Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aussie 964C2 Maintenance Diary (pic heavy!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats to Toyota, and glad to see any manufacturer producing a true "drivers" car, but happy to remind myself that the 964 is 20 year old technology! Makes Kevin's lap times all the more impressive when looking at his position in the list!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before the trackday on the long weekend, I decided to treat the car to an oil change. Now there's plenty of good DIY threads on how to do this, so I won't go into much detail on the actual oil change.

But while I was under the car, I did notice a somewhat serious looking oil leak, which was soaking the heat exchanger on the driver's side of the engine.

At first I thought it might be a weeping valve cover, but...nah doesn't seem like it.

But at the gearbox end of the motor, I see that it's all a little Exxon-Valdez around the power steering pump belt housing.

Now, if you look at a 964 engine bay, you won't actually see any power steering pump. The alternator lives inside the fan, and the only other accessory belt-drive is the a/c compressor on the right.

The power steering pump is actually a tiny little thing, and is driven off the gearbox end of the cam by a toothed belt. You can see it more clearly here with the airbox removed.

So the oil leak could be from one of two possibilities: it could be the power steering pump itself puking fluid, or it could be from the camseal on the belt drive sprocket leaking engine oil....but the leak looks more brown and thick, than red and runny, so at this stage I am suspecting that it's the cam seal. Which is probably slightly easier to access than the pump itself, but it doesn't look like much fun.

And I also note that the rubber hoses on the dry sump tank look like they could do with replacing, too.

How excellent Guess I'll be ordering the various cam seals, but if the pump seals are inexpensive, I'll get those too just in case.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

My car suffers from a similar mystery leak in the PS pump area. I initially replaced the motor oil hose down there thinking that was the culprit. It wasn't.

The oil/fluid somehow seeps out the corner of the engine tins and down onto the oil tube/hose area.

I've cleaned it from the top and don't see the leak, yet somehow oil/fluid shows up in that corner.

You can see more of my efforts in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=699689

I haven't followed up to see if the issues is still there after cleaning up all areas and tightening some of the PS hoses.

Regarding the shorty oil hoses around the tank and thermostat, I recently replaced all of these. I am going to make a thread about It, but probably not for another few weeks. Been busy and have lots of pics and narrative to assemble for the thread.

They're a bit of a PITA to do. I cut off the old hoses and used boiling water to make the new hoses pliable enough to fit back into place.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Thanks Vandit, it sure looks like we might have the same oil leak. I reckon I'll clean it up best I can and see if the leak reveals itself. I think there is a possibility that it's dribbling down from the PS reservoir so that would be worth checking out.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Babalouie
Thanks Vandit, it sure looks like we might have the same oil leak. I reckon I'll clean it up best I can and see if the leak reveals itself. I think there is a possibility that it's dribbling down from the PS reservoir so that would be worth checking out.
If it's not PS fluid (and I don't think it is from the pics) it could be oil dribbling down from the oil pressure sender (leaking O ring) or from the breather pipe next to it. Very common places to leak.

I've got a PS fluid leak. It's very obvious because it's leaking from the rack
Old 10-05-2012, 05:16 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I've got a PS fluid leak. It's very obvious because it's leaking from the rack
Whats the plan steve?

Must be affecting White at the moment as I know Vic has just had his done too
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Had bit more of a look today to try to track down that leak...

Power steering hoses are maybe a little greasy, but not leaking, and more importantly the rubber flap sealing the engine tins is dry. I also ran my finger under the return of the chassis rail and that's dry too.

Rather oddly, I forgot to check the oil pressure switch for leaks while the airbox cover was off, but I will do so...but the power steeing pump lives at the front side of the engine, and you can see that the secondary muffler has a big bracket that bolts to the cover plate on the PS pump belt drive.

The big tube in front of the cover is the feed tube from the oil tank, but it looks like if the muffler is removed, and the bracket moved out of the way, that there would be enough space to get that cover plate off the belt drive housing.

Nice and clean now...I'll check it in a couple of days' time to see if the leak is more obvious. Although if you're eagle-eyed you'll notice that the join between the belt drive housing and the engine tin is wet. There is an o-ring in there, and if the cam seal has gone, that's where the leak would be coming from.

In other news, I replaced those quaint little drain hole bungs that go in the floor of the boot.

They stick out a long way under the car and so get chopped off often

Hmm...I really should daub some paint on the underside of the belly pan
Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 AM
B Lai
6th Gear

Quote:
"And pop in the new one. Interestingly, Porsche don't sell the plastic cup separately, and you have to buy the whole angular cup (US$90), but a few guys here worked out that the plastic cup is the same as a $9 replaceable part on the clutch lever of a 928."

Hi, Babalouie:

Could you kindly advise me the part number of that plastic cup? I tried to find it from the 928 parts diagram but with no luck. Thanks.

Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B Lai
Hi, Babalouie:

Could you kindly advise me the part number of that plastic cup? I tried to find it from the 928 parts diagram but with no luck. Thanks.

Bob
Pretty sure it's this: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...shing%2C%20928
Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 PM
B Lai
6th Gear

Wow...big thanks for you prompt and precious reply.

Bob
Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

The big tube in front of the cover is the feed tube from the oil tank, but it looks like if the muffler is removed, and the bracket moved out of the way, that there would be enough space to get that cover plate off the belt drive housing.
Check the 3rd and 4th response on this thread regarding serving the PS pump area. It's doable.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...es-thread.html
Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Eeek...doable, yes but I may require trauma counselling for years

I'm thinking it's only doable if the heat exchangers come off, since you'll need the space to get an impact gun in there, to get the cam sprocket off.

ps. the oil pressure sender seems hunky-dory, tho.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Power Sterring leak?

Vandit, mine used to leak. When I put in the correct power steering fluid in, it went away..... I would try that first and drive it for a few hundred miles. I think the PO had used auto transmission fluid instead of the approved power steering fluid. When I checked mine (insert finger into fluid when engine is cool) it was red colored and smelled of auto tran fluid. Ford and Gm both use AT fluid. Porsche says no. Worth a try?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Can the rack be reconditioned?

I had one of my other (non-P) cars spring a leak on the rack, and it was $300 to get it resealed and rebuilt. Not too bad, and 6yrs later it's still fine.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 AM
scped
Instructor

I believe the manuals recommend ATF (specifically Dexron II) for the power steering fluid.

Quick Reply: Aussie 964C2 Maintenance Diary (pic heavy!)