964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 PROGRESS - **Best Driving Roads in the World & Race Prep**

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011 | 08:43 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

I'm getting my dash back next week,door tops, lower dash bits and will post up pics when back and you can have a look... He's based in heathrow so just down the Rd from w4 so you can pop and see him for a price or take a look at mine in the flesh if you want!!
Old 10-08-2011 | 11:54 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by fuch
I'm getting my dash back next week,door tops, lower dash bits and will post up pics when back and you can have a look... He's based in heathrow so just down the Rd from w4 so you can pop and see him for a price or take a look at mine in the flesh if you want!!
Sounds great thanks! What's his website? I'd love to go down and have a look at what he's doing for you.
Old 10-08-2011 | 05:07 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Mike Hammond, autointeriors...he does a lot of Old jags,Rolls, mercs.....worth going down to see him as he's always got a interesting classic down there...had a 123 coupe down there last time I went that had a baby blue leather re,trim dash and all with a alcantara headlining... Sounds wrong but I don't know why but I liked it..... All very vivian Westwood...Mmmmmm
Old 10-10-2011 | 03:43 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Post up some pics when you get the stuff back Fuch

Im getting the first of my stuff back from the trimmers this week but I think theyre too far North for you Frank (and the waiting list is looooooooong).

Chris
Old 10-25-2011 | 11:17 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Default Best driving roads in the world.

Having a great car is one thing, having a 964 is another. We are all very lucky to posses what is not arguably the best car in the world - it is the best car in the world

Thing is, it's one thing thinking we have the best cars in the world - it's another knowing.

How do we know? By driving it. Not just casual drives - a proper drive. A drive that makes us appreciate every aspect of our cars. A journey of appreciation.

I think of the bond I have with my car as a relationship. It's not perfect, I certainly am not and neither is my car. But with all the best relationships it's about the journey. The discovery of imperfections. The accommodations/ sacrifices we make that form a beautiful and perfect relationship.

Yes this is the same way I feel about my actual partner - Emma. But let's keep that a secret.

The journey - discovering those imperfection in order to make the bond perfect. The journey - putting the bond/ the car in situations to discover the truth in you and it.

When I say 'it' I mean Eric.

So it's a question of quality & time. I say time, because it takes time to discover. I say quality, because it's about the quality of the time we spent.

All the aforementioned brings me to why: Why I take my car and I assume we all take our cars to the track and on the best driving roads we know.

How can one gauge the best driving roads in the world? Surely it's all down to personal preference? For me it's about smooth tarmac, hairpins, sweeping bends, tunnels, cliff edges/ faces and surreal scenery...

As I'm sure many of you will know the Top Gear bunch went on a mission to find the best driving roads in the world...

Extensive use of the Google brought me to a company named 'Circuit Days' who organise European Tours that encompass these mythically and glorious roads.

Why do it with a group? Why not alone - surely cheaper? Yes. But here is my debate.

If you were the last person alive in the world it would be fun for a while... I know I'd raid Stuttgart and empty the Porsche factory/ museum of all it's glorious metal - that would be the responsible thing to do.

However after a while you would feel alone - truth Is our lives our worth nothing if we can't share them with someone.

As a group experiencing these roads the gratifications are awesome - hence why Andy's kindly organised trip to Spa and The Ring appeal to me.

So the trip:

Switzerland, France and Italy....
4 Days.
25 Supercars - most which Stuttgart's finest
Julier Pass,
Stelvio Pass,
Umbrail Pass,
Bormio Pass,
San Bernardino Pass,
Grand Saint Bernard Pass.

The highlight for me was the Stelvio pass.

The 964 got some passing attention, mostly thoughts of 'oh that's a pretty Porsche'. Understandable (I guess) when the parking lot contained Ferraris, Porsche GT3s, Lambos, Nissan GTRs, Aston Martins, XKRs and other exotic metal...

By the end of the trip the 964 was the talking point of all conversation. Nicknamed the underdog....

Whilst the other cars were tremendously fast, in the tight, tricky turns the 964 was faster than most.... The Stelvio Pass was a highlight... whilst the other cars struggled to fit round the hairpins and put their immense power down in the tight sweeping bends the 964 went into a class of it's own....

I had a Nissan GTR, SL AMG, Corvette, Ferrari F430 pull over on the way down to let me passed. It became the running joke whenever we were coming to tight passes - my car was ushered to the front to lead the way.... "Where's the underdog?"

We covered 2,500 miles in 4 days, the car never missed a beat, whilst the Sl AMG shredded it's rear tyres, the GTR and Corvette boiled over....

I can safely say I have reached yet another level of appreciation for what our cars can do when well setup... I feel a stronger connection with the car than ever and a real confidence in what I and the car can do.

I feel aware of my limits and the cars.

But now it's done and now it's a mission of mine... At one time I would love to organise a group to go down there without an organisation, I'd be honoured to be the tour guide, relieve Darren of his duties

It's a tremendous experience, there is no pressure to floor it, it's a trip at your own pace. I'd say 60% of the group brought their other halves or a friend... having said that I'd think long and hard about how you would drive... it would effect your choice of companion/ victim.

Word's can't describe how amazing these roads are...

For those haven't seen my footage....

Attached Images  

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 10-25-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2011 | 11:39 AM
nesta
Intermediate

Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 10-25-2011 | 11:44 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
...The 964 got some passing attention, mostly thoughts of 'oh that's a pretty Porsche'. Understandable (I guess) when the parking lot contained Ferraris, Porsche GT3s, Lambos, Nissan GTRs, Aston Martins, XKRs and other exotic metal...

By the end of the trip the 964 was the talking point of all conversation. Nicknamed the underdog....

Whilst the other cars were tremendously fast, in the tight, tricky turns the 964 was faster than most.... The Stelvio Pass was a highlight... whilst the other cars struggled to fit round the hairpins and put their immense power down in the tight sweeping bends the 964 went into a class of it's own....

I had a Nissan GTR, SL AMG, Corvette, Ferrari F430 pull over on the way down to let me passed. It became the running joke whenever we were coming to tight passes - my car was ushered to the front to lead the way.... "Where's the underdog?"

We covered 2,500 miles in 4 days, the car never missed a beat, whilst the Sl AMG shredded it's rear tyres, the GTR and Corvette boiled over....

I can safely say I have reached yet another level of appreciation for what our cars can do when well setup... I feel a stronger connection with the car than ever and a real confidence in what I and the car can do.

I feel aware of my limits and the cars
Love it. It's so true.

I've seen the same thing on every group run I've done. You'll see the people walk over to the car and look at it in a whole new light.

Then, I think of some of the other cars on this forum...with sorted suspensions, sticky tires, re-geared transmissions, and upgraded engines. Those cars would be untouchable.
Old 10-25-2011 | 12:22 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Default Race prep

Recaros

So in the pursuit of losing weight the standard seats had to go...

Regular checks on eBay finally proved fruitful and a perfect condition second hand pair with matching mounts and runners arrived on my door step...

Trouble is as many of you may have heard and experienced fitting these seats are a dark art....

After struggling I ended up ditching the mounts supplied, incorrect for my application and bought some new ones from 'Demon Tweaks' after a kind referral from a fellow rennlister...

Demon tweaks were really helpful... recommend them!

The seats are great, the original seats way ALOT! They are very fitting and really make you feel involved. I would say the car feels faster if only because the seats are so involving.

Whilst a great suspension setup will dial out roll what ends up happening is that you as an individual end up rolling.... Buckets really eliminate this - the support around shoulders and bolster are awesome. You really feel a part of the car. The seats are also very comfortable, even on very long journeys.

The great part is that I mounted them in such a way that they move forwards enough to allow luggage and people in the rear if you would so desire.

I intend to have them recovered in leather red stitching, embossed with the Porsche crest and the backs painted Guard Red - some day.

Harnesses

Whilst speaking with my instructor for the day in March of this year, he told of how he was a in a 944 with standard seat belts and how when the car rolled he hit his helmet wearing head into the driver and cracked a rib... all this to say a harness set seemed the responsible step for track days...

After doing my research I settled on some Schrott Racing Harnesses, in Red of-course. They are great and further the sensation of being 'bolted' to the experience.

There are several ways to mount the harnesses... I went for the Brey Kraus harness truss, not only is the build quality spectacular but the flexibility of being able to remove the whole thing, harnesses included via a couple of bolts within minutes is great.

I would also say that the the truss also increases rigidity as it braces the B-pillars.

Tyres

After having to shell out on awful tyres, replacements had to be found pre the eurotrip....

I settled on AD08s. They are a track day tyre that is road legal. They are a harder compound than R888 and AD048 and as a result are usable as an everyday tyre that won't need replacing as often as pure track tyres. After completing 2,500 miles of very hard driving in Europe the tyres have lost no noticeable tread depth. They have a deeper tread than the aforementioned track tyres and dispel water incredibly well.

They are just as loud/ quite and comfortable as my Bridgestone Potenzas.

They are awesome, the grip levels are unbelievable and the sidewalls have no wobble. The car felt completely different with these tyres. The capabilities of your car become gravity defying with these tyres.

I would recommend them not only as a track tyre but also just as a summer tyre.

As said their wet weather performance is incredible, during my recent trip through the alps I faced torrential down poor and tyres never stopped gripping. Awesome stiff. During the trip I was with a Lotus Exige on AD048s and he was in a night mare.

Steve Wong Chip

Great chip. I can definitely feel the difference. However and this is a big however, it has sucked out all the benefits of the LWF. Killing the revs. I will be sending mine back to have the LWF fix removed from it's programming.

However it seems that many 964s react differently to a LWF, mine had no problems only greatness with it and the standard chip. I feel it's a bit of a trial and error thing. Don't assume like me that just because you have a LWF you will need a new chip. Mine didn't even when cold and stuck in traffic.

Pedal assembly

Depending on the year of your 964 you will find that your pedal assembly will vary from 2 different types.

Mine had the resting place for your left leg between the clutch and brake... truly useless.

I had issues with my clutch.... after having changed the slave, bled the system and changed the roll pin the pedal still had awful travel. Huge thank you to Alex who helped me with my issues.

Eventually I brought the car to Craig of GT One, yes you guessed it praise to come. Craig suggested worn bushes in the pedal assembly, and while the bushes could be replaced he suggested swapping it over with a 993 pedal assembly he had lying around.

An hour later I had a fully functioning pedal assembly with a good sized place to rest my left foot - on the left of the clutch.

I would suggest this mod to anyone who has a failed pedal assembly... buy a cheap one off eBay. Easy job! Also the mechanism in the 993 pedal assembly is far more resistant to wear.

Right I think that's about it! Iv'e finally updated the thread!

Pictures....
Attached Images                
Old 10-25-2011 | 12:27 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Attached Images               

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 10-25-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2011 | 12:30 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Attached Images      
Old 10-25-2011 | 12:46 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

New clear corners and chrome wheel nuts...

A couple interior shots...

Also car just got back from MOT - Pass thank GOD!
Attached Images          
Old 10-25-2011 | 01:35 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

That's interesting feedback about the chip Frank. I only get minor stalling when the car is started from cold e.g. it stalls just after I've finished reversing off the drive but once I restart it and pull away it doesn't happen again. I'd considered getting the chip to fix that but if it dulls the zing that the LWF has given the car, I'm not going to bother.
Old 10-25-2011 | 04:22 PM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Fank is that Barley Mow passage as a born and bred Chiswickian I had my first ever beer in the very pub
Old 10-25-2011 | 07:20 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

great stuff frank. So when are your organising this fantastic European driving tour??
Old 10-25-2011 | 09:13 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Looking good Frank;-)

Quick Reply: 964 PROGRESS - **Best Driving Roads in the World & Race Prep**