Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 PROGRESS - **Best Driving Roads in the World & Race Prep**

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread Frank! Ive just caught up with it.

Does anyone know where I can get my arches rolled closer to North East England?

Now that ive dropped my ride height more the RHs are starting to catch on the front arches on hard round-about cornering. Eek!

Chris
Old 05-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Body work

The other evening I parked my car and went for dinner only to come back and see that someone had grabbed mud from a skip further along the road and had rubbed it into the bonnet and the driver's side wing.

The result was deep scratches to both panels

Regardless the car was due for body work to those panels inclusive, something I wasn't planning to do for another year or so. So I took the opportunity and took in for body work.

The front arches have a small amount of rust, rust by the windscreen and rear windscreen as well as few other bits and pieces. I'm also having the callipers powder coated Guards red and 993 door handles installed.

My 993 door handle debate:
I think the flag mirrors suit the 3.2 Carrera best as the black rubber surrounds compliment the deformable bumpers. The teardrop mirrors suit the shape of the 964 better imo for that same exact reasoning I think the 993 door handles look better on the 964. No?

That's not to say I'm not a fan of D90's and flags on a stock car, but that's not what this car is about. Of course if my 964 was a rare one I wouldn't want to change the original look. Besides these are all reversible cosmetics...

I was planning on going with the AP Car design look of deleting the indicator and cup mirrors, a look that I feel cleans up the lines of the car very nicely.

However in the UK the indicator deletes are an Mot failure and the mirrors thanks to rennlisters knowledge are absolutely about form and not function.

So quick call to the body shop stopped that! However I'm after a splitter as long as I can still get over speed bumps...

The bodyshop I'm using is run by a Colombian named Roger who's a veteran, who is very cheap, very fast, very rustic is his techniques and has some beautiful examples of his work - Ferrari, SLS, Lamborghini etc, etc...

Here are some pics, bad iPhone pics...
Attached Images        
Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM
PaulW_964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bas***ds Frank! Sorry to hear that... On the plus side your car will look even better very soon. Nice work, I look forward to seeing it in the flesh
Old 05-04-2011, 06:01 PM
LUCKY LONDON 964
Advanced

Its not just our 964s Frank the toerags keyed the wifes X5 Sunday when i got back from our meet.I d love to catch them !!!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 AM
Vic_S
Racer

Frank, you must be gutted

It always pisses me off when I hear about this sort of thing...

But I admire your attitude of fixing it quickly & making it even better

And those red calipers will match the new sticker nicely
Old 05-05-2011, 06:09 AM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Mate, that sux.

Your car is gonna look great with the read calipers. It makes a hugh difference.

Am also a fan of the Ruf mirrors.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 AM
ozmatt964
Instructor

The 993 door handles do look good and neaten up the side of the car IMO. Let us know what you do Frank.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Default More body work pics.

Thanks for all the support guys, I'm just taking it on the chin. I planned to have those panels resprayed anyway - even though my body shop is cheap it wasn't a planned hit on the wallet yet! Argh!
Attached Images      
Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vic_S
Frank, you must be gutted

It always pisses me off when I hear about this sort of thing...

But I admire your attitude of fixing it quickly & making it even better

And those red calipers will match the new sticker nicely
Hi Vic, just cleaned up the silencer, here are some pics. There seems to be some rust, last picture? Could that be a plate that was welded in or am I mistaken?
Attached Images     
Old 05-06-2011, 04:40 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That plate is made of steel and not stainless, so will rust like a beauty. Most of those silencers crack there, I had my old one welded up a few times!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Vic_S
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Hi Vic, just cleaned up the silencer, here are some pics. There seems to be some rust, last picture? Could that be a plate that was welded in or am I mistaken?
Frank, I guess that's the area where mine has failed as well...it's a shame they didn't patch it with stainless, but as long as its not leaking, its better than I have already. And then I can get mine welded up as a spare.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vic_S
Frank, I guess that's the area where mine has failed as well...it's a shame they didn't patch it with stainless, but as long as its not leaking, its better than I have already. And then I can get mine welded up as a spare.
Well have a look on Saturday, see what you think and if you'd rather walk away that's fine
Old 05-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Vic_S
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Well have a look on Saturday, see what you think and if you'd rather walk away that's fine
No worries, see you then!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to read both your cars got vandalized.

A similar situation happened to me when someone decided to rub the dust and sand that was on the car after an event into the paint. It wasn't a pretty sight,

After that I installed a CCTV camera system and it has proven effective. Once more has someone been stupid enough to try it and the person ended in jail for a while with trespassing charges on top of it. Ever since everyone in a 5 mile radius knows my car sits under surveillance. It was well worth the $300 it cost me.

You may want to invest in a system like that as well.. if possible. Privacy laws are a strange thing in your part of the world.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:21 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ozmatt964
The 993 door handles do look good and neaten up the side of the car IMO. Let us know what you do Frank.
I'm surprised more people dont go down the route of painting their 964 handles body clour

90% of the effect for 0% of the cost of 993 handles (assumes you need to repaint the 993 handles as well)

Quick Reply: 964 PROGRESS - **Best Driving Roads in the World & Race Prep**