Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aussie 964C2 Maintenance Diary (pic heavy!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Babalouie
Can the rack be reconditioned?

I had one of my other (non-P) cars spring a leak on the rack, and it was $300 to get it resealed and rebuilt. Not too bad, and 6yrs later it's still fine.
A re-conditioned rack is being fitted to mine this week. The old one goes them to be re-conditioned as part of the deal.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a few days' driving, I thought I'd put her up on stands for a look-see.

The oily spot that I cleaned is still spic n'span...

But look from another angle, and it does look like there's "something" there leaking inside the power steering drive belt housing. I figure if it was runny like power steering fluid, it would have dribbled out by now, but the fact that it's sorta-contained suggests that it's thick engine oil instead.

The leak's obviously not a gusher though, so I think I can maintain this with regular cleaning until I work out how to do the cam seal without removing the motor (or my sanity)
Old 10-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

With the Porsche Club concours only a few weeks away, it's time to unleash some OCD.

Last year, the 964 was at Autohaus Hamilton getting a new clutch until a couple of days before the event, so I didn't really have the chance to go nuts on detailing the car, besides a good detail and polish. And so we come to the wheel arches, which probably haven't been cleaned since the car was new.

For the task at hand, we have my trusty jet washer, and a collection of brushes and sponges to get into the nooks and crannies.

After a good squirt with the jetwash, and no small amount of scrubbing, it's looking a lot better!

The plastic wheelarch liners got a good scrub, then a lot of spritzing with Meguiars Vinyl Shine

The fronts were pretty grubby too...

But cleaned up pretty good. At the time, I decided against rubbing off those brown patches of anti rust wax, but of course now it's bugging me :lol:

And yes, this year I won't forget to clean the inside of the wheels too Last year, I rolled into position at the concours, and then noticed that everyone else's wheels were perfectly clean inside and out...

And that's the underside done...next weekend I'll do the paintwork, and then the following Saturday before the event I'll pop the car up on stands again and give everything a light once over.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:23 AM
tokoro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pic baba!!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

WD40 does a real good job of easing the removal of cosmoline (brown anti-rust wax).
Old 10-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Really? I'll have to give that a try, thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 04:00 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Yea, I didn't believe it either till I tried it. Spray some on there, let it soak a bit, then wipe it off w/- rag. Repeat till clean.

I read it on the 993 subforum, some guy building an RS rep was OCDing on all the cosmoline on the car.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Good stuff as always Baba. !
Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Yea, I didn't believe it either till I tried it. Spray some on there, let it soak a bit, then wipe it off w/- rag. Repeat till clean.

I read it on the 993 subforum, some guy building an RS rep was OCDing on all the cosmoline on the car.
Is there any downside to removing the Cosmoline? I guess it was put there for a purpose other than to attract road grime and hang on tight to it...

Z
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZG862
Is there any downside to removing the Cosmoline? I guess it was put there for a purpose other than to attract road grime and hang on tight to it...

Z
I guess if the car was in a salty, wintry climate, then every last patch of cosmoline is probably doing some good...but I would have thought that the cosmoline in the wheelarch area that I cleaned is probably mostly overspray, and where you want the cosmoline is on the underside.

Then again, I do live in Sydney...
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 AM
ZG862
Racer

Ah OK - thanks Babalouie. Makes me think that here in sunny (not!) UK, I ought to find something to replace the glue-like stuff I've been working so hard to remove...

I thought of perhaps clear VHT laquering things like the trailing link arms - on the theory that salt etc would wash off it more readily. Seems to me that otherwise every weekend is an OCD weekend!!

Z
Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

I would have thought that if I lived in Blighty, I'd be cleaning off the cosmoline from the areas which you could see, but then at the same time, bombing absolutely everything else out of sight with something like WaxOyl.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
ZG862
Racer

Thanks for the advice. Cheaper than moving to Sydney.

Incidentally, I found that those S/S covers over the cat come up to a mirror-like shine with a wire wheel. Don't think they'll stay that way but will look good for the 1st trip. The problem with the "just what you can see" approach of course is that after a while you really like looking at that flat 6 and that Cosmoline hides where the next little oil leak is starting.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vandit
WD40 does a real good job of easing the removal of cosmoline (brown anti-rust wax).
use tarminator
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

one of the things you want to do is clean your wheels very good and same with your brake calipers, then go out and get some Opticoat 2 and let that seal them. they will be much easier to clean in the future...probably could do the same in the wheel wells.

Quick Reply: Aussie 964C2 Maintenance Diary (pic heavy!)