Porsche LEGO

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 04-16-2018, 10:08 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MWA1977
The real frustration is just getting into the game. 12 years of schooling, finally at the point where my childhood dream of owning a "Porsche" is now an absolute reality. Unfortunately I have a fetish for the GT3RS and don't want to settle on anything else. But I live 350 miles from the closest dealership. I have no prior history, nor family history for that matter, of having ever owned a Porsche. Getting into the game if you will is extremely difficult I have found, at least for the GT cars. I have no connections at Porsche dealership or friends with connections. Doing it on your own is near impossible. Yes, I can buy used, but I want that first time owner experience. I want it to be mine from the start and own it forever, giving it to my kids to drive and appreciate. 6 years ago I debated (....really argued) with my wife about buying a recently listed used 2007 Black w/orange accents GT3RS at Park Place Porsche that had under 3,000 miles for ~$110K. I still wanted a brand new one especially with the .1's soon to arrive during that time. But before I decided to do it, it was sold. Big mistake obviously LOL! Live and learn I guess. Paying above ADM seems ridiculous to me. Is it the new norm, I hope not. But if it is so be it. Supply and demand. Maybe something else will peak my interest. Maybe Porsche will fix the problem. Not gonna lose sleep over it. I'll just keep being me and hope things work out into my favor.
I don't think 12 years of schooling is enough.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:12 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Same thing will happen with the GT2RS as it did with the 911R, maybe even worse as cars start hitting the ground and the flippers come out of the wood work. The car will be trading around MSRP within 1-2 years because there will be a 992 GT2/RS that will be even better and faster. Really strange how Porsche handled the allocations for the GT2RS with announcing the car last year but yet only a few cars have hit the US (VIP allocations). Oh well, the want factor for me isn't that high with this car and I probably wouldn't buy it at MSRP. Why? Because I'd probably either get arrested or kill myself with all of the power. haha
Old 04-17-2018, 01:52 AM
cwcsvt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@usctrojanGT3 I can see the storm on the horizon brewing for these cars. I also agree this car has all the possibilities in the world to kill some folks, but then again, that's why I like it. I've owned a few cars that are lethal and at times I could feel the white knuckles clinching the wheel of them. That being said, the smile that a 700hp 911 will Bring to the face is hard to resist. I can't wait for mine! October won't come soon enough and genius on Porsche for delivering these cars the way they have. Talk about building anticipation and prices! Well done. It will be the most expensive car I've ever bought, but I am ready for it!!
Old 04-17-2018, 08:49 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

700hp cars are not particularly scary unless you explore their limits without the appropriate skill sets. A man needs to know his limitations.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:21 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
700hp cars are not particularly scary unless you explore their limits without the appropriate skill sets. A man needs to know his limitations.
Carrying nitroglycerine is not scary either, unless you drop it or you trip over something.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:19 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Carrying nitroglycerine is not scary either, unless you drop it or you trip over something.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:30 AM
cwcsvt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
If you never push the limits you will never find them.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:54 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by cwcsvt
If you never push the limits you will never find them.
I don't want to find the limit, not on regular streets, even in my base GT3. On a track different story but still scary for my extremely novice skill set. The car will bite and sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie, already had a couple brushes with scary experiences in the car lighting up the back tires/triggering PSM, especially if road is/was wet and cold. Can't imagine the 2RS....
Old 04-17-2018, 11:49 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Best place to find the limit of your car is in a big-*** parking lot, in the wet, with everything off. Small (30-40ft) radius donut type drifting exercise will straighten your perceptions real quick.

I was lucky enough to live at MSR cresson for a summer and every time it rained I drove my CGT around the parking lot (10+ acres) and learned to drift and slide the car at 30-45mph. Way safer than trying it anywhere else.

You learn the warning before exceeding limits at a slow speed, then can familiarize yourself with the procedures of bacon saving at higher speeds or in track settings.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:07 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Best place to find the limit of your car is in a big-*** parking lot, in the wet, with everything off. Small (30-40ft) radius donut type drifting exercise will straighten your perceptions real quick.

I was lucky enough to live at MSR cresson for a summer and every time it rained I drove my CGT around the parking lot (10+ acres) and learned to drift and slide the car at 30-45mph. Way safer than trying it anywhere else.

You learn the warning before exceeding limits at a slow speed, then can familiarize yourself with the procedures of bacon saving at higher speeds or in track settings.
Yeah until the police show up, ticket you, and impound your car.

I would only do this if I had written permission from the property owner.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:21 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

I used to do that in the parking lot before swim practice, albeit not in a CGT. It was a 1968 Dodge Charger and it was not in the wet, it was on ice. Great learning experience and fun as well. Proved life-saving on two different occasions where I found myself in a situation with suddenly reduced traction and was able to save my bacon. Once was on black ice on a highway in WY. Not as much fun as the parking lot!!
Old 04-17-2018, 02:01 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Yeah until the police show up, ticket you, and impound your car.

I would only do this if I had written permission from the property owner.
What is the basis for the ticket? The parking lot is not a public highway, so where is the jurisdiction for the LEO to write a speeding/reckless driving ticket? If the parking lot is empty, where is the threat to public safety? Unless the parking lot was closed/access blocked, where is the trespass?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:27 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
What is the basis for the ticket? The parking lot is not a public highway, so where is the jurisdiction for the LEO to write a speeding/reckless driving ticket? If the parking lot is empty, where is the threat to public safety? Unless the parking lot was closed/access blocked, where is the trespass?
I'd think you're on private property, that you do not own, nor do you have permission to be there doing donuts in your car. My experience with police has been: if the cop wants to give you a ticket, they'll give you a ticket. Head on over to your local Safeway parking lot after hours and have at it until a cop drives by and let's see what happens. We've all done it, sure. I've done it. My friends have done it. But that don't make it legal.

The guy above who suggested it owns a car dealership right? I bet he'd be just fine with people showing up to his car dealership to do donuts without his permission... /sarcasm.

EDIT: I just asked a cop. They're getting breakfast next door. She said here in CA, they'd cite for reckless driving, failure to maintain reasonable control, and/or trespassing. Depends on their mood and your attitude. If they want to give you a ticket, they will.

California Vehicle Code sections 23103 and 23104

Reckless Driving

(a) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

(b) A person who drives a vehicle in an offstreet parking facility, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12500, in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

(c) Persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, except as provided in Section 23104 or 23105.

Amended Sec. 19, Ch. 739, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
Amended Sec. 16, Ch. 682, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.

(c) A person may not drive a motor vehicle in or upon any offstreet parking facility, unless the person then holds a valid driver’s license of the appropriate class or certification to operate the vehicle. As used in this subdivision, “offstreet parking facility” means any offstreet facility held open for use by the public for parking vehicles and includes any publicly owned facilities for offstreet parking, and privately owned facilities for offstreet parking where no fee is charged for the privilege to park and which are held open for the common public use of retail customers.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 04-17-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:37 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Unless it is a school parking lot, I guess.

Quick Reply: New GT3/GT2RS Leads With/Without ADM