Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 02:30 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, interesting. So, couple follow up's @V2Rocket , where exactly would we plumb the drain on one of those separators, and would it be worth running one in series with a catch can, for those of us who..... may have already invested in new shiny components
Old 05-24-2020, 06:04 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Look up a "cyclonic separator", that's exactly what an AOS is.
No filter media necessary.

The guys who would open up an AOS/catch can and stuff it with pot scrubbers or steel wool to keep oil out of the intake are putting a bandaid on a tired engine.

The Provent works similarly to an oil/fuel filter which is why it needs an element separating the input side from the output side.
Well in that case.. Since the bmw one is small and cheap, I wouldn't mind running both, since I do want to return my lines to the intake in an attempt at getting a slight vacuum in the crankcase. I definitely don't believe both are necessary, but I can't see it causing any harm. Besides the possibility that doing both may not result in the vacuum i'm looking for. Just really trying to lower the amount of oil in the intake as much as possible.

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Okay, interesting. So, couple follow up's @V2Rocket , where exactly would we plumb the drain on one of those separators, and would it be worth running one in series with a catch can, for those of us who..... may have already invested in new shiny components
Technically you're supposed to run the drain back to the crankcase... However after seeing what drains out... I'd recommend finding another solution.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:38 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by EastEnd944
Technically you're supposed to run the drain back to the crankcase... However after seeing what drains out... I'd recommend finding another solution.
Right, maybe some sort of accumulator & a line that merges into the turbo drain on the upper sump? The only thing that worry's me is a combination of air & oil back-flowing into the turbo, so maybe it would have to drain somewhere else..... like a catch can maybe?
Old 05-25-2020, 11:59 AM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, maybe some sort of accumulator & a line that merges into the turbo drain on the upper sump? The only thing that worry's me is a combination of air & oil back-flowing into the turbo, so maybe it would have to drain somewhere else..... like a catch can maybe?
I would certainly drain it to a catch can before I ran it back into turbo drain/oil pan. However, I know some of the 928 guys have done so but it didn't work out. In this thread Vlocity initially ran his to a catch can but ended up getting no oil. Older thread but still relevant.

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...tch-can-3.html

In Post #32 from Vlocity "I ran the discharge line from the Provent into a catch can in the driver side fender well just to be safe ...but after two full track days there was not a single drop of oil.....so I have now placed the discharge line into the low pressure area under the car in order (with a v shaped cut on the end) to provide additional vacuum draw through the Provent. The oil in the Provent is routed to the oil pan via a T in the dip stick.

So to summarize I am pulling crank case ventilation from a 1 inch line at the crank cover plus the 2-3/8 lines from the passenger side. I am bringing fresh air into the drivers side via the oil fill. With 10 PSI boost for very long sustained periods of time, I have no oil in the intake, no smoke and no oil in the to atmosphere line"
Old 05-28-2020, 04:09 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Recommended Method for Installing Injectors

For our cast aluminum manifold, make sure you install the injectors into the intake manifold first, individually. Also best to use some sort of lube on the injector o-rings such as a dielectric grease. The injector ports are the same size as the ones in the factory manifold, but require some effort to insert the injectors. If you leave the injectors in the rail and try to install it as an assembly you risk them not seating into the manifold properly.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Manifold received today.... I have quite a bit of drool to clean up. Thanks to Mike and Alan for working out the design and implementation of all these custom parts that make this possible without hundreds of extra hours of fabrication work.

Thank you!
Old 06-02-2020, 04:11 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjar
Manifold received today.... I have quite a bit of drool to clean up. Thanks to Mike and Alan for working out the design and implementation of all these custom parts that make this possible without hundreds of extra hours of fabrication work.

Thank you!
Thanks Craig! We are really excited to see all these builds come together. Everyone please be sure to post pictures or send them to me so that I can post via BBG. Will be super cool to see how everyone does it.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:09 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by hinton
Everyone please be sure to post pictures or send them to me so that I can post via BBG. Will be super cool to see how everyone does it.
Feel free to re-post anything from any of my accounts that you see fit!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:35 PM
Cjar
Instructor

I stumbled on an option for those running DBW throttle body. Turns out my B9 S5 t-body bolts right up! It’s the same used on the 440hp (add 100hp for APR chip) RS5 so no problem with flow, and the hose adapter fits 2.5” silicone hose.

The following users liked this post:
hinton (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 01:09 AM
hinton
Racer

I stumbled on an option for those running DBW throttle body. Turns out my B9 S5 t-body bolts right up! It’s the same used on the 440hp (add 100hp for APR chip) RS5 so no problem with flow, and the hose adapter fits 2.5” silicone hose.

Nice find, thanks for sharing!
Old 06-03-2020, 08:46 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Hows the coolant system coming along?
Old 06-03-2020, 08:58 AM
hinton
Racer

Hows the coolant system coming along?
Done! Alan has been taking pictures and documenting part numbers. I’ll have him chime in with the details.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:55 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good. What exhaust manifold are you using?
Old 06-03-2020, 08:46 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Manifold is from Craig’s Custom TIG Welding.

Equal length manifold, 1.25” schedule 10 to T25 flange, all 321 stainless.

Craig
The following users liked this post:
senior_squishy (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 09:09 PM
hinton
Racer

Manifold is from Craig’s Custom TIG Welding.

Equal length manifold, 1.25” schedule 10 to T25 flange, all 321 stainless.

Craig
She’s a real beaut!

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread