Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 11:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Maybe the previous owner was insanely OCD and didn’t want even minor paint imperfections from the very limited miles the car has. Also have heard of people repainting a car (even if it has perfect condition original paint) because the paint quality from the factory wasn’t up to their standards. Not so much with Porsche’s, but with other brands such as Ferrari. These are rare cases so not very likely it’s those with this car.
Looking at the earlier listing you can see every inch of the car has been gone over including the interior. Porsche paint was not the best despite their so called 26 stage paint process however the only turbos I know with repaint with such few miles were cars that were left to sit outside for years with sap and acid rain damaging the paint. Or hidden damage which many have. There were a few early base clear water bourn painted cars that had clear coat lifting but that was mostly 928's from my understanding.

If you want an honest car I would stay away from BaT these days. it seems the honest sellers are all gone and the rest is a crap shoot. I called it when the market for the 964 turbo started to sky rocket in 2011 with the other cobalt blue 3.6T bringing record selling price of $175k LOL. It had all the earmarks of the grey market back in the 80's. if you got in early you bought a nice car, eventually the money got out of control and the quality diminished. I don't see it getting any better. The owners I know with the A1 original paint cars aren't interested in selling. What you have left keeps getting passed around.

I love the turbo S tail I wish I never sold mine. I always wanted a package car but an honest one. I will stick with what I have.
The following users liked this post:
Carrera51 (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 11:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jreifler
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ra-2-coupe-18/

Branded title since the 2019 BaT sale ? That's gonna be a bummer for seller, as it appears they voluntarily disclosed not actual mileage when registering in NJ based only a speedo repair . . . ?

But looks like they "lost" ~5k miles on the speedo repair ? Weird.

Not sure what happened with the odo but I thought I recognized this car. This is how it looked back in 19. A nice car with a lot of nice bits ran strong but had many layers of paint that weren't disclosed in the listing and clearly obvious upon arrival.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
2000m2 (01-26-2024), jreifler (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 12:39 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Black ‘93 RSA. Shows 54k miles and is at least a 3 option car (can’t tell if it has LSD). Asking $250k. Car is definitely overpriced.

Has some sort of aftermarket exhaust. Also has a cover on the drivers side rear storage compartment. Speakers look to have been upgraded to McIntosh ones so not sure if that has something to do with it or the little extra **** on the left side of the steering wheel next to the switch for the lights.

https://www.motorcarclassics.com/199...ica-c-1291.htm
Old 01-28-2024, 01:56 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

Black ‘93 RSA. Shows 54k miles and is at least a 3 option car (can’t tell if it has LSD). Asking $250k. Car is definitely overpriced.

Has some sort of aftermarket exhaust. Also has a cover on the drivers side rear storage compartment. Speakers look to have been upgraded to McIntosh ones so not sure if that has something to do with it or the little extra **** on the left side of the steering wheel next to the switch for the lights.

That's, um, ambitious pricing. 9k mile White Collection car sold for 257.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 283 Posts

Def represents an upward trend considering the white collection one that @jreifler mentioned. People debate a lot if RSAs are worth it when row RS is available and they are not the same car but RSA still has a unique place in history. The very low production numbers and the fact that they are all 93-94 cars I think gives thema boost as well. I think they should land under row RS pricing but how much lower, really...?considering it's the car PCA built, has cool history and low numbers. I might be biased
Old 01-29-2024, 02:06 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff33702
Def represents an upward trend considering the white collection one that @jreifler mentioned. People debate a lot if RSAs are worth it when row RS is available and they are not the same car but RSA still has a unique place in history. The very low production numbers and the fact that they are all 93-94 cars I think gives thema boost as well. I think they should land under row RS pricing but how much lower, really...?considering it's the car PCA built, has cool history and low numbers. I might be biased
i owned a pristine RSA about 20 years and loved the car. was always a fan of the 964 and the RSA when everyone else discounted them. the RSA was discounted as a marketing exercise - similar to what everyone said about the 240hp e36 M3. 'M is for Marketing' was the line back then. now they're equally sought after, especially the e36 LTW.

as someone who does not downplay what the RSA is/was, i still put them well below a true RS and certainly closer to Carrera 2 pricing than row RS pricing. just not the same car.

The following users liked this post:
Carrera51 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 03:01 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Japanese-market Maritime Blue/Midnight Blue non-sunroof ‘93 C2. Sport seats. Has undergone a restoration. Asking $210k.

http://www.porsport.com/1993_964_eur...lue_no_sunroof
Old 01-29-2024, 04:58 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i owned a pristine RSA about 20 years and loved the car. was always a fan of the 964 and the RSA when everyone else discounted them. the RSA was discounted as a marketing exercise - similar to what everyone said about the 240hp e36 M3. 'M is for Marketing' was the line back then. now they're equally sought after, especially the e36 LTW.

as someone who does not downplay what the RSA is/was, i still put them well below a true RS and certainly closer to Carrera 2 pricing than row RS pricing. just not the same car.
Yes, I agree - what I was saying was that the lower production numbers, the interesting story and the stuff that isn't specifically about the cars performance might also give it a little boost
Old 01-29-2024, 05:11 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff33702
Yes, I agree - what I was saying was that the lower production numbers, the interesting story and the stuff that isn't specifically about the cars performance might also give it a little boost
i certainly agree with that. 701 production is low, no sunroof would be a plus for almost everyone interested, LSD is a nice option (so many 964s don't have it, yet my current Carrera 2 is a 220 car), and the radio is the least valued option. A/C tends to make the car more livable for most, but i bet there are not that many non-AC cars out there. bringing back the Carrera tail was a smart move also. that spoiler made the car visually unique to contemporary Carreras.

all of that is definitely worth a 'little boost'. i just don't think it takes it to RS level value. the thing i probably liked the best about the car were the fabric sport seats. they might has well have been buckets with the way they held you. if i could buy mine back at the same price i sold it for, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:31 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
all of that is definitely worth a 'little boost'. i just don't think it takes it to RS level value
Me, either - but it's an interesting discussion about how the 10% differences (or less) between similar models equates to much larger percentage increase in selling price.
I have a Mustang - GT350R, and it's incrementally better than a standard GT350 - it's noticable but I always see people commenting about how silly it is to spend the extra money for the R version when the non-R version is "so close".
That last few percent always costs the most, in pretty much everything in life.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:36 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 146 Posts

The Maritime Blue one is nice looking. Price seems way high and with the ODO reset it's now a TMU car. And they spelled Maritime incorrectly in the listing.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:51 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
The Maritime Blue one is nice looking. Price seems way high and with the ODO reset it's now a TMU car. And they spelled Maritime incorrectly in the listing.
Very common to reset the odometer after an extensive restoration which this particular car has undergone. More common to see on older cars as more of them are restored than for instance 964’s. Whoever did the restoration on this car did a good job and it looks recently completed.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:58 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Very common to reset the odometer after an extensive restoration which this particular car has undergone. More common to see on older cars as more of them are restored than for instance 964’s. Whoever did the restoration on this car did a good job and it looks recently completed.
it was very common to zero out the odo on muscle car restorations for a long time. there's now value in attempting to document/retain original mileage. of course, 'survivors' were not considered of great value for a long time either.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:59 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 146 Posts

I totally understand that, but personally I would want the odometer to match the records. And the chassis is still 32 years old. It does look very nicely done and it's one of my favorite colors on a 964
Old 01-30-2024, 03:40 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I get the affection for the RSA however I personally need power steering and when we talk RSA's unless it is a non sunroof car I don't see the point. A good C2 for less and customize it is my approach. I added the RSA wing and removed my sunroof so it does the same thing for me. I will comment that my C2 has option 220 and the old ZF LSD's weren't anything special. The later units used on the 993 are more substantial and can be converted to a multi disc setup unlike the single friction disc of the 40/40 unit. Mine wore out at 50k miles. Easy enough to rebuild but it is only good for spirited street driving.

Does singer 0 out their speedo? I never looked.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices