Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 05:19 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,398 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
Nice car, still don't understand BAT and the peanut gallery. I think I'd rather lose money that deal with half of the questions/posts. And I'll never get P car people and their obsession with colors.
The peanut gallery on BaT can be difficult to deal with. Know some guys who will not sell on BaT (or other online auction sites) because of them. If they do the reins get handed over to a dealer to handle the auction.

I understand the love for colors to a degree, but has gotten ridiculous in recent years. People paying absurd premiums for rare or bright colors, large car shows focused just on colors (Rare Shades), and even Porsche has started to cash in with things such as PTS wall paints. Gone to car shows where guys with new PTS GT cars just wanna talk about the color and I (and probably others) would way rather talk about the car itself. I wanna ask is the best part of your 9k rpm GT3 really the color? I’ve even heard PTS RS (big social media PTS guy) thinks things have gotten carried away. Rubystone like on this car is a love it or hate it color. Some love it and others hate it. I’m personally not a huge fan as it’s pink to me. This color like Mint Green is one that I could see going in and out of style at more extreme levels as they are very flamboyant.
Originally Posted by darylbowden
RNM at 270k high bid. Honestly for a car with that much paintwork and high miles (for an RS), I thought that number was generous. Not sure what the seller thinks he can get out of it, but I don't think the market is willing to pay big money for non-collector examples right now.
Wonder how much they are looking for. Whatever it is this example is probably not worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidGT:
s65e90 (02-02-2024), Spyder_2011 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 09:17 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 824 Likes on 571 Posts

Well said, and you could not be more right regarding the car shows/cars and coffee, I find no one who is knowledgeable about the cars or mechanically inclined like other marques where we get together and talk about wrenching on the cars. Most are focused on who has what PTS color.
The following users liked this post:
Kyzcreig (02-03-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 01:22 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 266 Posts

TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - 1993 964 Euro Carrera 2
Old 02-04-2024, 02:17 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

A few examples from the Autotrader all in CAD$.

All are with dealers two Porsche dealers and one small independent.

Old 02-04-2024, 04:33 PM
Kyzcreig
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 51 Posts
Default TMU

Beautiful C2 in a great color. Problem is the odometer was reset to all zeroes (now showing only 9 km) and its been fully repainted, yet he wants all the money for it. At that price, if you ever consider selling it in the future, that TMU issue and repaint will certainly handicap its value. So, it might be a great car to hold onto forever, but I also wonder what the actual mileage is...

Last edited by Kyzcreig; 02-05-2024 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:26 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

OK.... WHO is doing this?
1992 Porsche 911 | eBay
Old 02-05-2024, 09:28 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kyzcreig
Beautiful C2 in a great color. Problem is the odometer was reset to all zeroes (now showing only 9 km) and its been fully repainted, yet he wants all the money for it. At that price, if you ever consider selling it in the future, that TMU issue and repaint will certainly handicap its value. So, it might be a great car to hold onto forever, but I also wonder what the actual mileage is...

I agree. My RSA had almost 140k when I bought it and I made sure that the title reflected that. I don't see any reason to set it to 0, even for a full restoration, except for the possibility that 10-15 years from now, it could dupe someone into thinking it's actual miles. BEst to have the real number.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
The peanut gallery on BaT can be difficult to deal with. Know some guys who will not sell on BaT (or other online auction sites) because of them. If they do the reins get handed over to a dealer to handle the auction.

I understand the love for colors to a degree, but has gotten ridiculous in recent years. People paying absurd premiums for rare or bright colors, large car shows focused just on colors (Rare Shades), and even Porsche has started to cash in with things such as PTS wall paints. Gone to car shows where guys with new PTS GT cars just wanna talk about the color and I (and probably others) would way rather talk about the car itself. I wanna ask is the best part of your 9k rpm GT3 really the color? I’ve even heard PTS RS (big social media PTS guy) thinks things have gotten carried away. Rubystone like on this car is a love it or hate it color. Some love it and others hate it. I’m personally not a huge fan as it’s pink to me. This color like Mint Green is one that I could see going in and out of style at more extreme levels as they are very flamboyant.

Wonder how much they are looking for. Whatever it is this example is probably not worth it.
Today people buy these cars because they want to be seen more than appreciate the car they drive. Although a nice 964 gets attention at a C&C the jelly bean colors or one off PTS get instant attention. Unique and bright and when you pay several 6 figures for a car to be seen in the colors that nobody wanted here in the US which were barely if even ordered are all the rage today. The RoW market did some strange color combos and for me interior and exterior should compliment each other but today magenta and other interiors are also seeing premiums irrespective of exterior color. Sadly the market has shifted away from what I knew as the enthusiast and are only purchased for IG cred and other social reasons. Most of the new Porsche GT owners I speak to today have know idea a 73 or 964 RS existed or what an air-cooled 911 is. That would never have been the case 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by canuck964
A few examples from the Autotrader all in CAD$.

All are with dealers two Porsche dealers and one small independent.

At those prices I should consider putting my C2 up for sale for $250k and see if anyone bites.
spevie (02-06-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff33702
1992 Porsche 911 | eBay

This car has been on BaT a few times. I knew the seller the first bAT auction. Great guy with a collection of cars most would die just to own one of.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:19 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Today people buy these cars because they want to be seen more than appreciate the car they drive. Although a nice 964 gets attention at a C&C the jelly bean colors or one off PTS get instant attention. Unique and bright and when you pay several 6 figures for a car to be seen in the colors that nobody wanted here in the US which were barely if even ordered are all the rage today. The RoW market did some strange color combos and for me interior and exterior should compliment each other but today magenta and other interiors are also seeing premiums irrespective of exterior color. Sadly the market has shifted away from what I knew as the enthusiast and are only purchased for IG cred and other social reasons. Most of the new Porsche GT owners I speak to today have know idea a 73 or 964 RS existed or what an air-cooled 911 is. That would never have been the case 10 years ago.
Cars like this Cobalt Blue/Magenta 3.6 Turbo are IMO a classic case in point of two colors that don’t really go well together. They are each desirable on their own, but I think shouldn’t be paired together. These go best if paired with a matching or neutral color. Despite this a lot I bet would still want a car in this color combo as it’s bold and rare, but could argue there’s a reason why it is rare.

https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...-1994-3079751/

Last edited by RapidGT; 02-05-2024 at 12:44 PM.
cobalt (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 12:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Cars like this Cobalt Blue/Magenta 3.6 Turbo are IMO a classic case in point of two colors that don’t really go well together. They are each desirable on their own, but I think shouldn’t be paired together. These go best if paired with a matching or neutral color. Despite this a lot I bet would still want a car in this color combo as it’s bold and rare, but could argue there’s a reason why it is rare.

https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...-1994-3079751/
Agreed. I have known about that car and another with the same green interior as the forest 3.6T that recently sold. No accounting for taste but there is someone out there that will pay up for them.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:42 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

1992 Porsche 911 | eBay
User on here bought it after the original owner died. Said it was not in great shape as the wife kept the car parked at their marina in Charleston and it showed. Tried to clean it up, but said the undercarriage and paint needed some TLC. Looks to have lived a hard life in its 59k miles and definitely used as intended. A “port” car like mine, but was converted to cup car specifications by some independent shop.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

User on here bought it after the original owner died. Said it was not in great shape as the wife kept the car parked at their marina in Charleston and it showed. Tried to clean it up, but said the undercarriage and paint needed some TLC. Looks to have lived a hard life in its 59k miles and definitely used as intended. A “port” car like mine, but was converted to cup car specifications by some independent shop.

I believe it was converted by PMR and it was a car driven hard most of its life. Although the owner from NJ did have an open checkbook approach to ownership.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:58 PM
2-Rotor
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

1992 Porsche 911 | eBay
That link is this car https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-911-us-cup-2/
Old 02-06-2024, 08:41 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2-Rotor
Correct that’s the same car. Also sold in early 2021 on BaT. Kinda a limited market for an example like this.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...e-911-cup-usa/

GRP has a 1990 Maritime Blue euro cup. Say it’s one of a few finished in this color. Interesting as I thought Maritime Blue wasn’t available till the 1991 model year. Though this is not a normal production model and things weren’t quite as simple back then as they are today of when colors are available. Pretty sure the seats aren’t the original type Recaro’s they would’ve used back then. They are asking $400k.

https://www.grahamrahalperformance.c...53301?ref=list

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by RapidGT; 02-06-2024 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices