Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013 | 02:20 AM
Thom
Race Car

Default .

Originally Posted by refresh951
Thanks Thom! WG spring is 1.1 bar. By the time I hit 2-3 psi I am in open loop. I added an additional spring to the Tial 38 a while back. It has two springs now and I can remove the secondary if desired to make it a 0.9 bar.
Do you know how much WG duty cycle % you need to reach peak boost?
Old 06-22-2013 | 02:35 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Don't be so modest Shawn, even with off the shelf parts you quickness is amazing. My car is sitting in Oklahoma now going on four years with an open checkbook! !!!
Old 06-22-2013 | 05:16 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

The only negative i see with your set up is the massive drop in torque. Still having 400 ft/lb or torque at at 6k is insane but if it was held higher, that would be pretty much perfect.
It maybe your tuning, who knows. But if you can achieve a much flatter torque curve with tuning, cam & intake.. Hands down you'd probably have the best budget-ish setup possible. Good luck with the tuning. I cannot wait to see proper results!
Old 06-22-2013 | 08:54 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
The only negative i see with your set up is the massive drop in torque. Still having 400 ft/lb or torque at at 6k is insane but if it was held higher, that would be pretty much perfect.
It maybe your tuning, who knows. But if you can achieve a much flatter torque curve with tuning, cam & intake.. Hands down you'd probably have the best budget-ish setup possible. Good luck with the tuning. I cannot wait to see proper results!
Yes, I completely agree. With much input from Sid and Rogue, I am going to try to address the steep torque drop off. We think we are hitting a significant choke on the intake track. I will post later about some things being done to address this. Also, with an adjustable cam gear, going to try pulling 2-3 degrees of cam timing. I have bottom end to spare and a huge bump at peak VE. The thinking is that pulling a bit of cam timing will help flatten things out and push the top end a little farther out. I can probably get much of the bottom end back with timing advance.

Last edited by refresh951; 06-22-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2013 | 10:30 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Yes, I completely agree. With much input from Sid and Rogue, I am going to try to address the steep torque drop off. We think we are hitting a significant choke on the intake track. I will post later about some things being done to address this. Also, with an adjustable cam gear, going to try pulling 2-3 degrees of cam timing. I have bottom end to spare and a huge bump at peak VE. The thinking is that pulling a bit of cam timing will help flatten things out and push the top end a little farther out. I can probably get much of the bottom end back with timing advance.
what intercooler are you using?
Old 06-22-2013 | 11:06 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
what intercooler are you using?
Stock...but I am looking to modify the inlet and outlet before I go back to the dyno. IC pipes and IC inlet/outlet will be 2.5".

Looking to mod the IC something like this from SFR website:

Old 06-22-2013 | 01:52 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I've recently installed an Aquamist water injection system in my car -- it's like a chemical intercooler (with a little meth as a kicker) -- worth considering. As for the torque fall-off, I'd suspect that has more to do with the head, cam, headers and turbo temps than the intake track. My motor has a similar curve and I tried replacing all the intake stuff with big SFR parts (TB, Intake, pipes, intercooler) and, while it helped some, it didn't fundamentally change the curve.
Old 06-22-2013 | 05:20 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Maybe - its down the list though... Some other, cooler stuff I need to finish up first!
I think there would be some demand for adjustable KLR control of boost. Just like in newer cars.
Old 06-22-2013 | 05:23 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Do you have the total build sheet on this? I would be looking for what it costs to go from a stock motor to this hybrid monster.
Old 06-22-2013 | 05:35 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I've recently installed an Aquamist water injection system in my car -- it's like a chemical intercooler (with a little meth as a kicker) -- worth considering. As for the torque fall-off, I'd suspect that has more to do with the head, cam, headers and turbo temps than the intake track. My motor has a similar curve and I tried replacing all the intake stuff with big SFR parts (TB, Intake, pipes, intercooler) and, while it helped some, it didn't fundamentally change the curve.
Thanks Tom. I appreciate your input. I read quite a bit about you build(s) and I love your garage I would love to see your dyno! Is it posted somewhere? What mods did you do to your head? I am running a ported head with bigger intake valves (+2 mm) that should help.

Based on looking at Sid's dyno for his 2.85L stroker, I think the slope of the drop off can be improved and it does not need to change by much to make a pretty big difference. I am going to try to improve the slope and push it out a bit. With this long stroke (94.75mm) I have some room to mess with cam timing (pulling 2-3 degrees) while still having plenty of torque on the low side. The IC inlet is an obvious restriction, I bought another stock IC from JoshB today for $65 and am in the process of modifying it. My plan is to address the easy targets and see what happens without throwing a lot of money at it.

One plus side to my 5th injector setup is some AIT cooling. I plan on doing some testing to see how much cooling benefit I am getting at some point. My new IC pipe design is really going to optimize the location of the 5th injector.
Old 06-22-2013 | 07:23 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

The stock IC inlet essentially squeezes down to nothing at the front. You can see why the Stage I mods of SFR and LR made a significant flow improvement (10%-18%):

Old 06-22-2013 | 10:18 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gosh you work fast
Old 06-22-2013 | 11:15 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Thanks Tom. I appreciate your input. I read quite a bit about you build(s) and I love your garage I would love to see your dyno! Is it posted somewhere? What mods did you do to your head? I am running a ported head with bigger intake valves (+2 mm) that should help.

Based on looking at Sid's dyno for his 2.85L stroker, I think the slope of the drop off can be improved and it does not need to change by much to make a pretty big difference. I am going to try to improve the slope and push it out a bit. With this long stroke (94.75mm) I have some room to mess with cam timing (pulling 2-3 degrees) while still having plenty of torque on the low side. The IC inlet is an obvious restriction, I bought another stock IC from JoshB today for $65 and am in the process of modifying it. My plan is to address the easy targets and see what happens without throwing a lot of money at it.

One plus side to my 5th injector setup is some AIT cooling. I plan on doing some testing to see how much cooling benefit I am getting at some point. My new IC pipe design is really going to optimize the location of the 5th injector.
Sadly, my garage needs a good cleaning these days. My dynos are posted here and reutterwerk. I'll see if I can find them. My head is from an 89 2.7 motor, so has 48mm intakes and 951 exhaust valves. It's essentially stock otherwise, with a wee bit of port clean up. I have a new head for the new motor to keep the torque up -- it was prepared by Heritage and has manhole covers for valves. Need to assemble that thing though...

I forgot you have that 5th injector in the pipe. I don't know how E85 performs as a heat sink, but I'm sure you're right about it helping -- it's similar to injecting straight meth I suppose. (I would worry a little about a backfire blowing something up though...?) Water/Meth with 100 octane seems to be a pretty stout brew too... I took the car out to fine tune the water injection today and must say these cars get ridiculously fast as the power climbs. I'm sure you can improve that curve, though each incremental HP tends to cost more than the one before it...
Old 06-22-2013 | 11:22 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

The stock IC inlet essentially squeezes down to nothing at the front. You can see why the Stage I mods of SFR and LR made a significant flow improvement (10%-18%):
Wow! I am surprised any air gets thru the IC to start with! Looks like more solid meat than honeycomb. I wonder if the LR Hard Pipes are an improvement over an IC or not worth all the extra mess.
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2013 | 11:40 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Don't be so modest Shawn, even with off the shelf parts you quickness is amazing.
+1

Tom - are you building one of these strokers too?

Quick Reply: Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build