Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by refresh951
Awesome!
That is one hell of a motor!
Old 06-21-2013 | 02:00 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
Josh is probably filling you in on my thoughts right now.

There are a couple things I'd address pretty quickly before trying to make any more power.
Yes, just talked to Josh and he gave me your thoughts. Thanks! Really appreciate the input! Putting together a pretty solid plan for moving forward.
Old 06-21-2013 | 02:02 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Nice!

You'll need time to adjust your EBC. The only reason i'd go EBC is having 2 or more boost modes. High and low. or in my case, 6.. ~12psi, ~15psi, ~16psi, ~16.8psi ~17.3psi ~18psi (pretty much the last 5 are because of weather. If it's very cold, it'll boost higher so if i want 18 psi i'll need to go to the 16.8 or 17.3 psi group. Because mine is closed loop. Open loop you can set a target boost pressure and it'll hit that 99% of the time.

What i did was set it to a very low boost level and make sure it's a flat curve, you can adjust the sensitivity until it's flat. then you bump it up to increase the boost & if that's flat also, just bump it up untill you've got your target boost pressure.
I agree Pauly but for now I just need simplicity. I will probably switch back to a Rogue EBC at some point.
Old 06-21-2013 | 02:07 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Awesome! Way to go -- that's a heck of a hybrid.
Old 06-21-2013 | 02:09 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by refresh951
I agree Pauly but for now I just need simplicity. I will probably switch back to a Rogue EBC at some point.
Is Josh planning something like that, maybe a system that uses the DME and the CV to control boost? Awesome numbers by the way, congrats on getting to at least view the cake if not getting to eat it, so to speak. I'm sure you'll hit your goal with a bit more tuning and a solid run. This is one of the coolest motors on the board.
Old 06-21-2013 | 02:09 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

But yes, for the moment a MBC will be perfect. It'll always be spot on. Even wastegate spring
Old 06-21-2013 | 02:14 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Is Josh planning something like that, maybe a system that uses the DME and the CV to control boost?
Maybe - its down the list though... Some other, cooler stuff I need to finish up first!
Old 06-21-2013 | 02:16 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

I dont think there is another car community with members that put so much of their own personal time and resources into developing custom solutions and keeping the cars paced with the march of time. Its pretty special here.
Old 06-21-2013 | 02:40 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

And the best thing is that the people who are doing it are from around the world! Holland, Sweden, Germany USA, Australia!

And than; DAMN! These power levels and only that amount of money spend.. I wonder what will happen to the other engines being build at the moment..
Old 06-21-2013 | 02:49 AM
Thom
Race Car

Nice number Shawn, congrats.

Re your problem with setting up the EBC, how stiff is the wastegate spring you are using?

I noticed that running open loop went well with a stiff spring, but closed loop worked much better with a softer spring, as when you get near the boost target the solenoid may have less work to supply in order to modulate the movement of the valve from both sides of the diaphragm. PWM settings will be easier to figure out.
Old 06-21-2013 | 12:15 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Maybe - its down the list though... Some other, cooler stuff I need to finish up first!

Flux Capacitor?
Old 06-21-2013 | 06:31 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Awesome! Way to go -- that's a heck of a hybrid.
Thanks Tom! A lot more work to do but encouraging none the less.

IAwesome numbers by the way, congrats on getting to at least view the cake if not getting to eat it, so to speak. I'm sure you'll hit your goal with a bit more tuning and a solid run. This is one of the coolest motors on the board.
Thanks Doug. Great analogy.

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Awesome!
That is one hell of a motor!
Appreciate the encouragement and input.

I dont think there is another car community with members that put so much of their own personal time and resources into developing custom solutions and keeping the cars paced with the march of time. Its pretty special here.
There are some pretty amazing forum's, DSMtuners for one, but I agree this is a great place to learn. I appreciate the knowledge and friendships I have found here.

Originally Posted by Dutch944
And the best thing is that the people who are doing it are from around the world! Holland, Sweden, Germany USA, Australia!

And than; DAMN! These power levels and only that amount of money spend.. I wonder what will happen to the other engines being build at the moment..
Trying to achieve reliable big power for less than 1/3 the typical price. Hybrid Strokers FTW!

Originally Posted by Thom
Nice number Shawn, congrats.

Re your problem with setting up the EBC, how stiff is the wastegate spring you are using?

I noticed that running open loop went well with a stiff spring, but closed loop worked much better with a softer spring, as when you get near the boost target the solenoid may have less work to supply in order to modulate the movement of the valve from both sides of the diaphragm. PWM settings will be easier to figure out.
Thanks Thom! WG spring is 1.1 bar. By the time I hit 2-3 psi I am in open loop. I added an additional spring to the Tial 38 a while back. It has two springs now and I can remove the secondary if desired to make it a 0.9 bar.
Old 06-21-2013 | 08:56 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Sooooooo cool on so many levels Shawn! I can hardly wait to see what she does when you get things sorted out.
Old 06-22-2013 | 12:20 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Incredible work Shawn! People must also note the quickness in which this build took place. Most people don't realize the time it takes to accomplish results like this. Very impressive!
Old 06-22-2013 | 12:46 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Sooooooo cool on so many levels Shawn! I can hardly wait to see what she does when you get things sorted out.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Incredible work Shawn! People must also note the quickness in which this build took place. Most people don't realize the time it takes to accomplish results like this. Very impressive!
Thanks Eric. The beauty of off the shelf Chevy/Mitsu parts. As a result, these builds can occur much quicker.

Quick Reply: Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build