8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1990 Porsche 911 C4 - https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...951138084.html
Old 08-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fuqua
nice find and a good looking combo. Seems very reasonable priced, too.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:13 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
nice find and a good looking combo. Seems very reasonable priced, too.
I think it depends which shop rebuilt the motor. Still $80K for an 80K mile C4 is not cheap.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by chsu74
I think it depends which shop rebuilt the motor. Still $80K for an 80K mile C4 is not cheap.
maybe I missed something but the price on the listing says $68,000, not $80,000
Old 08-07-2019, 11:51 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

You are right. $65K is a whole lotta cash for this car me thinks..
Old 08-07-2019, 11:53 AM
fuqua
8th Gear

Yeah I thought it looked nice too, was curious who did the motor. It is located in BC so it shows the price in Candian too, but yeah the ad says 68k USD.

And here it is on their website - http://www.corcars.com/vehicle-inven...e-911-c4-964-1
Old 08-10-2019, 03:06 AM
stevesc_us
Intermediate

Wow! This should be very interesting to watch given such a striking PTS color.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Porsch...%7C1000%7C2500
Old 08-10-2019, 08:02 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 230 Posts
Default side note

Originally Posted by TCallahan
Lets redo that previous post so its not such gibberish.... plus i keep getting error messages trying to edit it.

Anyway, can you guys help me with a few questions regarding this one?
My wife and i saw it a few weeks ago on craigslist but when she called it was already pending and going in for the pre-purchase inspection the following day.
We are still interested in the car but noticed a few things in the high resolution photos that we didn't see on the CL ad.
1 - Are the black rubber plugs in the top corners of the engine bay supposed to be painted?
2 - Is the paint different colors on the hood,fedner bumper areas? (my wife noticed this) Id guess its just the lighting but it does seem off.
3 - We have recently acquired a digital paint meter and it helped us with the 997 turbo purchase. Some sellers of 964's have said the metallic cars have more paint on them. Is this in fact true? With the turbos everything was 3.5-5.5 mils for a metallic car or non-metallic. What should a 964 be?

Next week we're taking a few days to explore some of the current offerings from dealers in the VA area up to NY, so Im sure seeing these cars in person will answer my questions but want to come in armed with as much knowledge as possible. I will have access to my friend who knows these cars fairly well now since I've sent him to look at so many in the south east. Mechanically I know what to look out for but paint wise its a bit confusing since shoddy paintwork is often passed off as "they were hand painted cars" or "port damage", well that doest explain the over spray on with wiring loom or sanding lines in the body filler. I don't know much but I know what isn't right.
Thank you in advance!

Side note: I don't know whats up with these forums and how they have it programmed. I constantly have a note on the top of my browser saying "This webpage is using significant energy. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of you Mac". Editing a post, making a original post, just about anything done here is super buggy/sloppy. I never have this issue on any other website or forum. granted we're using VPN but still never have these issues elsewhere. /rant
I think it's a bug and do not respond to any ads that says "clean up your MAC now" unless you already did. I get the same crap and really annoying.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by fuqua
I suspect this car was in a bad accident and has been pieced back together. Here is another case of a 1990 having the later mid 91 on rear lid latch. I would suspect based on how the welds in the engine compartment look that the entire rear section was removed and a new section grafted on. Check it out closely.

Originally Posted by stevesc_us

This is a rather rare color but was an optional color in 1992 and not PTS being sold by Top Gear. I can swing by and take a look since they are in my backyard if I can set up a time with them if needed.

Originally Posted by TCallahan
Lets redo that previous post so its not such gibberish.... plus i keep getting error messages trying to edit it.

Anyway, can you guys help me with a few questions regarding this one?
My wife and i saw it a few weeks ago on craigslist but when she called it was already pending and going in for the pre-purchase inspection the following day.
We are still interested in the car but noticed a few things in the high resolution photos that we didn't see on the CL ad.
1 - Are the black rubber plugs in the top corners of the engine bay supposed to be painted? No
2 - Is the paint different colors on the hood,fedner bumper areas? (my wife noticed this) Id guess its just the lighting but it does seem off. Hard to say but appears to be.
3 - We have recently acquired a digital paint meter and it helped us with the 997 turbo purchase. Some sellers of 964's have said the metallic cars have more paint on them. Is this in fact true? With the turbos everything was 3.5-5.5 mils for a metallic car or non-metallic. What should a 964 be? All cars from this era were painted with the last of what Porsche called the 26 stage paint process. So thicknesses vary. The first 1-1.5mils are primer usually white. After that solid cars are single stage and will measure up to 6 mils. Most cars have been buffed so numbers are usually lower. Metallic colors will also measure up to 6 mils however the color coat is thin with a lot of clear. If you are seeing close to 3 mils expect that the clear is almost gone. You can polish down to 2mils on single stage without issues but the paint is thin. Occasionally I have seen cars measure over 6 mils from the factory but it is usually not an entire panel. I have seen numbers as high as 10 on factory paint but in the size of a quarter and then tapper off to 7 or 6 in the surrounding areas. The meter only tells a portion of the story. I have seen cars with paintwork measure 4.5 mils or less. Port damage does occur but the resulting rework is usually an insignificant amount and is of a standard equal to the factory. Hard to say but if there are any tape lines or overspray it wasn't done by the factory or at the ports.

Next week we're taking a few days to explore some of the current offerings from dealers in the VA area up to NY, so Im sure seeing these cars in person will answer my questions but want to come in armed with as much knowledge as possible. I will have access to my friend who knows these cars fairly well now since I've sent him to look at so many in the south east. Mechanically I know what to look out for but paint wise its a bit confusing since shoddy paintwork is often passed off as "they were hand painted cars" or "port damage", well that doest explain the over spray on with wiring loom or sanding lines in the body filler. I don't know much but I know what isn't right.
Thank you in advance!
GL shopping is fun but can be frustrating. Very few of these cars are as represented Finding a truly clean example is tougher than most realize. One out of every 40 or so I look at are nice and usually are asking top dollar. I have to say the rear welds at the lower sides of the engine compartment don't look factory to me so possible it has had panels replaced leading to the sunroof drain plugs being painted.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesc_us

I tried to buy this one from the original importing dealer but it was sold almost immediately. Curious what they want for it.

Being a ROW car means that anything more than mid high 60’s won’t be worth it to anyone in CA as we will need to add another $10k immediately to register it here.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:29 PM
forty2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I suspect this car was in a bad accident and has been pieced back together. Here is another case of a 1990 having the later mid 91 on rear lid latch. I would suspect based on how the welds in the engine compartment look that the entire rear section was removed and a new section grafted on. Check it out closely.
This car is local-ish to me, at least in terms of Craigslist, it's been for sale for quite a long time and gets relisted often.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:04 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Porsche of St. Paul (MN) has just listed a 1992 964 Carrara 2 with 45k, single owner at $73k:

https://stpaul.porschedealer.com/inv...ab2967ns420349

Black on tan.

Good luck to those searching!
Old 08-23-2019, 04:11 PM
SHRMN8TR
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.chequeredflag.com/1994-P...9/Details.aspx

First time posting, but really interested in joining the air cooled/964 crew. Found that in the LA area. '94 964 C2 Coupe. Midnight/Tan manual. If anyone is in the LA area and can check it out? Would appreciate some extra eyes on it. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2019, 06:47 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by SHRMN8TR

First time posting, but really interested in joining the air cooled/964 crew. Found that in the LA area. '94 964 C2 Coupe. Midnight/Tan manual. If anyone is in the LA area and can check it out? Would appreciate some extra eyes on it. Thanks!
it’s not far from me and I’ve been there many times...also know the owner of CF, Niel.
shoot me a private message and I’ll give you my phone number so we can talk. I’m usually near there on sundays so I could take a look at it this Sunday.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SHRMN8TR

For some reason this has been listed for sale on cargurus for 519 days. Ad says automatic there, but clearly it looks like a stick from the pictures. I'd want to look at this one carefully considering it has been for sale for such a long time.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale