Lol! Just saw this:
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Lol! Just saw this:
Great driving and really good camera work! Just very good sensation for how fast you're driving! There is a thread about Chris Harris in this gt3 forum! Amazingly poor camera work compared to yours! I would like to see more of these camera angles and still keep a bit of his drifting! Just gets tiering to watch Harris drift around the same corner over and over again!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:23 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Orthojoe - really appreciate you taking the time and effort to document all this; I'm finding the thread very enjoyable and a good source of real world track-based information. Keep it coming ...
Old 01-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

non-OEM fluid won't void your warranty, but I don't see a need to change it right now.
On my friend's Audi, the dealer refused to warranty a faulty ABS valve unit because he was running aftermarket fluid. Oh, and on *my* Audi they refused to warranty the caliper piston boots due to me running aftermarket brake pads. So I guess I'm a bit paranoid now...

If you don't boil it at Laguna, then maybe OEM fluid with just a solid replacement schedule will work out just dandy.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Great driving and really good camera work! Just very good sensation for how fast you're driving! There is a thread about Chris Harris in this gt3 forum! Amazingly poor camera work compared to yours! I would like to see more of these camera angles and still keep a bit of his drifting! Just gets tiering to watch Harris drift around the same corner over and over again!
Thank you! As you can probably tell, I enjoy putting together these videos. I also find them very helpful to review and improve my driving.

Originally Posted by stronbl
Orthojoe - really appreciate you taking the time and effort to document all this; I'm finding the thread very enjoyable and a good source of real world track-based information. Keep it coming ...
Thanks, man! I'm glad others are enjoying this thread as much as me!

Originally Posted by Mech33
On my friend's Audi, the dealer refused to warranty a faulty ABS valve unit because he was running aftermarket fluid. Oh, and on *my* Audi they refused to warranty the caliper piston boots due to me running aftermarket brake pads. So I guess I'm a bit paranoid now...

If you don't boil it at Laguna, then maybe OEM fluid with just a solid replacement schedule will work out just dandy.
Yeah, I don't see a reason to change the fluid at this point. I can easily smoke the brakes on lesser powered cars with smaller brakes. The standard S brakes on a cayman or boxster I can smoke (it only took 2 laps at Laguna to smoke the cayman GTS brakes). However, despite the high speeds, the GT3 brakes never smoked. BTW, I would consider caliper piston boots a consumable item. If you're running hard on track, they will fall apart.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Sounds like brake cooling in this GT3 is good. I guess I won't change the fluid yet, but I plan to go with SRF when I do change it.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
Sounds like brake cooling in this GT3 is good. I guess I won't change the fluid yet, but I plan to go with SRF when I do change it.
Yeah, they are stout with plenty of ducting. I wouldn't bother changing the fluid until it's time, and then switch to your preferred fluid
Old 01-28-2015, 09:53 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

You stated you are getting the Cantrell bar. Was there a reason you chose them over GMG? I am getting ready to order one, but was not sure. Is it material/welds/fitment/finish?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fastmd
You stated you are getting the Cantrell bar. Was there a reason you chose them over GMG? I am getting ready to order one, but was not sure. Is it material/welds/fitment/finish? Thanks!
To me, the Cantrell bar looks more stout. Also, supposedly the bar is designed and made so it will actually line up to the mounting points without having to winch and pull. I'm still waiting to take delivery of it and will report back how the install goes
Old 01-28-2015, 10:23 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe, when do you plan to change/bleed your brake fluid? How many track day interval?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

To me, the Cantrell bar looks more stout.
+1

The Cantrell bar has cross-bracing in the vertical plane, which is the plane you want to strengthen in case the roll bar is asked to do its job in the event of a roll. The diagonal plane going back is there primarily to keep the vertical plane oriented vertically; it doesn't need to be especially strong, but no real downside to having cross-bracing in that plane, other than added weight.

The GMG bar has NO cross-bracing in the vertical plane. To my structural engineer's eye, that's a fail.

Compare with the configuration of Porsche's clubsport roll bar:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911...zoom/img01.jpg
Old 01-28-2015, 10:50 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

To me, the Cantrell bar looks more stout. Also, supposedly the bar is designed and made so it will actually line up to the mounting points without having to winch and pull. I'm still waiting to take delivery of it and will report back how the install goes
Originally Posted by Manifold
+1

The Cantrell bar has cross-bracing in the vertical plane, which is the plane you want to strengthen in case the roll bar is asked to do its job in the event of a roll. The diagonal plane going back is there primarily to keep the vertical plane oriented vertically; it doesn't need to be especially strong, but no real downside to having cross-bracing in that plane, other than added weight.

The GMG bar has NO cross-bracing in the vertical plane. To my structural engineer's eye, that's a fail.

Compare with the configuration of Porsche's clubsport roll bar:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911...zoom/img01.jpg
Thanks, I will call Cantrell.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tosilog
Joe, when do you plan to change/bleed your brake fluid? How many track day interval?
Good question. Haven't decided yet. If the fluid never boils and the pedal feel stays solid, probably once a season. I hate doing brake bleeds....
Old 01-29-2015, 12:54 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any other reason other than crash protection / safety for adding a roll cage? Required for racing? Txs.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:03 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Is there any other reason other than crash protection / safety for adding a roll cage? Required for racing? Txs.
1) protection and safety
2) the ability to run a harness

not required for HPDE, but recommended for a car as fast as this

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal