Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teardown begins. Suspension madness...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:40 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts

I didn't know jm4life was up near you...good stuff...we are definitely doing it. Just need to get more of these done so we can all be in...

I wanted to do the Targa Newfoundland this year by had no takers to get me a second or another team...maybe next. But that's coming soon. It's a bit expensive but doable wth some pockets.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:58 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I've got these really old tires. Hard like plastic. I found a use for them...drifting...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15...t-full_redband
Old 03-31-2016, 10:02 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Anyone need an awesome set of gold 18" wheels with huge r888 tires? The aren't inexpensive. If you are in need of something special, pm me. These would be best on a C2, but did live on a C4 for a bit...
Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Fun stuff

Name:  photo894.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  894.8 KBName:  photo26.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  1.02 MBName:  photo154.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  931.9 KB
Old 04-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Spotted Owl is back from ButziGear. Setup and aligned...

Name:  photo246.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  1.51 MB
Old 04-02-2016, 02:13 AM
BUTZI996TT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Rob, thanks for bringing another DBFD Motorsport corrected 964 my way for final set up. It's nice working on cars that are prepared and built with caution and care.

For those that are interested in some of the behind the scenes, here are a few shots of the Spotted Owl as I set her up.

Cheers!

David
#butzigear
Attached Images           
Old 04-02-2016, 08:17 AM
jmtama
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rob and Dave for bringing the old owl back to life. I can't wait to get reacquainted with her!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Goughary
Race Car

I can't post videos here. But I took a video of the seat switch on the owl yesterday - working! -

My head was literally. Grazing the roof prior. What a difference it is when one can sit properly in the car.

Yesterday's list-

Adjust clutch pedal helper. The clutch fork and bearing and maybe the plate etc are all old and will need help soon. As it is, the pedal engages very far out. So turn the helper screw in until the "hump" is in the right spot, and all better. Not perfect in this case, but way better.

Then out comes the seat. We had a seat belt warning light and the rear seat switch didn't work. So the seat was stuck full high. So I first checked all the fuses. Then pulled the driver seat. Took off the seat buckle. Opened that. Tighten it up and inspected the wiring. All good. Nice and tight now like new (they loosen up over time), and back together.
Next the seat switch. I have no pics really. But there are plenty of looooooong seat switch threads and how to's on rennlist. Seat switches are a bitch. Unless you learn yourself one trick. Glue the ***** to the springs. And then assemble at whatever angle you like, without worrying about those stupid frustrating ball bearings...another dumb design by our German friends...ever heard of a simple toggle switch? Metal perhaps? 100 years of unbreakable toggle switches and one of the most expensive (at the time) cars made gets seat switches and window switches that break themselves...ugh.
Anyway. Back at the farm. One of the ball bearings was missing. So clearly someone did something wrong in the past, because there is no way a ball bearing can just go missing. So oddly enough, since I restore vintage bicycles (hobby), the ***** are the same size as some headset bearings I have from an old 50's Italian headset. So I happened to have an extra around the house. I glued the ***** to the springs, and put it back together and done. Easy enough. I posted the video to www.facebook.com/dbfdmotorsport - pls excuse the background music. Quite fitting, but entirely by accident. If you are drinking coffee when you hear it, my apologies to your nose. Coffee through the nose is a terrible thing.

Then- we had a spoiler warning light, so on to the back. Took a look in there. Checked to see the micro switches were right. Tweaked those, threw some zip ties around some wiring that was bouncing around. Didn't really see anything terrible, but somehow fixed the issue. So that was good. Maybe it was the microswitches maybe the wiring was causing some kind of something...but it's fixed.

Then. I noticed some bumps in the headliner in the back. Turned out to be loose screws that had fallen out and they were just bouncing around up there. Unzipped and fished those out. Put them back and zipped that up. Took the third brakelight off. Wasn't on properly. So cleaned inspected and put that on right...

Then out came the Pdt999. Looked at the codes. Cleared all. Cleared the airbag codes. Took it for a drive. Got it hot. Did an adaptation. And then drove it hard.

This car is absolutely awesome. It's everything a C2 should be. Not enough power to overwhelm a reasonably good driver. Just enough to kill you if you aren't paying attention and like to do stupid things in 37 degree rain on summer tires. (Oops- I didn't crash it though) But. If you are looking for make your C2 right....follow this thread and follow the Facebook page...the rest is always there. It doesn't take much to sort out these cars into something very special. You just gotta bite the bullet and make some changes.

Next up will be a 993 weighted shift ****, Hargett fully adjustable alluminum pedal ( not made for the 964, but with a little tweaking, works fantastically well - I did a thread on that five years ago, so it's here somewhere), and then we drive the car, break it all in. The new springs need to settle, and everything needs to fins it's place. Double check torques in a few weeks to make sure everything is ok...realign and tweak it, and Justin will enter into the best summer of his life. He brought in an average and frankly, disappointing C2, and its leaving this week, an absolute blast to drive, completely sorted, (well there are non-performance things to still do), and entirely fun. Everything a 964 C2 should be.

Next up- Aja. Or is it the Marblehead Marauder? Or maybe "the mess from Marblehead? Idk yet. He says it's a good low miles car. It's seems like a good low miles car...but until it's all on my floor and spread out...I won't know. God I hope it's not a nightmare. I need to get to my car. Every Time I drive my car now, I'm bored. A non corrected C4 is a dead slug, in relative terms. These cars are THAT good.

Anyway. Aja, as it were, is getting the full treatment plus a new interior. So this will be fun. I bought the fabric a few weeks ago. Stay tuned.

That was long. You can tell I'm done w a car when I have an hour to thumb out a dissertation on rennlist, on my phone, on a Tuesday morning.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Our custom made 60 mm studs arrived today. Finally. Time to get crackin...

Name:  photo875.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  1,004.8 KBName:  photo747.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  971.1 KB
Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Were you referring to that clutch adjustment screw by the pedals? IIRC it should be like 6mm out no?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:18 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Yes , the shop manual says 6mm from the bottom of the head to the white plastic piece. But in this case, the pedal engages way far up like a VW Golf from the 80s...so I adjusted it so the hump in the clutch travel is higher to match the clutch engagement. When the master, slave and clutch get done, that will go back to the standard setup. But for now, no further scope creep...
Old 04-06-2016, 10:26 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Our custom made 60 mm studs arrived today. Finally. Time to get crackin...

Attachment 1038114Attachment 1038115
Nice!

Have yet to order mine. It's on the list though.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:23 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 277 Posts

The S.O. looks great Rob, especially with those new wheels. It's amazing what a proper alignment can do for these cars.
My new C2 feels very well planted and handling seem spot-on with the pss10 but I don't have the geometry specs from the previous owner. I'm just curious to know the alignment numbers. I've thought about taking it to my Indy for a check but why mess with it, right?
Old 04-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Goughary
Race Car

What I like on a street 964 with heavy sway bars is max caster, slight toe-in, and Max -1.5 camber. Even -1 works very well. With super sticky tires and a track, I might go more negative, but for the street and street tires that never get hot and grippy, no reason to go nuts on negative camber, and with the swaybars we are using, the car doesn't lean, so that also calls for not a lot of negative camber...

I agree man, right setup and sorted, and they are the best cars in the world. Though I really dig driving my dads 355. I'm kind of jealous that Frank has a 964 and a 355...I may have to follow...
Old 04-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Spotted Owl flew away today.

Another happy customer - surprised by how good a 964 can be. Grinning from ear to ear as he got reacquainted with his rare bird.

Aja arrives maybe Tuesday, and the in a month or two, it'll finally be time for my own car. That will leave the summer open for lots of new business...who's next in line for major suspension sorting?

Quick Reply: Teardown begins. Suspension madness...