Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your 987 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Cayman292
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

I think we are all guilty of doing that. I think I’ll go out with mine today to watch the waves and eat ice cream. Have to take the long way to get there, lol.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:40 PM
lain09
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Tracked down squeaks and rattles in my 987.2 all week and I think *knock on wood* got 99% of them. This forum and Planet-9 has been a priceless trove of information.
  • white lithium grease on clutch pedal assembly for some faint squeak every time I depress the clutch.
  • tighten down some slightly loose speaker screws and put felt tape on loose clips inside the passenger door.
  • put foam liner around the passenger door card for some slight plastic flexing.
  • taped down the AC tube on the passenger vent that has come loose inside behind the glove box.
  • Loosened the rubber stoppers in the trunk hatch until it just about makes contact with the holes in the bottom of the trunk using the ink on stoppers and paper in the holes method.
Thankfully no notorious trunk thump to tear open the trunk hatch liner just yet or the seatbelt squeak where you have to carefully tighten the bolts but glad to know what to do when it does pop up.
Having virtually no rattles/squeaks makes the driving experience just so much better.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:10 AM
Justinfro
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you enlighten me on the seatbelt squeak area to tighten? Beautiful car btw.

Originally Posted by lain09
Tracked down squeaks and rattles in my 987.2 all week and I think *knock on wood* got 99% of them. This forum and Planet-9 has been a priceless trove of information.
  • white lithium grease on clutch pedal assembly for some faint squeak every time I depress the clutch.
  • tighten down some slightly loose speaker screws and put felt tape on loose clips inside the passenger door.
  • put foam liner around the passenger door card for some slight plastic flexing.
  • taped down the AC tube on the passenger vent that has come loose inside behind the glove box.
  • Loosened the rubber stoppers in the trunk hatch until it just about makes contact with the holes in the bottom of the trunk using the ink on stoppers and paper in the holes method.
Thankfully no notorious trunk thump to tear open the trunk hatch liner just yet or the "seatbelt squeak where you have to carefully tighten the bolts" but glad to know what to do when it does pop up.
Having virtually no rattles/squeaks makes the driving experience just so much better.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:17 PM
lain09
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinfro
Can you enlighten me on the seatbelt squeak area to tighten? Beautiful car btw.
There are 2 bolts inside the seat belt area in the B pillar. You need to tighten and maybe loctite(green). Be careful not to overtighten, it's super easy to do and it's a costly fix.
https://www.planet-9.com/threads/b-p...8/#post-520913
Old 03-01-2021, 11:46 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I FINALLY once and for all fixed the dreaded trunk rattle in my 2010 Cayman without tearing the entire hatch mechanism apart. Anyone that has had this issue knows it makes a car that seemingly is forged from one piece of granite sound like a 1.5 ton rattle can of spray paint. It was as simple as dialing in those 2 rubber stoppers on the hatch. Thankfully mine were nearly new and only required a few turns. FYI, you will need to turn them to the point you can barely close the rear hatch but IT WILL WORK. It feels and sounds like a new car again. Can’t wait for a long trip now. It wasn’t a deal breaker before but definitely a PITA.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:44 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBob
Finally got the paint to my satisfaction, ppf on the front, ceramic coated, looking nice and shiny.

Twinning!

Old 03-09-2021, 12:59 AM
Cam07
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Got around to detailing the wheel wells on my Spyder this weekend. They were pretty nasty beforehand. While no one will probably ever notice it but me, but it’s nice knowing they’re so clean. Both front sections of the well liners were also broken, so I replaced those with brand new parts. Used the opportunity to take all the liners out and clean behind. All this ahead of having the wheels refinished this week.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:27 AM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam07
Got around to detailing the wheel wells on my Spyder this weekend. They were pretty nasty beforehand. While no one will probably ever notice it but me, but it’s nice knowing they’re so clean. Both front sections of the well liners were also broken, so I replaced those with brand new parts. Used the opportunity to take all the liners out and clean behind. All this ahead of having the wheels refinished this week.

looks stunning!! I’ll be doing the same soon.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:11 PM
jvd
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New brake pads, brake discs, oil change and filters. First time during my ownership and I imagine(!) a slight improvement in throttle response, maybe because of the new air filter?

Old 03-09-2021, 05:20 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jvd
New brake pads, brake discs, oil change and filters. First time during my ownership and I imagine(!) a slight improvement in throttle response, maybe because of the new air filter?

Doing my brakes this weekend, pads and rotors all the way around...looks easy enough, right?
Old 03-10-2021, 01:05 PM
bfd
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What spoiler is that and was it difficult to install? Looks really nice.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:29 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Finally warm enough to wash mud and salt off the top and treat with RaggTopp again. Come on Spring!

16 years old... not too shabby.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:08 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Installed one of these to keep the winter / summer wheel tire set up and off the floor. Works pretty well...

My garage is not this clean, but you get the idea...
Old 03-13-2021, 09:00 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 130 Posts

Springtime prep!

Old 03-13-2021, 10:30 AM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks great.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your 987 today?