Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:58 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope some of these posts are not discouraging Carl. Carl, I would hope you hang in there and ignore some of these ideas of parting with your R&D. No one is stopping someone from developing their own kit on their own dime with their own time. Let's see how much cheaper it turns out to be in the end.
Carl, hang in there man. It will happen. You will move them, I promise. The economy is bad and as you can see.
Regards.
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 11-20-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:18 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

".... having someone with experience putting together a complete package of parts that will do a complex job correctly and reliably. And for a business-owner, selling incomplete kits is liable to lead to bad experiences for buyers, and to a loss of credibility...."

exactly,
Old 11-20-2009, 07:07 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I hope some of these posts are not discouraging Carl. Carl, I would hope you hang in there and ignore some of these ideas of parting with your R&D. No one is stopping someone from developing their own kit on their own dime with their own time. Let's see how much cheaper it turns out to be in the end.
Carl, hang in there man. It will happen. You will move them, I promise. The economy is bad and as you can see.
Regards.
Raj
Agreed. Support Carl as he has supported us.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And he has a lot more 968 stuff for sale besides supercharger kits, so if you haven't visited his site you should.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:28 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd much rather buy a kit that's complete and put together by an expert and gives me confidence. That way, I'd KNOW that it would work properly..and, for me anyway, it almost certainly would end up cheaper than me attempting it with just a set of plans. Also, I'd know who to call when I had questions (his time is worth money also). Carl is not only an enthusiast, but he is a master mechanic and has an extraordinary mind for bringing to fruition great ideas for performance that many would fail at. When you buy his kit, you're also paying for his many hours of expensive trial and error, his expert knowledge, and his intellectual knowledge. To try and get your hands on just his plans after his investment might be compared to attempting to "rape his mind." After all, this is also his livlihood, not a charity. He's one of the lucky ones who is attempting to combine his car passion with this vocation and still make a living. Not many achieve this goal. We need to encourage creative development of our cars rather than discourage it by putting him out of business.

Overall, I feel that his asking price is entirely fair. If I weren't so hung up on the torque of the 928, I'd probably have already scraped up the money and bought the kit...and I may yet. Summer would be a good time for an install for me as my garage isn't heated.

I have a doctor friend who hates that people stop him in stores and on the sidewalk in an attempt to get a "free diagnosis." Same thing happens to many professional people, Carl being no exception. He's a very generous man and spends many hours on Rennlist sharing information that helps water-cooled Pcar owners and doesn't bring in money but he still has mouths to feed and is dedicated to improving our cars, which takes $$. The charges are entirely warranted. The alternative is to invent your own system.

His work on 928 upgrades has made those cars better and they'll stay on the road longer as a result (and go faster). Same may be said for the 968 if he doesn't get pissed and lose interest in the model. There aren't a lot of 968s out there so he took a financial gamble by making this kit in the first place....but he loves this stuff and the cars and he's good at it. Besides, if these kits get a good reputation, our 968s may actually go up in value as an even better performance car bargain. Already, I feel, the 968 is a much better built car than the Boxster.

Just sayin'

H2
Wondering how a supercharged 968 would do in the Pike's Peak race?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:53 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't try to race up Pikes peak with out a supercharger. A N/A 968 would lose 40-50% HP at the top. We lose 20-30% in Colorado Springs and that is why I'm looking at the kit. We lose less HP with squeeze up here. I need to free up some money like starting to work. I also have a S2 with a 968 motor.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:17 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mopar bob
I wouldn't try to race up Pikes peak with out a supercharger. A N/A 968 would lose 40-50% HP at the top. We lose 20-30% in Colorado Springs and that is why I'm looking at the kit. We lose less HP with squeeze up here. I need to free up some money like starting to work. I also have a S2 with a 968 motor.
I assume everyone knows that Carl has raced Pikes Peak and done extremely well the past two years? There are some threads about it on the 928 Rennlist. It's a very challenging race that is not only made more difficult by the altitude change but also the various road surfaces you run on...plus, if you go over the side, you can roll a LONG way. His account of the race will raise the hair on the back of your head.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:38 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep my son was checking out his car when it was waiting for tech. It's a great race, been to it 16+ times. It's the only time that you can camp out on Pikes Peak. If you camp out you will not get much sleep. It's one big beer bash from top to bottom. I have only paid 2 years going up. I worked safety once press pass 5 years and went up as guest the other times with the local speed shop. I saw the Audis go up the first time in the 80's and the Porsche C4's in the 90's. It's a great time if you can go.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

"...Carl being no exception. He's a very generous man and spends many hours on Rennlist sharing information that helps water-cooled Pcar owners and doesn't bring in money but he still has mouths to feed and is dedicated to improving our cars..."

there's more than a few very good guys like Carl here at Rennlist... it would take a very large wall to name them all.

Porsche blew it when they excluded the 968 Turbo S from the Panamera ad... whatever.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=odurandina;7090285
Porsche blew it when they excluded the 968 Turbo S from the Panamera ad... whatever.[/QUOTE]

You can say that again. I about broke my eyeballs looking. At least, there should have been a good broadside shot of a 928...as the Panamera is (more or less) inspired by it.

It'll be out of my price range for a few years but, at some point, the Panamera will be a 2 door and probably twin turbo. That will be a mean machine.

In the meantime, I think a 968 with a supercharged 300 HP will be something to contend with in most venues.

H2
Old 11-23-2009, 05:50 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carl,

Will those injectors also work in an S2? I'm not 100% sure, but I think the last year model S2 (91) the injectors may have changed... don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:27 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been looking into this and it seems as though the 1991 S2 went to high impedance injectors, but lower flow rate (roughly 10%) than the 968 injectors. Bosch P/N is 0280155003. Carl's injectors should work for the 1991 S2.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like they would not be suitable for my 1990 S2 then. Would there be a suitable G3 replacement do you know?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:09 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found Jon at http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/ to be a great help. If you can locate a Bosch number on the original injectors he could all but certainly help.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:49 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sure people will buy the kit once

Christmas has past
the economy improves (it seems like it is)
it becomes spring/summer

Everyone thinks they can look at Carl's pics and make their own kit. The car has been on the roads since 1992 and here is the first supercharger that allows retention of the AC. I really doubt someone else could make a kit without copying Carl's idea, which would be shameful.

I think the kit would work on the S2 as far as performance and tune but the challenge would be the blower mounting. The 968 is open above the radiator, while the S2 has some structural members in the way.

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development