Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rennlist Top 10 HP/TQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:12 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, Yes with your software it works just fine.

If you guys didn't reverse engineer the Motronic and sell the software that you do, I would probably be using tec3 or similar.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:14 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Ted, you are correct... I only speak about the Motronic running our latest software with the semi-sequential and the other goodies.. Also to clarify, for big HP a MAF must be used..
Old 09-13-2005, 01:19 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does you latest software make an engine"bullitproof". What I mean by that is with Motec, it will not let you over rev the motor. If it over rev's, it cuts out the spark, sputters, or something so you don't hurt your motor, so you can shift gears. I have to keep a close eye on my car as I fly through the rpms and it never lets up on power all the way into 7 grand so I have to keep an eye on it.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:24 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

John can set you a map with a 4,000 RPM rev limit if you want Activate it just by flipping a toggle switch (which you can put wherever you like).
Old 09-13-2005, 01:26 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Joe, a rev limit is part of the stock Motronic... We added a second rev limit to be used with the race maps.. (you get pump gas & race gas maps selectable externally. And you get 2 rev limits as well). Do you want a shift light, a timing function based on boost, a user specified rev limit. Do you want wasted spark? All are possible!!

I think we are getting a bit (a lot) off topic... back to scheduled programming.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:06 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good stuff to know. Sorry we got so off topic.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:57 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

john (fast951) sat in the passenger seat of my car and "tuned" in 40 more rwhp, and this was on a very hot day with intake temp getting hotter and and hotter with every run, so that was working against us. i guess the dyno lied about that gain? and the butt dyno lies about the harder acceleration after the tuning too?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:13 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa guys,
I think we all know that for an engine to make "any power" it has to be tuned properly. If an engine has air/fuel ratios between 11.5 and 13.5 to 1, together with spark at the right time so as not to detonate and not have overly high EGTs, you're pretty much there (absolute manifold pressure a constant, here).
If you're outside these parameters, I guess you're leaving alot on the table. Man, but you would really feel there was something wrong, though.
My response was to the statement that "FINE tuning" can yield all kinds of incredible gains.
Well, I don't know about that!
Sorry to offend anybody; just like to keep it real!
Old 09-13-2005, 06:40 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Whoa guys,
I think we all know that for an engine to make "any power" it has to be tuned properly. If an engine has air/fuel ratios between 11.5 and 13.5 to 1, together with spark at the right time so as not to detonate and not have overly high EGTs, you're pretty much there (absolute manifold pressure a constant, here).
If you're outside these parameters, I guess you're leaving alot on the table. Man, but you would really feel there was something wrong, though.
My response was to the statement that "FINE tuning" can yield all kinds of incredible gains.
Well, I don't know about that!
Sorry to offend anybody; just like to keep it real!
I'm just curious, what car do you have? I don't see anything in your signature? And whatever you have, does it have alot of mods that you have fine tuned? I'm just curious, eh?

Old 09-13-2005, 07:57 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you cant see his signature bacause you have to have member status to be able to include one?

Tommy you dont have to get baited into anything, if you want to post a dyno chart of your 944, feel free and if it qualifies for the list I will post it for ya! Your experience is welcome here... some Trolls just like to scare away people with knowledge that actually contribute to MY thread, which is why I make the statement, this is about posting Dyno sheets, not trying to bitch and moan and play the victim when someone calls BS on them.

Last edited by NZ951; 09-13-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:10 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is TurboTommy's signature:

Thomas '88 951 w/"S" parts except LSD (unfortunately), red/black, orginal flawless paint, many unconventional go-fast mods, 2000 Acura Integra Type R ( yes, its a ricer) 1990 Winter Beater ( to ashamed to say what it is)

I don't think anyone is baiting him into anything. If he wants to back up his claims with actual proof, that is great. If not, I don't think that anyone here is going to loose any sleep over it.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:18 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NZ951
Maybe you cant see his signature bacause you have to have member status to be able to include one?

Tommy you dont have to get baited into anything, if you want to post a dyno chart of your 944, feel free and if it qualifies for the list I will post it for ya! Your experience is welcome here...
"Baiting?" Sorry NZ, I don't play games. It was an honest and direct question. And moreso, it wasn't even directed at you, so why interject. Are you his lawyer? Anyway, just take it at face value. And please don't imply that I am trying to initiate trouble, ok? There's no reason for that, for the fact is I'm not. Leave it at that please.

Back to the HP program...
Old 09-13-2005, 08:36 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am getting so sick of this. . .

Can't we go off topic and get along?

Nope, I guess not!!
Old 09-14-2005, 11:01 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

If you pick up as stated in some posts back 40 - 80 rwhp, which translates according to wheel dyno gospel to about 60 - 120 hp crank then your basemap be either stand alone or Motronic chip is/was way off , I would not call that fine tuning. nobody in professional racing plus Porsche itself is not seeing those kind of gains from "fine tuning" ,period.
This brings me to my favorite subject , the wheel dynos ! Dynojet #'s are about as useless as it comes , 10-15 sec boost spike induced , no load and mistery correction factor formula do not translate into accurate numbers, well, maybe for forum bragging. The mustang at least has load so it reads a little better but still no cigar.
Guess what the factory uses ? The most accurate wheel dyno(in the wheel dyno world) there is , the MAHA . Cost is a major factor plus it needs the electricity of a small town. But Porsche uses it only for duplicating road conditions AND NOT FOR HP CLAIMS, the good ol' engine dyno is used for that purpose BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY ACCURATE WAY TO PROOF HP.
So, unless you strap each tuned engine to a engine dyno (not practical in the 951 world) those wheel dyno numbers are only good for one thing : conversation but not fact.
Now in regards to KKK being outdated and being hippies from the 60's why don't some of you experts send your resume to R&D in Weissach and show them the Garret truth in the 996tt/gt2.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Pole, you know EVERYONE in professional racing?? I didn't think so. How do you know what ANYONE but you is getting doing ANYTHING on a dyno of any kind? You there? They hire you as a consultant? Would you say that 40- 80 rwhp on a 1800 hp engine is unlikely? Sounds like fine tuning to me but WTF do I know.

NZ's thread is meant to be fun. There aren't any cash prizes to be won here. Chassis dyno's are a tool. That's it. Do a baseline pull, make changes and pull it again. Compare baseline numbers vs. current pull and tune it somemore. It doesn't make a lick of f'in difference if it is a Mustang or Dynojet. As long as you are using the same dyno it's a valid tool. Who cares what the factory uses, we all know they also used KKK turbo's and most of us have made big gains with modern turbo's. Don't you think that KKK has changed their turbo's since the '60's?

Your example of the 996tt or Gt-2 is not valid. I have made MORE POWER using Garrett turbo's on a 996t with no other changes than the turbo's but that was done on a Mustang so I'm sure you will discount that. What do you do for a living? What makes you an authority on turbocharging or chassis dyno's for that matter? You come off as an expert of some kind but are not really saying anything. You are not contributing here in anyway. So you don't like chassis dyno's. Who cares?

Gosh it's good to be back!!

Quick Reply: Rennlist Top 10 HP/TQ