FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice progress Rob
Old 03-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,063 Posts

That FVD line is on my list while my trans is out for clutch/flywheel update.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 18T_BT
Do you mind listing the bolt size and length and pitch to replace the studs when you did the alternator?
Yes. I'm not in the garage today. So if I forget, remind me. That said...if you open the 993 parts catalog the size and length should be listed...but I'll grab that for you and take a measurement next time I'm out there...
Old 03-03-2016, 03:04 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Yes. I'm not in the garage today. So if I forget, remind me. That said...if you open the 993 parts catalog the size and length should be listed...but I'll grab that for you and take a measurement next time I'm out there...
PET has the "Pan-Head Screws" listed as M6x30 (900.119.026.02).

I might be in the minority, but one thing I like about having studs is the ability to place the shims and pulley halves on the studs, and then just thread on the nuts. I guess you could place everything on one bolt. Then thread the collection into the hub, but that seems more cumbersome?
Old 03-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I agree. But- but- I changed because of the likelihood of dropping the nuts down in the valley were into change a belt while on the road. Or God forbid the stud back itself out while changing on the road. That kind of thing. The bearing flange aligns everything, so to my mind it's just easier and safer this way.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Goughary
Race Car

M6x30 is correct btw
Old 03-04-2016, 07:05 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M6x30 is correct btw
Thank you!

As soon as the car is back from alignment, we year out the interior and get that done. New pedal box, adjustable rennline pedal, and the front and rear seats get replaced with the new ones...

And then I can really drive it and see how the godspeeds are relative to the same setup on bilsteins and eibachs in John's car...

Originally Posted by 18T_BT
Did this happen yet? Eagerly awaiting your review
Old 03-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Alignment isn't right. It's getting re-aligned in a few days...
Old 03-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Spotted Owl getting ready. New wheels arrived...

Name:  photo793.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  1,010.5 KBAttachment 1027693
Old 03-05-2016, 11:48 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Clean looking automobile, wheels should look great in daylight, share some pics when the "Owl has flown the Coup".
Old 03-06-2016, 01:00 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Absolutely
Old 03-06-2016, 01:31 PM
18T_BT
Racer

They look great!

Last edited by 18T_BT; 03-07-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:55 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Mr. G.,

I am finishing the install of new springs and struts and then off to alignment. I assume alignment shop cracks loose both sway bars and after setup and under load, torques appropriately.

Question: rear strut bottom bolt (147 ft lbs), does it matter to put full load before setting full torque or torque with no load at all?
Old 03-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Yes. Put a jack under the trailing arm and lift the suspension to the level that it will sit..And then torque.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:37 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Sorry all...it was pointed out to me that I have been doing a bunch of work...and not sharing it w all of you...

Truth be known...I've been spending as much time in Florida as possible for the past month. March came and my brain told me winter was over and I could be warm again. Mother Nature didn't quite agree and she told me to go south of I no longer wished to freeze in my garage whilst choking on propane fumes...

Name:  photo16.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  549.9 KB

So down I went to Florida...traded my little C4 for a huger C4-er...

Name:  photo384.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  1,008.9 KB

Did a quick ppi for another rennlister - cleanest 964 I've ever seen btw. I couldn't write that before he got title, cuz if I told you how good this car was, at that price, one of you would have stolen it from him. You couldn't build that car for 110k. 29k miles. Fresh motor rebuild by the best shop in Florida. Pss10. Everything that needed to be looked at when the motor was out was replaced- zero expense spared...seriously the previous owner bought the car with 28k miles from a guy in California, and because of a weep on his garage floor, through a crazy amount of money into making it perfect. And then sold it 1k miles later. The rebuild is just breaking in. Complete insanity. Anyway, our friend in MD now has the best original 964 C2 on rennlist. And he intends to drive it, which made me happy. But dammmmm....it only has 29k miles once. Unreal. Anyway. That was fun. I also had a great time w Danny at Stahl Motorsport where the official ppi was being done, going through the car w a fine toothed comb. He couldn't believe it either. Like it just came off the assembly line....clean.

Name:  photo543.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  979.4 KBName:  photo403.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  995.2 KB

Stahl is a very good shop in West Palm if anyone in FL needs a Rec. Brought him our Cayenne GTS a few weeks ago for some other work. Good guys and totally straight and reasonable.

On to the Spotted Owl. Had a bushing issue. So that had delayed us getting done. Elephant immediate resolved the issue and got me a new bushing and followed up to make sure all was ok. Great guys and great service. Further, they actually cared. Weird right? I would give them my business anyday. So many thanks to them...

So got that buttoned up the other day. Front suspension is done as of yesterday. I have a rear pad wear sensor on the front left caliper. Duh. So today I'll swap that for the correct front sensor. (Same but has a longer cable). And hopefully get this thing on the ground and take it out to ButziGear for ride height and alignment. Dbfd and ButziGear have worked out an arrangement for all of our cars to go there for alignment, and subsequent realignments and any changes therein...also great guys and great service. Very happy with how this is all progressing. I'm also working on putting together the funds for a set of BBS E87 and JRZ's that I'll spec through Butzi as well. Being able to buy through another enthusiast that knows his stuff and can take a close consultative approach is important here...so the wheels are spec'd just right, size, offsets, finish (Butzi does all the custom finish and build prior to sending you the wheels) and the JRZ obviously have so many options that unless you know going in exactly what you need, you gotta have a consultant in your corner...

In be meantime, back at the ranch, btw Florida trips, I took out the driver seat, firmed up the seat springs, changed out the oem seat bolts for harder bolts that won't round themselves out, and rebuilt the pedal box. Interestingly enough, I have come to find out that the new plastic bushings Porsche supplies for the 964 pedal box leave the brake pedal looser than the previous white ones. (They are now black). I wish there was a full bronze bushing kit for our pedal box. I'm not entirely happy yet with my 993 box, and unless I can fix the hanging clutch issue, I'm going to change back.

Name:  photo872.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  1,011.0 KBName:  photo252.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  1.09 MBName:  photo257.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  1.01 MB

So that's the update for now...it's sunny here in lovely Connecticut and should be a great day w the doors wide open in the garage. I've got a few new guys coming to play soon. And Darren's car is getting teardown madnessed in a couple weeks...mike's targa arrives tomorrow to be coddled, suss'd out, lists made for sorting, and then off to Butzi for new springs and alignment, and then back to really drive it and figure out exactly what it needs. This C2 Targa is for sale btw. It's not a low-price targa, cuz it's a good one, and getting better every day. Inquiries go to MikeP on rennlist. Just don't bother low-balling...cuz it's too nice a car for that. Anyway, Mike is dropping the targa for sorting. Justin's Owl is heading out for alignment, Darren's Aja is coming soon - we just chose the fabric for the seats....

Name:  photo549.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  1.15 MB

And then we have a couple new guys coming to do some work. Having a lot of fun over here in Fairfield at dbfd garage. Oh- and don't forget that this next Sunday is CnC Fairfield at the Starbucks off exit 21 on 95....

Name:  photo865.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  1.32 MB

Quick Reply: Teardown begins. Suspension madness...