Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:31 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,292 Posts

I don't know how I missed this I was at the auction but must have been not paying attention. Other than the low miles and lack of originality why did this targa sell for so much? Just like the RSA at RM. I am assuming the seats were redone I don't have any info on these as being an option. There were cloth seat options but not like these.

​​​​​​https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/19...rrera-4-targa/
Old 03-28-2018, 11:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I don't know how I missed this I was at the auction but must have been not paying attention. Other than the low miles and lack of originality why did this targa sell for so much? Just like the RSA at RM. I am assuming the seats were redone I don't have any info on these as being an option. There were cloth seat options but not like these.

​​​​​​https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/19...rrera-4-targa/
Listing says the seats were done at the dealer along with a few other changes which to me says it’s not original. The limited production and the ridiculously low miles can be the only real reasons for the price.

Not too many Targa’s on the market at the moment.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Listing says the seats were done at the dealer along with a few other changes which to me says it’s not original. The limited production and the ridiculously low miles can be the only real reasons for the price.

Not too many Targa’s on the market at the moment.
This car is riddled with ??. Dual exhaust, Tech art front fogs & front splitter, drooping smile, modified interior, Non factory painted wheels, aftermarket suspension, Color matched lower rockers (red came painted black) built in radar and who knows what else. I have seen cars like this claiming low miles with heavy mods and 90% of the time the owner disconnected the odo and drove it far more miles than were stated. In fact if you look at the speedo it appears to have been removed at one point they marred the rubber gasket and it looks to be placed in slightly crooked.

I understand the rarity and being one of the last US spec Targas one of only 77 instead of 137 since they used Adrian's numbers but paying this money for a non original car just makes me ?? peoples motivation. If it wasn't so heavily modified i can understand. I have to question why someone would dump so much to modify a car like this only to not drive it. Most low mile cars were purchased and just allowed to sit. I have seen other cars have modified interiors like this have it hurt the value on nearly as low mile cars. If this car were PTS or some rare color maybe but even if this were a coupe I would say someone over paid.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
This car is riddled with ??. Dual exhaust, Tech art front fogs & front splitter, drooping smile, modified interior, Non factory painted wheels, aftermarket suspension, Color matched lower rockers (red came painted black) built in radar and who knows what else. I have seen cars like this claiming low miles with heavy mods and 90% of the time the owner disconnected the odo and drove it far more miles than were stated. In fact if you look at the speedo it appears to have been removed at one point they marred the rubber gasket and it looks to be placed in slightly crooked.

I understand the rarity and being one of the last US spec Targas one of only 77 instead of 137 since they used Adrian's numbers but paying this money for a non original car just makes me ?? peoples motivation. If it wasn't so heavily modified i can understand. I have to question why someone would dump so much to modify a car like this only to not drive it. Most low mile cars were purchased and just allowed to sit. I have seen other cars have modified interiors like this have it hurt the value on nearly as low mile cars. If this car were PTS or some rare color maybe but even if this were a coupe I would say someone over paid.
I agree 100% regarding the modifications, some of them are mentioned in the add but the rest are not and it wouldn’t make sense for a “collector” to make these changes if the intention was to let it sit. It takes two bidders to get the price that high so clearly there’s another person who wanted this car just as bad. The car’s condition does appear to be very good in the pictures although it’s possible it was restored and without seeing it who really knows. I would love to watch the video playback of the bidding on this one to see how it went.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,726 Likes on 2,345 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
Maybe change of wife?
i wouldn't make that joke, b/c it may be real.

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
I've searched around pretty hard and you can't find many examples of a 1993 sub 50k mile car, OEM paint, white on black, and a very well maintained. I agree that getting in at $65k would be a good buy for me but once he does his market research, I'm guessing he'll settle on $75-80k. I could see it easily moving on Rennlist at that price as you won't find another example like this one. I wasn't in the market for a 964 but this is the exact car I was looking to buy and cosmetically/mechanically its perfect. Ideally I'd want to update the suspension and put Cup 1's on it.
brian, b4 u post, u know who to call ;-)
and i dont mess around
Old 04-01-2018, 12:19 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMLGND
Good Luck on snagging that KOTYKB!!

Hey wait....didn't you sell your gorgeous Slate Coupe last year due to the wife not liking the 64?? Change of heart i see?
I ended up calling off the engagement last summer... to new beginnings! I'm moving from San Francisco to Venice - Los Angeles and need a car to hold me over til I buy a 718 GT4. I've been keeping my eye out for a fun weekend Porsche that I won't lose my *** on, why not a unicorn 964?! If I do land this one, it would be hard to sell it since its not easily replaceable.

Mooty - If I land this 964, you'll be the first I call when I need to sell it. Lets pray the 718 GT4 is N/A!
Old 04-01-2018, 12:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,726 Likes on 2,345 Posts

^ hum.... u want a GT4 RS. at msrp... ;-)
Old 04-01-2018, 12:28 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

My deposits for 2 GT4's (#1 at one dealer and #7 at the other) and Spyder (#1) are all in writing to be sold to me at MSRP! The dealers are NOT in California obviously, I'm going to hold off on one of GT4 reservations in hopes for a GT4RS.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:04 PM
fuqua
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much is it really worth? Is it worth the 89K they are asking?

1990 Porsche 911 964 Carrera 2 Coupe (ROW)

http://www.originalrare.com/stocklis...rtfolioCats=66

and on ebay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Porsche-911-964-Carrera-2/392007325380?hash=item5b457516c4:g:rOoAAOSwTCdaCNtW&vxp=mtr
Old 04-01-2018, 11:07 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

If the car is sorted with good maintenance history it should sell for close to asking. Find another one. No SR white looks perfect.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:32 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by fuqua

and on ebay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Porsch...daCNtW&vxp=mtr
they had been on ebay sitting for a while at $98k, if lowered then seller might be willing to negotiate
Old 04-01-2018, 11:55 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12

they had been on ebay sitting for a while at $98k, if lowered then seller might be willing to negotiate
I was gonna say the same, I thought I remembered seeing that same car listed for close to $100k. The comparison in the description to an RS is laughable.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:44 AM
afshinbahrami
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuqua

and on ebay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Porsch...daCNtW&vxp=mtr
the seller had 3 of them. All 3 were listed for $98k. He imported all 3 from Japan. He claims the first 2 were sold and will be used as Singer donors by "wealthy" collectors.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:31 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

This was Eric's response when I reached out to him. I followed up with a lot of questions about paint metering data, maintenance history, what the 30k service consisted of, compression/leak down etc.
_______
Both cars asking $89,000.

Please be advised that these ROW (Rest of World) Porsches can not be registered in California without going thru CARB Certification at gnkauto.com.

California CARB certification cost is about $7,000 and takes 8-12 weeks.

Both cars are currently registered and titled in Montana.

Grand Prix White 964 (32,500 Miles) - Car paint has been restored before at some point during its life in Japan to match the RS style rear bumper the RS mirrors.

Satin Black Metallic 964 (35,100 Miles) - All original paint except for the Left Front Fender.

Both cars went thru the 30,000 Miles major service when they landed here last year.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:25 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i would prefer one of these units over an RS, as a driver.
driving a real RS around town would not be my idea of fun.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale