Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 PROGRESS - **Best Driving Roads in the World & Race Prep**

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a track day at Castle Combe, absolutely thrilling!

As I didn't know Castle Combe circuit and am new to track days I took an instructor for the an hour - Erling Jensen.

The weather wasn't great with a few short showers, but after lunch it all cleared up.

Castle Combe is a great track, challenging and fast - with long sweeping bends and a couple of chincanes. Taking an instructor was essential and I can't imagine not taking one every time I take on a new track for the first time. I think it would be dangerous not to.

Erling was great. He also had me take the passenger seat and showed me more precisely the racing lines. I asked if he could demonstrate a hot lap and the result was impressive - he confirmed what these cars are capable of and in a big way.

Out on the circuit were mostly Caterhams, an R8, an Ariel Atom, an Elise and a GT3. The atmosphere honestly wasn't the friendliest and more than half my enjoyment in my car is sharing my experiences. I think I'll be attending track days with Porsche enthusiasts ( 964 enthusiasts ) most if not all of the time. I just like chatting about cars that are relative to my own - only natural.

Let's just say I am really looking forward to Donnington Park organised by Steve this July ( Places still available btw! ).

Here are a few pics of the day....

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I like the sill covers .Any tips about removing the old ones - I presume they're glued on?
Originally Posted by Vic_S
Very very cool.

Not much left to do now....maybe a new steering wheel

Vic

Done It makes a difference, the offset makes for a much better driving position and the gauges are more easily read than with the old one. Although I may dye/ paint the yellow bits red to match... ?
Attached Images           
Old 06-09-2011, 02:37 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff Frank. Glad you enjoyed it and yes, you'll find our Donington day a far more friendly affair

I hope that's a video camera I spotted in the back and that you're busy editing some for us to watch?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Great shots...the car looks so planted in every shot! What adjustments (from the usual "street" mode) did you make to the valving of your KW-V3s for the track? Oh I want that setup so bad!

Also +1 on having an instructor ride along.

For "track" newbies like us, it's a must... After the second session of my first track day, my instructor asked me if I wanted to go solo? I looked at him and said, "no way, I want you right here beside me....there's always some thing I can ask or something you can correct in my driving." (earlier he had told me he had done 3,000+ laps on this track! Much respect.) After awhile he was mostly silent (probably seeing there was no hope for me AND frighten for his life), with me saying, "sorry, I missed the turn-in point...I'll get it next lap".

Also +964 for doing more track days with Porschephiles!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good Frank! I really need to think about getting down to the track too!

As you know, I've ordered the set of KW V3's plus the H&R sway bars and they're currently at 9m who'll send them to me in France next week. I can't wait for them to be fitted!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
...I've ordered the set of KW V3's plus the H&R sway bars and they're currently at 9m who'll send them to me in France next week. I can't wait for them to be fitted!
(sorry Frank for the quick hijack...)

Andy,
No, no..drive the car up to 9m and have it fitted...and throw in a bit of Motec tuning while you're there. Good choice on getting V3s!

Will miss seeing you in Paris this summer. We're taking a two year break from France and building a new program in Canada in the meantime. My wife is starting to get serious Paris withdrawal symptoms right now...even the kids miss going and talk about it all the time. Isn't your little guy is about to turn one...I bet its been quite a year!

Best,
Udo

PS: I still think about our day a Classic LM! What a FULL day that was.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 PM
jamest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Frank, a wet day at Castle Combe is a pretty tough way to start your track career!

As said before, there will be 2 or 3 of us going to Bedford on the 9th July and I think that RPM Technik will be along with some customers so there should be a few Porsches. I am also hoping to get to Bedford on the 13th August for the Boxa.net day that Steve mentioned previously.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Vic_S
Racer

Looking good Frank
KW's & ARB's working nicely; not much body roll in those shots

And that new Momo is the biz!

How were you for their sound limits / did you have to swap out the G-Pipe?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Car looking good on track Frank.....last time I was at Castle Coomb was in 1999, hired it for my stag doo and spent the day pounding round with a load of mates on a private day...what a blast...and that was before they put in the chicanes I hear they've now got........

Also interested to know how you got on sound limit wise.......
Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Great shots Frank - the car looks superb in action!

Looks like a lot of fun, think I'd be too chicken in my own car - wouldn't trust other drivers, pushing their cars beyond their capabilities... come to think of it, not sure my own driving is up to it

I did take a Ferrari around Thruxton once, but it wasn't my car so didn't worry too much and just went for it!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

I hope that's a video camera I spotted in the back and that you're busy editing some for us to watch?
Yup soon as I finish work I'll get on editing... altho no judgements pls!

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
What adjustments (from the usual "street" mode) did you make to the valving of your KW-V3s for the track? Oh I want that setup so bad!

Also +1 on having an instructor ride along.

For "track" newbies like us, it's a must... After the second session of my first track day, my instructor asked me if I wanted to go solo? I looked at him and said, "no way, I want you right here beside me....there's always some thing I can ask or something you can correct in my driving." (earlier he had told me he had done 3,000+ laps on this track! Much respect.) After awhile he was mostly silent (probably seeing there was no hope for me AND frighten for his life), with me saying, "sorry, I missed the turn-in point...I'll get it next lap".

Also +964 for doing more track days with Porschephiles!
Hahaha re instructor

The settings I use on the V3s are the same on and off track:

Front above: 8/18 Clicks off full hard.
Front below: 7/14 "
Rear above: 8/18 "
Rear below: 7/14 "

Next time on track I'll go much harder.

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
As you know, I've ordered the set of KW V3's plus the H&R sway bars and they're currently at 9m who'll send them to me in France next week. I can't wait for them to be fitted!
Great stuff, so why are they with 9M?

Originally Posted by jamest
Glad to hear you enjoyed it Frank, a wet day at Castle Combe is a pretty tough way to start your track career!

As said before, there will be 2 or 3 of us going to Bedford on the 9th July and I think that RPM Technik will be along with some customers so there should be a few Porsches. I am also hoping to get to Bedford on the 13th August for the Boxa.net day that Steve mentioned previously.
That all sounds great, let me catch my breath but in principal you'll have another 964 coming!

Originally Posted by Vic_S
How were you for their sound limits / did you have to swap out the G-Pipe?

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy

Also interested to know how you got on sound limit wise.......
Well they're quite strict 100db static. No track side test! Thankfully Steve has been advising me - rear silencer back on I passed at 100db

Originally Posted by PaulW_964
Looks like a lot of fun, think I'd be too chicken in my own car - wouldn't trust other drivers, pushing their cars beyond their capabilities... come to think of it, not sure my own driving is up to it

I did take a Ferrari around Thruxton once, but it wasn't my car so didn't worry too much and just went for it!
Well it's not that scary in truth, I recon that if you sticks to real enthusiast track days with few cars you run with able drivers.
I think theres more chance of a white van knocking ya in the real worls... Besides the spirit of these track days is very much light hearted, no racing, timing or overtaking without invitation from the car in front and only on straights.
That's not to say I wasn't nervous but you really ease into it... None the less I absolutely understand where you are coming from!

I can't see myself becoming a track day junkie with my car, it'll end up being an even more slippery slope that I just can't afford! But I could see myself doing 2/3 a year just to remind myself what the car can be capable of and what I'm not!

Oh yeah, and just incase one of you has the itch to participate or watch many 964s https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ml#post8626932
Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A wet baptisum of fire Frank ,You wait until you have had your first spin on a TD LOL that brings a whole lot of other thoughts into your head ,Great fun I cant wait to get all this stuff on the 964 and get it on some days out

Just before it got muddy@ Silverstone

Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by clinchy993
A wet baptisum of fire Frank ,You wait until you have had your first spin on a TD LOL that brings a whole lot of other thoughts into your head ,Great fun I cant wait to get all this stuff on the 964 and get it on some days out
[/IMG]
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-964-RE...3#ht_500wt_922

Looking good Tony.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Spooky that is where I just got a pannel from ,its the other side BTW

See my post
Old 06-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

So a little update ( Unfortunately & fortunately... ),

The clutch has very little travel, upon start up I find myself lifting it back up to it's full position and the 'bite' isn't great. The problem has seemed to be getting worse...

Last time the car was in GTOne they also found some other problems - oil leaks :

Cam chain housing - gaskets and seals.
Both bottom cam covers.
Front oil cooler.
Crankshaft front & rear oil seals.
Corrosion on heat exchanger.

Spoiler blind broken.
New luggage compartment seal required.

So after that heart attack of a revelation I decided to carry on driving the 964 until the clutch was at it's true end - since the car pulls, works well and it would give me the much needed time to save up. Thing is hardly have to top up the oil.

Because when you start doing a clutch the engine may as well come out and at that stage you may as well do all the seals, etc.....

Now is the time.

GT One have made me a quote for all the work and since I was in there I'm planning an RS Clutch and RS flywheel fitted ( I'm assuming the RS flywheel is a single mass light weight flywheel? ).

So the result is I'm taking deep breaths, trying to concentrate at work and looking forward to the day I pick the car up and it has a clean bill of health. I'll never sell this car.

Anyway, I would appreciate some input/ advice - Is there anything else I should be thinking about during this painful time? Does anybody else's car in this thread leak oil?

Great stuff Frank. Glad you enjoyed it and yes, you'll find our Donington day a far more friendly affair

Hi Steve, I see you've had extensive work on your 964 and thought you may also be able to give me some insight on the above?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Frank,
I am in the same boat as you. My original (I assume, as car has only 35K miles) Freudenberg DMF is on it's deathbed.

I have ordered:
LUK DMF
Sachs Clutch Kit
Wevo Engine mounts (Black Pillow)
Beru wire set
Bilstein HDs & HR Greens.
Brake Lines.
My wrench has authority to replace any oil/fuel lines, seals and bushings that look dodgy.

That is one expensive DMF replacement..... but figure I might as well rip it off like a band-aid (plaster)

Quick Reply: 964 PROGRESS - **Best Driving Roads in the World & Race Prep**