968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

This kit produced 292 HP on this car.

"300" is an arbitrary number plucked out of the air. For chrisake... it made 292.

Yes - with an intercooler, a smaller pulley (untested) and almost anything else it would probably make "300". It probably makes 300 now on somebodys car that does not have 111,000 miles on it like this one.

However, the DESIGN GOALS were: low boost (and no special head gaskets), use stock injectors, non-intercooled, keep the Air Conditioning, ease of installation and low cost.

I have achieved those design goals.

If you want a different kit that meets a different set of design goals, thats fine. But dont compare it to this kit.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:36 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I must say I am confused about some of the posts here.

Carl did exactly as he promised. The cost point of the kit is EXCELLENT, and when you calulate the $/hp, you will NEVER find a cheaper solution for RELIABLE daily-driven Porsche power. NEVER.

My hat is off to Carl, and as soon as I am more comfortable about my family's income status with our current economy, I WILL be buying this kit.

THANK YOU CARL!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:39 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

+1. Not sure where people are getting lost. Where can you find this much of power increase for this little? This kit is very fairly priced and it's a great entry point. If there is enough interest and plenty of sales, I am sure Carl would be happy to oblige by engineering a stage 2.
Lets keep things in prespective here.
Raj
Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Carl,

Can you remind me of the belt routing for the supercharger? Am asking this question for those of us who have already deleted the ac and moved the alternator down.

Also, can you measure from where the supercharger attaches to the engine to the front of the supercharger (not the inlet but the bottom front of the charger). I'm trying to determine if this setup would fit in my 924S frankencar.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I'm trying to determine if this setup would fit in my 924S frankencar.
After watching your videos - having a little more power would be absolutely awesome on your setup!

-Rogue
Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
After watching your videos - having a little more power would be absolutely awesome on your setup!

-Rogue
It would help me with some of those pesky Z06's
Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Carl, what injectors and pully size would you recommend if I installed an intercooler? ...and would the rising rate FPR handle it? I'd be running 94 octane exclusively. I understand this would be just an educated estimate on your part, not having done any testing yet.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Based on my installations with the same supercharger (Raptor R) on a Porsche 928 that uses the same LH-Jetronic fuel system, I'd say you could intercool it and not change anything else and pick up 15 HP.

We think we left about 1 pulley size on the table with this design. I am running a 2.30" pulley at present.
You could drop to a 2.25" pulley but thats about it or you will run into belt slippage. With a 2.25" pulley I would suggest 24lb or 30ln injectors.

The problem is the very small crank pulley on the 968, and that, to keep costs down, we are using it to drive the supercharger in this Stage 1 kit. If I was going racing, I would make a larger crank pulley and alternator pulley. Under-drive the alternator slightly, and remove the AC for this application. The larger crank pulley would allow me to use a larger pulley on the supercharger input and fight belt slippage as well as clocking the supercharger to higher RPM's. Win-win.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First.
Im sorry if i seemed a tad negative on this, "300bhp" figure.
Its just that "If" i was to order one of these kits. Its going to cost me more, as itl be getting shipped to the UK. What with all the extra taxes etc etc ....
And at present its in full A/C mode + my car doesnt have A/C...
Ill wait + see if it gets done without A/C.??? + a slight improvement on BHP figures....
Keep up the good work...
Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Moook
First.
Im sorry if i seemed a tad negative on this, "300bhp" figure.
Its just that "If" i was to order one of these kits. Its going to cost me more, as itl be getting shipped to the UK. What with all the extra taxes etc etc ....
And at present its in full A/C mode + my car doesnt have A/C...
Ill wait + see if it gets done without A/C.??? + a slight improvement on BHP figures....
Keep up the good work...
Either way....these dollars per horsepower are as low as I think you can find. Great value for the dollar, and you could remove the system relatively easily if you want to transfer it to a newer 968 you might buy.

H2
Old 06-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Jon Brown
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very excited about this supercharger system! Planning on purchasing one once everything is all setup! Even my wife is excited, although hesitant about the whiplash from the added hp

quick questions for Carl...

1. Could a group buy be arranged if a few of us were interested?
2. Could a smaller pulley be used to make 8-9 psi safely on our cars?
3. If a smaller pulley is used, is it easy to find a belt that fits appropriately?
4. Do you know offhand the pulley sizes/psi relationships for some of the pulley sizes ( ex: 2.30 pulley = 6psi)?
5. Could larger injectors be part of the kit?

Thanks a million for keeping us up all night dreaming about supercharging!
Jon
Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

^ see above, Carl just answered those questions that I asked earlier.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me join the chorus of praise, the achievement itself is remarkable, the short development time is even more impressive.

I can not think of a single alternative to extract more power from a 968. Done right a 3.0L turbo will run well over 10K$ and these projects are never entirely finished, it's a time consuming hassle that only the most determined will accept. The beauty of Carl's kit is the ease of installation. No need to pull the engine, no need to custom fabricate parts, no need to budget an extra 50% for unexpected extras, no need to wait for weeks/months while the car is at the mechanic. Any other method will be more expensive and will be an adventure not for the faint of heart.

292hp is a lot of power.

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carl,

Would you expect the S2 head to make similar numbers to the 968 with the variocam off?

In this case, the hp improvement for the S2 makes it an even more compelling investment...

Just hypothetical... I appreciate you are only doing a 968 kit at this stage.

Last edited by Mark944na86; 06-09-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Carl,

Would you expect the S2 head to make a similar numbers to the 968 with the variocam off?

In this case, the hp improvement for the S2 makes it an even more compelling investment...

Just hypothetical... I appreciate you are only doing a 968 kit at this stage.
The advantage with the S2 is that you can easily add a used 951 intercooler for <$200. The disadvantage with the S2 is the AFM which I understand will max out at 5psi - and a MAF is really expensive. As a reference, the SFR (dare I mention it here) kit (which is much more expensive) gives almost 50% more power using bigger injectors slightly more boost, intercooler and fuel controller.

Still - I would be happy paying $4k for 25% power increase regardless - you can always upgrade in the future.

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development