Simply answering questions posed by a Rennlist member sir.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:40 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

Now that is impressive. $275/hour is something.

I think the Porsche dealer was trying to squeeze a few bucks from me, and I declined to pay it. I told them I bought the warranty from a Porsche dealer, and you offer it here, so you should abide by its terms. The issue was Fidelity said it should take x number of hours and the dealer said more.

I have an RSS center muffler delete pipe I wanted to be installed on my GT3. The dealer quoted something crazy and said the bumper had to be removed. I think it was like four hours of labor. I had it installed for one hour labor yesterday at Stuttcar in Pasadena. The bumper did not need to be removed.

Highline-Autos.com (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:57 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Why not just post the full contract language from Fidelity and Freedom along with the rates and let the consumer decide for themselves.

ca·ve·at emp·tor
/ˌkavēˌät ˈem(p)ˌtôr/

The principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods and services before a purchase is made.
8250RPM (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 01:55 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TinyPP
Why not just post the full contract language from Fidelity and Freedom along with the rates and let the consumer decide for themselves.

ca·ve·at emp·tor
/ˌkavēˌät ˈem(p)ˌtôr/

The principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods and services before a purchase is made.
I provide pricing and full contracts to both providers upon further contact to either my email or phone number. I do not want to distract too much from the OP post when letting forum members know we can help with their extended warranty coverage. I give a brief explanation, then my contact information if they'd like to know more.

Quick Reply: Best place/price for extended Porsche warranty?