Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aussie 964C2 Maintenance Diary (pic heavy!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

This car just keeps getting better.

I don't run any carpet in the front, because racecar.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kevin.. good stuff as always! Where did you source that frunk strut? I want to go with a carbon hood at some point and wanted exactly that..
Old 05-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Hey Kevin.. good stuff as always! Where did you source that frunk strut? I want to go with a carbon hood at some point and wanted exactly that..
Carnewal (Europe) sells it for 29 EUR.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93121.htm

Stateside I got mine from TRE.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

It came attached to the RS bonnet already
Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

£20.00 in the UK

http://www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/ar...6aid%3D5650%26

You will need to buy the retaining bolt seperately though
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 PM
NCB964
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cars looking great Kevin. See you out at Rennsport!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
£20.00 in the UK

http://www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/ar...6aid%3D5650%26

You will need to buy the retaining bolt seperately though
Good info, I thought making one ...but for this price I would not bother
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

So, at the moment the underbonnet looks like this...and it's not terribly practical to have to unpeel the side of the carpet to sort out the hood prop.

Then I went to visit my favourite classic car trim shop for ideas, but I was surprised to discover that it had closed down...I had an idea about getting a bit of carpet trimmed to look like the Carrera RS carpet, but the more I looked at it, the less I liked it.

But now that I am without a trimmer anyway, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a bash at making something up myself.

I start out with this stuff, which I bought from a DIY electronics store, they sell speaker kits that you can make at home, and this stuff was called "Speaker Carpet". It's basically the same fuzzy material that covers the parcel shelf on a hatchback. Twenty bucks for about twice the material I needed.

Then I cut up some 5mm mdf I got at the hardware store.

Stick it all together with aerosol contact glue (those extra rectangular patches are to reinforce the "hinge" where the board flips up)

Tuck in all the edges nice and neat...

And there you go! There are already Velcro tabs on that black plastic trim piece at the front, so the front of the new "carpet" sticks there by itself.

For better or worse, this is how the underbonnet is going to look like from now on...I'm thinking it didn't turn out too bad for a lazy evening's work

I was thinking of extending the carpet to cover up this little hidey-hole next to the fuel tank, but I didn't like how the RS carpet had that snake-like bit of extra material to do this. So I figure it would look nice if I could make up an aluminium flap or door to cover this up. Something in black, with dimple die holes in it...
Old 05-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default looks to good....

Babalouie, what a really nice piece of work. Looks good AND functional. You are a kin among men when it comes to DIY! Great job.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:25 PM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Babalouie - that looks fantastic!
(Though I have to say I'm a little surprised that you didn't use carbon-kevlar instead of MDF...)

Z
Old 05-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks great mate - very clean and I like it far more than any of the other options!

Just curious why you haven't done the RS water bottle? Its saves weight and looks great in a RS stripped out front funk like you have. The factory kit for the 993 is quite cheap the only downside is there is only place for one pump to drive the washers for the window screen but a guy like you could easily work out how to wire up the second motor so it also functioned for the headlight washers.....

There is a spanish guy on the 993 board who is making exact reproductions of the under hoot sticker too. He sent me a few I keep as spares and its a brilliant reproduction. Might be worth looking over there and talking to him about making one for your new hood....
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Oh yes, the RS wiper fluid bottle is already on the list

I hadn't thought about the headlight squirters, but I think it wouldn't be too hard to work around
Old 05-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bab. I have also bought the RS wiper bottle kit. Its actually quite cheap relative to other parts. Luckily with RHD cars the factory system is on the same side of the sheet metal as where the RS bottle will sit. I heard it is quite possible to work the level float into the system so you dont have a constant light in the dash showing the wiper bottle empty like on the original when you get low. I also believe it would be quite possible to harness the second pump for the headlight squirters up against the bottle to enable full functionality like the factory designed but Im not sure how to do it so Im keen to observe how you approach the challenge. Now your frunk is looking very RSesque with alloy bonnet and all it would make the perfect finishing touch and also a good weight saving against the full factory system (5-6kg including the tank I believe)...
Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I think the RS bottle is under a hundred bucks? It's been a mod I've wanted to get for years, ironically I managed to score the bonnet first
Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

I reckon you could probably bridge the connections on the float to eliminate the low-fluid light tho...

Quick Reply: Aussie 964C2 Maintenance Diary (pic heavy!)