Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013 | 02:38 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Here's a link Paully. https://rennlist.com/forums/7514881-post208.html

I still wonder on all this. Sid was using a secondary pump for the back of the block. Makes me think if this mightn't interrupt the flow somehow though?
Yeah that's on his build thread, I was after the one that ilikemy944 posted, with the actual cooling ports.

I would think it'll be ideal to use a pump and draw coolant out of there to keep a constant flow?
Old 06-20-2013 | 02:59 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Thom
Are you planning to run that much boost with E85, or is the X Axis not configurable through the software?
Originally Posted by OmniGLH
That's a good question. I don't think it is, but then I also haven't tried adjusting the column headings either.

Might be interesting to see if you can (or a possible feature/enhancement request for Rogue if you can't...) for those who have no intention of running 28psi, get a little more resolution into tuning for lower boost levels.
It is configurable. Not sure I really see much benefit to it though. Usually any loads/rpms that fall between cells are just with the built-in interpolation. In-fact, there really shouldn't be large variations between adjacent cells anyway.

Here's a link Paully. https://rennlist.com/forums/7514881-post208.html

I still wonder on all this. Sid was using a secondary pump for the back of the block. Makes me think if this mightn't interrupt the flow somehow though?
IIRC, Sid was using the electric pump to push cool coolant to the back of the block, not draw it out. I could be wrong - its been a little while since I paid attention to it.
Old 06-20-2013 | 03:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yep that's what I was thinking but if Sid is pushing coolant in from another direction couldn't it disrupt the flow and possibly cause other issues elsewhere Josh? I'm pretty sure Sid has had no issues in this regard but I'm thinking of longer duration on the racetrack.
Old 06-20-2013 | 03:55 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Well, coolant flows through the block, then up to the head. So, Sid's setup is just introducing a bit of cooler coolant right as the flow goes to the head:

Old 06-20-2013 | 03:57 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Yep that's what I was thinking but if Sid is pushing coolant in from another direction couldn't it disrupt the flow and possibly cause other issues elsewhere Josh? I'm pretty sure Sid has had no issues in this regard but I'm thinking of longer duration on the racetrack.
It does make sense what sid is doing, because you get cooler coolant to the top of the head than removing it. I don't really seeing it doing much harm elsewhere. As it's under pressure the only harm would be adding more pressure but i doubt that as i think he will be flowing equal or less amount of coolant to the head. But at the removal rate wont change so it the coolant could possibly stay there longer.

I rather remove it like i said so the coolant can travel though the head quicker and being cooler, it'll absorbe more heat.

I think that makes sense
Old 06-20-2013 | 05:21 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

That's a little more advance ramp up than I would run.. Even if it will run without knock it might not produce the most power with that much advance. But only one way to find out - dyno

Would be interesting to start out lower on the dyno and add more and more advance to see how the torque is affeced to determine best torque timing.

When it comes to studs, I run 9/16 ARP studs @ 175 Nm.
Old 06-20-2013 | 03:38 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duke
I run 9/16 ARP studs @ 175 Nm.
Do you have some kind of "thread strengthening" in the block?
Old 06-20-2013 | 05:43 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

No but given the larger diameter the threads can take higher torque.
The head must also be drilled
Old 06-20-2013 | 07:42 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

When you go larger in thread dia, you usually have more steel to hold on to. By choosing the appropriate thread of corse.
Old 06-20-2013 | 11:05 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
That's a little more advance ramp up than I would run.. Even if it will run without knock it might not produce the most power with that much advance. But only one way to find out - dyno

Would be interesting to start out lower on the dyno and add more and more advance to see how the torque is affeced to determine best torque timing.

When it comes to studs, I run 9/16 ARP studs @ 175 Nm.

Thanks Duke, I did end up backing off a bit. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-20-2013 | 11:34 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Interesting night at the dyno, not much went right. I had trouble controlling boost with my EBC. My theory is that my new exhaust significantly reduced back pressure and thus substantially changed the settings in my Greddy EBC and I had trouble on the dyno getting it dialed in. The dyno was really busy with a long line behind me and so I had no time to figure it out. The first run I was expecting 16 psi and saw it shoot to 21 psi so I let off the throttle and then decided to finish the run. This run was at 21 psi with me pulling off the throttle in the middle of the run! The results are show below:

I adjusted the EBC and made a second run and psi shot right back to 21 psi so I let off and pulled the plug on the night. I think I am done with this EBC. Getting it set right is difficult and dialing it in on the street with this much power is difficult. MBC goes back on this week.

However I was encouraged that I am going to make my goals outlined in the original post. Glad I listened to advice and backed off timing at peak torque. (thanks Thom and Duke) Tonight's runs alone with the 3/4 bottom end runs I made a couple weeks ago lead me to believe I am close. In the next week or two I will return to the dyno to see if I can put it all together.

Also, great hanging out with Josh B and ilikemy944 (Brad) tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVMhN...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by refresh951; 06-20-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2013 | 12:07 AM
blown 944
Race Car

heck yeah!!! Just throw a black **** on there with some heavy springs in the WG and be done with it.

Looks like you are on your way. You should spend the $$ and just book a couple hrs to get it all dialed in.

Nice TQ!!!!
Old 06-21-2013 | 12:28 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
heck yeah!!! Just throw a black **** on there with some heavy springs in the WG and be done with it.

Looks like you are on your way. You should spend the $$ and just book a couple hrs to get it all dialed in.

Nice TQ!!!!
Thanks Sid

Things are looking pretty good. This motor is going to have a pretty special power band for a big power motor and does it ever have torque! Thanks for all your input. Good to see you around here

Here is the timing I went with for tonight. In the end I went fairly conservative and I am glad I did considering the problems I had controlling boost.

Old 06-21-2013 | 12:52 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Josh is probably filling you in on my thoughts right now.

There are a couple things I'd address pretty quickly before trying to make any more power.
Old 06-21-2013 | 12:57 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Nice!

You'll need time to adjust your EBC. The only reason i'd go EBC is having 2 or more boost modes. High and low. or in my case, 6.. ~12psi, ~15psi, ~16psi, ~16.8psi ~17.3psi ~18psi (pretty much the last 5 are because of weather. If it's very cold, it'll boost higher so if i want 18 psi i'll need to go to the 16.8 or 17.3 psi group. Because mine is closed loop. Open loop you can set a target boost pressure and it'll hit that 99% of the time.

What i did was set it to a very low boost level and make sure it's a flat curve, you can adjust the sensitivity until it's flat. then you bump it up to increase the boost & if that's flat also, just bump it up untill you've got your target boost pressure.

Quick Reply: Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build