Sponsored by:

964 PROGRESS - **Best Driving Roads in the World & Race Prep**

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 PM
P964miller
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Frank,
So impressed with the work you have done on the car, it looks amazing! I would be really interested to hear what the Wong chips adds. I cannot wait to get hold of a 964. If you are around at all a night this week it would be good to get your opinion on the car I am currently looking at as much for negotiating reasons as anything else! Does anyone know how much car tax is on a 1990 C2? Anyway can't wait to come for a spin in Eric and looking forward to Donnington!
Tom
Old 07-04-2011, 02:44 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Hi Frank,

I may have mentioned this before, but you will love the Wong chip, I sure do. All the odd behavior exhibited by other chips seems to dissapear with this chip. The idle is perfect, the AC works w/o the worry of a stall, even with the LT WT flywheel, the torque is more linear and seems to start sooner, & the power is more useable and certainly feels to kick in more horses on demand. Hope you find the same when you plug your's in.

Happy 4th of July to all, even the Brits out there. Thanks for the country
Old 07-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by P964miller
Hi Frank,
So impressed with the work you have done on the car, it looks amazing! I would be really interested to hear what the Wong chips adds. I cannot wait to get hold of a 964. If you are around at all a night this week it would be good to get your opinion on the car I am currently looking at as much for negotiating reasons as anything else! Does anyone know how much car tax is on a 1990 C2? Anyway can't wait to come for a spin in Eric and looking forward to Donnington!
Tom
Hi Tom, if I remember correctly today is D-day... how did the PPI go?!

Thanks for the kind words! I believe tax is around £160 P/A... make eporsch tax it! I love the idea of mapping the car live on a dyno, but seeing as my car is awd it's a little trickier and I have more confidence in the Wong chip at this stage.

Donnigton will be great! I'm wondering if we shouldn't stay with the other Rennlisters at the B&B would be good to branch out a bit more? I don't know just a thought! Either way I'm glad I'll have a 964 nut from London with me!

Originally Posted by christallon
Hi Frank,

I may have mentioned this before, but you will love the Wong chip, I sure do. All the odd behavior exhibited by other chips seems to dissapear with this chip. The idle is perfect, the AC works w/o the worry of a stall, even with the LT WT flywheel, the torque is more linear and seems to start sooner, & the power is more useable and certainly feels to kick in more horses on demand. Hope you find the same when you plug your's in.

Happy 4th of July to all, even the Brits out there. Thanks for the country
Thanks for the heads up, seeing as we seem to progress at the same pace albeit with a drop of water inbetween your feedback is valuable to me. I read up on your track outing

I'm actually half American so happy Independence Day also.

Thanks for the support gentlemen!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:48 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

I will definitely be interested to see how you find the difference with the chip/clutch and LWF Frank.

The red eporsch car looks good at the price given some meaty jobs done. I bought my car from Roly and its been a good un. Same look too GR with black rims (best colour combo) ))

BU
Old 07-04-2011, 06:17 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
I love the idea of mapping the car live on a dyno, but seeing as my car is awd it's a little trickier
Judging by this https://rennlist.com/forums/2388806-post3.html most decent 4wd dynos will do, I've used three places in the southeast on dyno days with the 4wd skyline boys with dynos from Geoff's list (Mustang and Dynapack).

Of course finding the combo of someone who can live map a stock ecu 964 and has access to a decent 4wd dyno may be trickier - but it might be fun to do a run on a dyno before and after the Wong chip a least.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP

I don't know whether it equates to a top end rebuild - I'm pondering that also, I'll ask.

After having done my homework through the search function it seems that the RS clutch/ flywheel set up works for my wants even with only 2-3 track days a year - I will really like more free revving when down changing/ blipping.
Frank, the car is looking great! The momo wheel is perfect; will look forward to seeing the finished product in person later this summer (August London 964 ride hopefully!). Sorry to hear about the problems; like many here I also leak a fair bit of oil, but it is within what I understand to be normal tolerances (it runs well and a recent leakdown test came out excellent, so I'm not worrying until I start needing to leave a bucket under it at night!). What you are doing isn't a top-end rebuild; the various bits you are talking about renewing the seals on are all, I believe, external to the long block. But since you'll have the engine out and most of the ancillaries off, may be worth taking a look inside if the wallet can bear it...costs are what has me holding off until the last possible second...

I'll be very interested to hear your views on the SW chip and the LWF as well. I've been considering a LWF for a year, but I've been very concerned about constant stalling while sitting in traffic in central London. My car is already chipped but if the SW chip makes as big a difference with the LWF as Rennlisters indicate it may be the way to go. My chip and a full sports exhaust from manifolds on back netted me an additional 23hp on the dyno, incidentally. I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to the chip vs. the better breathing, but out of curiosity, what is SW telling you to expect as far as an improvement?

Ben
Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
The red eporsch car looks good at the price given some meaty jobs done. I bought my car from Roly and its been a good un. Same look too GR with black rims (best colour combo) ))

BU
After work Tom and I went down to get the PPI/ have the final chat with Roly.

Was the first time I saw the car in the metal, its gorgeous. The black wheels play off the matching interior so well. It looks mean.

He's picking it up on the 15th once a few things have been tidied up.

I'm sure Tom will fill you guys in on the details... As much as I'm trying to keep my mouth shut and let him introduce the car himself once he's bought it!

Originally Posted by alexjc4

Of course finding the combo of someone who can live map a stock ecu 964 and has access to a decent 4wd dyno may be trickier - but it might be fun to do a run on a dyno before and after the Wong chip a least.
It's a question of cost, I would do I live remap if the car had many unique modifications. But seeing as these mods are pretty standard and a steve w chip has been specifically designed and is reputable it's a no brained at this stage.

I would be interested to see the data, but again rolling road sessions are expensive and besides for me it's not about BHP increases. It's about a smooth, linear power delivery and a strong idle, the BHP increase would be a bonus. Having said that 275BHP would be great

Thanks for the info tho Alex! Just out of curiosity what BHP does your skyline produce? And can we see a picture?

Originally Posted by cuse92
Frank, the car is looking great! The momo wheel is perfect; will look forward to seeing the finished product in person later this summer (August London 964 ride hopefully!). Sorry to hear about the problems; like many here I also leak a fair bit of oil, but it is within what I understand to be normal tolerances (it runs well and a recent leakdown test came out excellent, so I'm not worrying until I start needing to leave a bucket under it at night!). What you are doing isn't a top-end rebuild; the various bits you are talking about renewing the seals on are all, I believe, external to the long block. But since you'll have the engine out and most of the ancillaries off, may be worth taking a look inside if the wallet can bear it...costs are what has me holding off until the last possible second...

I'll be very interested to hear your views on the SW chip and the LWF as well. I've been considering a LWF for a year, but I've been very concerned about constant stalling while sitting in traffic in central London. My car is already chipped but if the SW chip makes as big a difference with the LWF as Rennlisters indicate it may be the way to go. My chip and a full sports exhaust from manifolds on back netted me an additional 23hp on the dyno, incidentally. I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to the chip vs. the better breathing, but out of curiosity, what is SW telling you to expect as far as an improvement?

Ben
The leaks aren't bad and would be tolerated by most, but seeing as it needs a new clutch... I think a rebuild would be over killing it, considering it's had a rebuild by the PO, I've never seen an oil drop on my drive and I hardly ever have to top it up. The engine is very strong.

I'm just doing my due diligence since the engine will be out.

I know what you mean, it's not my daily driver and its not a track day only car, so my idea of a nightmare would be being stuck in traffic on a weekend with a car that can't handle it. I see the Steve Wong chip as essential.

I look forward to reporting back!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Car goes in tomorrow.

Changing subject, I had a thought ( a moment of weakness ), hear me out.

The matt black trim around the windows looks great on 964s of a different colour, however on a black cars they disappear. What if they were painted matt silver...

It would give the car an homage to older 911s and have a modern twist being matt silver ( or maybe just silver )?

Here is the pic that got my mind wondering, I just love colour coordination, in this picture the chrome window trims play off the wheels so well. Is it possible on a 964? Or would it be plain ugly?

Does where I'm coming from have an sense or am I that distracted from working?

Opinions please!

EDIT: Pictures of mine to help visualise...
Attached Images     
Old 07-11-2011, 02:37 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I think it would look great. Is the window trim on the 964 anodized aluminum? If so you could strip is down to bushed or polished aluminum kind of like a RS Audi.

I also think a 964 Targa with the silver hoop would look killer.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

The purist in me is screaming, NO!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2p is that your car looks spot on as it is with the standard black trims. But if you want to visualize how that style of decal would look on yours, here's a pic of a midnight blue 964T that came on one of the NW Rennlist runs:

The good thing about decals is that you can easily take them off.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by boxsey911

The good thing about decals is that you can easily take them off.
I think this is the better route, although I like the 'Carrera' script fits in more with 964s and a bit more subtle than 'PORSCHE' imo.

Twas just a thought in the end!

So Steve with the 24th coming up how many 964s are we expecting?
I am very excited, been a long time coming. Remind me which B&B some of you are staying at? Would be good to have some pints in and some 964 talk the night before!

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 07-11-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:50 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frank, I'll bump up the Donington thread and list the 964s and pm you the digs location
Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Default Donington Park - LWF, RS Clutch - Highs & Lows

Time for an update...

So it's been a weekend of highs and lows of all sorts...

GT One.

Picked up the car from GT One. Peter had as always project managed my car repairs but had left on holiday the day I picking it up so I settled my bill with Craig. Craig is a real nice chap also. Definitely gave me his time in abundance. You can tell that Craig and Peter come from the same apple tree. They speak the same ‘ language ‘.
Left GT One and stalled coming up to the first two sets of traffic lights that came up. After some getting used to no problems what so ever, even with the air con on.

On the Saturday left for the countryside to meet up with Tom for some pre Donington pints in the sun and to see his newly purchased 964. Car looks great, especially once we ( he ) fitted some spacers I had lying around, rear wheels now aggressively composed.

With my car set for track/ two clicks off full hard, my ride was compromised on the country roads. While Tom was beautifully composed and flat on the way to the pub, I almost shattered my teeth and spine!

Having said that I had forgotten just how much of a train on rails it is on smooth roundabouts, bends - it feels like cutting a line through the laws of physics: Just no roll. A proper weapon.

The RS clutch, LWF and RS engine mounts are... superb. The revs are just there constantly and relentlessly. On the up changes and down changes. It makes everything so wonderfully fluid, savage and instant. Also under acceleration at low revs in a higher gear there’s the wonderful mechanical whirl of the LWF - candy for the ears. Gives that race car sound. I strongly recommend this upgrade whenever you clutch goes, the added cost is not severe.

Steve Wong chip to be fitted, full report soon.

So after leaving Tom I made my way to the hotel to meet up with Steve and the other participants for the next days track day...

Troubles.

This is when things started to go wrong in a series of unfortunate events...

I stopped for fuel, went to start the car and nothing. Not even turning over, lights on the dash but no roar...

Call the RAC. In the mean time I see a gorgeous Ford GT40, what I stunning car. The engine was gleaming with chrome and the interior was the stuff of schoolboy dreams.

Sit on the ground and a Jag MK1 shows up... what a gorgeous thing. The owner was a thoroughly nice guy. He offered his help with my car to no avail. Suddenly an old Corsa pulls up next to us with black smoke pouring out of it accompanied by the engine screeching... And an erratic woman jumps out... turns out she'd never had it serviced... A quick look revealed an engine deprived of oil, not a drop...

RAC arrives in 45 min, engine under tray off and the starter motor has packed up broken " rod " I'm told. He manages to screw it back in and Eric roars back into life... Back on all fours and I notice the rear offside wheel is flat!!!!!!!!

It's a Saturday it's now 10pm and the RAC man has been phoning around trying to find me a garage that will re-open and have two rear tyres in stock in the right sizes...

Yes that's right the puncture was in the side wall in my less than 12 month year old tyres...

At this stage I've consumed more nicotine than ' The Marlboro Man '. To say I'm happy that the Mrs wasn't with me in the end is the biggest understatement I've made this year...

Finally we find a garage that will reopen and that has some tyres in a size that will fit ( thank you so much to Steve and the guys for alternative tyre sizes ).

So now I'm back on the road and still have another hour to get to the hotel, I'm shattered and extremely unhappy about shelling out so much money on tyres I don't want - wrong sizes, not N rated, not rotational...

Donington.

It was a scorching hot, sunny and clear day. The track is awesome, has every type of corner and straight one could want. My favourite part was ‘ Craner Corner ‘ a fast bend with a serious downward crest.

The car performed faultlessly. The KWs kept the car absolutely glued flat to the track. The new narrow rear tyres squealed like pigs on fire. The LWF and RS clutch made for relentless speed through the gears. I kept the cat bypass and G-pipe and the roar echoing on the wall of ‘ Wheatcroft Straight ‘ was intoxicating.

Meeting new faces was great – finally putting faces to names. Steve is a thoroughly nice chap. Thank you for organising what was a great day Steve!

So with the starter motor not working I managed to find a spot in the paddocks on a slope where I could coast the car with enough speed to dump the clutch and fire Eric up. No problems.

The truth.

I had my best laps straight after lunch. At that moment in time everything else just dissolved away, my mind became a melting pot of concentration and there was no filter process between the car and myself. Just a fusion between us of absolute purpose, dedication and concentration. I reached a moment of euphoria with Eric in those moments. A sudden clarity where I truly understood that like a relationship it’s the imperfections between two entities that make perfection. It was a an intense state of transcendent happiness combined with an overwhelming sense of contentment. They say ‘ the engine is the wrong place ‘ and everything else but it is these imperfections that make the 964 perfect. It’s about you harnessing those imperfections and it harnessing yours. There is nothing more rewarding than taming the beast.

Looking at her cooling down, gleaming in the paddock sunshine, with the engine lid up letting cool air into the engine bay I felt a new level of appreciation for what our 964s can do.

You couldn’t drive a 20 year old Ferrari to the track, race it, drive it back home via the supermarket to pick up a well deserved Sunday roast!

The bottom line, I loved my car before joining Rennlist. But through reading threads, meeting Rennlisters in London, Wales and Donington, track day excusions, trips through Europe my feeling of respect and adoration for my car has transcended love.

Now what the hell am I gonna do with those damn skinny rear tyres and that broken starter motor!!!!!!! AH!

They say pictures say a thousand words…

PS. I've left somethings out to blabber on about at the next meet... my off track excursion and fuel leak on rear tyre on track
Attached Images                

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 07-27-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Video coming soonish....
Attached Images        

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 07-26-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 964 PROGRESS - **Best Driving Roads in the World & Race Prep**