Teardown begins. Suspension madness...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Spotted Owl flew away today.

Another happy customer - surprised by how good a 964 can be. Grinning from ear to ear as he got reacquainted with his rare bird.

Aja arrives maybe Tuesday, and the in a month or two, it'll finally be time for my own car. That will leave the summer open for lots of new business...who's next in line for major suspension sorting?
Probably me

Old 04-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts

Rock on...If I can get mike and or John to pop up Sunday, you can feel one done. Justin's is a c2, and he may be there, but the two cars are apples and oranges.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Today will be fun. Hope these guys take a lot of pics....
Old 04-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Goughary
Race Car

And they didn't take a lot of pics. These dirty bleed days are tough for me. I don't like touching my phone when I have brake fluid and serous grime on my hands. So I only have a couple pics...which I'm not entirely happy about.

Enso's car was here for a bit of correction...not really though. Cuz it was here really for a first go-round. Some basic maintenance, and a "getting to know you" type deal...the real correction hopefully is coming soon. Cuz this car would be unreal awesome after the full kerdoodle...but we have some tidying up to do prior. Pedal box rebuild, loose gear shift ***, all the little stuff that's in the way of base enjoyment...that are too common on a 25 yr old car. Thankfully everyone that comes, eventually has all this stuff fixed, cuz I can't be in these cars and not fix all the stuff...love them too much.

Attachment 1040050Attachment 1040048Attachment 1040049

So it's not enso's car...it's joes car. And now we are in for some fun. Cuz it's a good/great car, and it's going to become greater/awesomer...

Here's the list for the day:

Fixed his sticking pads by removing the calipers and taking out the pads and grinding them down to fit

Replaced bleeders as needed

Replaced vibration dampers as needed

Full 13 pt bleed

New motor mounts

Gpipe

Anti seize on all lugs

New oem lug nuts to replace aftermarket

Installed PDAS bulb in dash

Attempted to replace seats

New air filter

Fixed air box (temporarily until the new oem rear clips arrive

Installed clear corners

Fin day. And like I said...pics are sparse, though a lot was done. We got these:

Attachment 1040051Attachment 1040052Attachment 1040054Attachment 1040053Attachment 1040055Attachment 1040056Attachment 1040057

The seats didn't end up going in. We had no brackets for the seat belt buckles...so until that's here, they won't go in.

The calipers will end up being rebuilt at some point. If we do suspension madness to this car ( which he may do only because he likes the badge so much - so let's all encourage him ) I'll just rebuild the calipers while everything is off the car...

The badge:

Attachment 1040058

So that's it. Fun day. Always awesome to drive another 964. Every one is different. But they are all amazing creatures. We had four other dbfd cars here today. And two of them for driven by non-owners and both were visibly pleased when they came back. I'll leave the emotional response to the guys that did the driving. Cuz for me, when I drive these cars, I get too excited, and then I get back into my car and I get palpably sad, cuz mine, uncorrected, is that bad. Showroom fresh sucks. Corrected, awesome.

Stay tuned for more. Aja coming to begin teardown Tuesday.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:27 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I'm really disliking the garage talk app. Only works half the time.

Pics from today:
Attached Images         
Old 04-10-2016, 10:28 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove the spotted owl today during my customary role as lunch gofer. So smooth and stable. Didn't push it hard, the clutch take-up is very different from the lobster rocket's new clutch. But it clearly drives as good as it looks with it's new 18" BBS wheels.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:52 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

I should have come by today. Sorry I missed it, but I've been working on my power seat switches & have the driver's seat out. Next time.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:56 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Glue the ball bearings to the springs. It'll make switch assembly easy .
Old 04-10-2016, 11:05 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Yeah, I saw you had written that in another thread. Great idea.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:06 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Yeah those ***** are only there to work the rockers...
Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Drive report. Just did my spring bleed on my c4...this solved my hanging clutch pedal issue w my 993 pedal box for all of five minutes. I was excited. And then nada. Same problem.

So after six more liters through the system, there is no air. Everything feels good, except it doesn't rise all the way until the pressurizer turns on and repressurizes the system. So I'm thinking the issue is the return spring not being strong enough at the end of its travel. So back to the drawing board. I wonder if another spring has a higher spring rate. 964 turbo. 993 turbo, etc. maybe even the standard 964 spring...more to come.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:44 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 237 Posts

Stopped by to help Rob bleed his clutch and to do a 993 coil upgrade. As discussed elsewhere, the 993 dual coil is more reliable than the made-in-Brazil silver Bosch coils that are now available (RIP black coils), is slightly cheaper, and weighs about 2-3lbs less than the 964 setup.

That said, we weren't too excited by the existing DIY upgrade instructions, which involved reusing parts of the original bracket and using pieces from the original coil-to-distributor wire (this is necessary because the 993 coils have a different connector than the 964 coils).

To address this, I had Kingsbourne (www.beruparts.com) make me a couple sets of custom wires with 993-spec coil end connectors and 964-spec distributor end connectors to 964 length (21 inches).

Here is the coil pack with 2 sets of the cables:

BEFORE YOU START, DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY!

When removing the old coils, it's worth checking out how they're installed and taking a look at their condition. You can see that this coil looks pretty decent, and note that the black wire is connected to the larger terminal (15+) with the 10mm nut.

This coil, on the other hand, looks pretty awful - check out all that corrosion!
This can potentially cause all sorts of issues.

Note the OEM mounting solution in the background of this next picture. It's designed to hold two cylindrical coils, not one dual coil pack. For a neater solution, we're going to remove the whole thing.

Unplug all the connectors, then remove the 5mm allen bolts holding the coils to the car. Once everything is out, you can remove the 4 Phillips screws holding the ignition modules to the heatsink, and then remove the 2 small allen bolts holding the heatsink to the bracket.

Because the new coil pack is flat in the middle, we decided to fabricate a new bracket that is smaller and lighter.

This picture is from the test fitting - unfortunately the photograph of the finished and painted bracket with an m6 hole tapped in the middle didn't come out.

We then mounted the heatsink to the coil pack using a pair of 3/4" aluminum spacers and some 1.5" M4 bolts.

Then, with the completed bracket installed, the coil pack and ignition modules went back into the car. The 993 coils don't have the nice 15+ and -1 markings, so make sure that you put the black wires on the larger posts (the ones that take the 10mm nut). The entire assembly attaches with a single M6 bolt and the assembly cannot vibrate because the edge is flush to the fusebox.

At this point, it was simply a matter of attaching the new coil-to-distributor wires, putting the engine bay back together, and reconnecting the battery. The car fired up first try and definitely seemed to pull harder above 4000 rpm. After a quick drive to get everything up to temperature, we used the PDT-999 to check the Motronic for fault codes (there were none) and ran an idle adaptation.

Best of all, the modification is totally reversible - nothing permanently attached to the car has been changed, the original brackets are unaltered and could easily be replaced, and no wires were hacked up (although one coil end needs a bit of a cleanup). I can't see any reason to go back though - the final product runs better and looks totally factory!
Old 04-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bravo! Well done on the coil upgrade. I need to re-arrange my heatsink and modules to be mounted in that fashion. Right now mine are mounted atop the wiring harness like every other DIY thread shows. I'm not crazy about that and like this much better. Thanks for sharing.

Also, did you get the dust boots to sit on top of the new coils? Pretty cheap and good protection. The arrangement of the wires make it tough for the boot to sit perfectly, but I got mine to work ok.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:32 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my konis for 10 miles the other day. I just need to drive Justin's bilstein equipped SO for comparison. we both have the new HR sport springs.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:26 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Guess what showed up today.

Aja. Which is now renamed "rattlesnake" on account of all the f-ing noises I have to track down...

More to come.

Name:  photo46.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  1.46 MB

Quick Reply: Teardown begins. Suspension madness...