Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rennlist Top 10 HP/TQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Porsche guys are unique in that they are afraid of high boost. I don't know why, when the engine is tuned for it. Therefore, it is VERY unethical (monetarily motivated) to lie about boost levels here.

I am going to post some dyno sheets in the next 2 weeks here from a couple of popular cars - I will post the TRUE boost levels.
Anyone who posts a lie from now on will be challenged obnoxiously by me.
I've turned my boost down to 17 because it pressurizes the coolant otherwise -- after a new WFHG. I'll start another thread with specifics.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:10 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA - my car probably more track time than ALL the cars on the HP thread COMBINED!! except Gomes's.

Guys who don't make any power make excuses - glory runs, hahaha

420RWHP - we haven't seen your dyno sheet, have we????
I hope you are not one of those girls who just speculates about engine power, then has the ***** to put it in your signature. Where is the sheet??? The sheet you posted is brake HP - BIG, BIG difference.

My post addresses the lying here - not the boost level. I am saying that I will not let the boost level LYING continue on the thread. And I know EXACTLY every boost level LIE on there.

Last edited by special tool; 10-02-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:52 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"He has 420 crank hp....380 whp...loss is 40 hp...."

That wasn't my question Skunk. He pmed me. I really just wanted to know because I was interested, not causing trouble. All of the cars here seem to attack the common problems in similar yet still different ways. That's why i wondered.

420 call around to your local gas stations (Sunoco first) and ask if they have a station selling 100 octane. Here in Jacksonville, I have one station that I know of that sells Sunoco 100 octane. As premium 93 oct is 3.25 a gallon, I went ahead and paid 4.99 for the 100. I do that every three months or so to blow things out.

BTW I run 93 octane at 20 psi EVERYDAY on my stock motor without any issues...and it's hot as hell AND humid here. I wouldn't race like that, but I'm not racing, so I agree that there is a huge amount of "boost panic" in our community. How often on your daily drive do you hit max boost? Not very often.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:52 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

st = supa tosser!...... like i said.....that dyno was done by the previous owner of the car....not me. its the sheet that i was given and i'm happy with that and believe me....i know what stock 250 horses feels like and my car is in a totally different league to that.

anyway... i really dont care what the nay sayers on here think...... i've read enough bull**** from their posts on this thread and how they think THEY are the only ones capable of making power and everyone else is just lying.....its hilarious reading really....great entertainment!!

a paragraph taken from the july 04 issue of 911&porsche world......." Finally,then, it was time to see if the car went as well as the rolling road figures suggested it would, and a trackday at castle coombe circuit in wiltshire was duly booked. 'the car was incredible,' grins andrew.' I was lapping as quickly as one minute 16 seconds, which is only a second slower than the full-blown porsche cup racers were achieving back in 1999. But the car's still in full road trim. I certainly raised a few eyebrows!'"............ nuff said dontcha think????? haha.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:04 PM
420WHP944
Pro

ehall....... like i said...im not a mechanic or a " supa looner " im an enthusiast who loves porsches, especially the 944...thats why i have one! my problem at the moment is that i'm here in florida and my car is wrapped up safe and sound in my garage back home in Ireland....i've looked into bringing it over here but the red tape is a nightmare here in the usa...so forget that! I will pick up a turbo for use here......soon i hope....i'm just settling in here and waiting for the right one to come along, anyway...my wife and i plan on residing in ireland for 6 months of year anyway so i can wait till then!!!!! and as regards 100 octane pump gas here....i've never looked for it as i'm currently driving my wifes mini van!!!! haha....its good to know its available at some outlets though.....cheers.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:38 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

AHH...I thought it was here. So...wanna race me in the mini van Nice car man. Cheers.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:17 PM
420WHP944
Pro

ehall....your'e on! me, the mini van and that 100 octane gas and you are history dude!!!!! haha
Old 10-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark944turbo

It is true that we cant run the boost that other engines can. We have huge cylinders leading to detonation and an open deck design that limits power until you get deck locking sleeves.

These problems might not be apparent to someone who never pushes the car besides on 1 cold dyno run, but if you want the car to last on the track or for extended fast street driving on a hot day you cant run 25+ pounds of boost. Fuel is another issue. Do you dyno on the same fuel you use daily?
Obviously you haven't noticed that Markus951 runs 26 psi all day long on 98RON gas with no problems whatsoever....he even peaked 32 psi (rich AFR) while tuning it,on a stock headgasket,no probs at all...and they drove the car with this boost all the way from Estonia to Norway,which is a couple thousand miles...

High boost is not a problem (even on pump gas) if you just get the combinations right...he did.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:43 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunk Workz
Obviously you haven't noticed that Markus951 runs 26 psi all day long on 98RON gas with no problems whatsoever....he even peaked 32 psi (rich AFR) while tuning it,on a stock headgasket,no probs at all...and they drove the car with this boost all the way from Estonia to Norway,which is a couple thousand miles...
must have been a quick trip !
Old 10-02-2005, 07:44 PM
special tool
Banned

I think he means to say "prone" - but countermeasures can be taken to run high boost - SAFE ones.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Originally Posted by David Floyd
must have been a quick trip !
Ok David...I guess he didn't floor it and kept it there all the way here...but I guess you get the idea..
Old 10-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Originally Posted by special tool
I think he means to say "prone" - but countermeasures can be taken to run high boost - SAFE ones.
Yeah...I've tuned several other types of boosted engines to run close to 30 psi on pump...so I just can't see why it is "pushing it" to go beyond 20 psi in the 951...and Markus proved it.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:02 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunk Workz
Ok David...I guess he didn't floor it and kept it there all the way here...but I guess you get the idea..
Old 10-02-2005, 08:33 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"Obviously you haven't noticed that Markus951 runs 26 psi all day long on 98RON gas with no problems whatsoever....he even peaked 32 psi (rich AFR) while tuning it,on a stock headgasket,no probs at all...and they drove the car with this boost all the way from Estonia to Norway,which is a couple thousand miles... "

I guess there isnt much for me to say besides- I dont believe you.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:49 PM
special tool
Banned

Well, guys - we don't know the timing or EGT on Markus's engine, either..........

Quick Reply: Rennlist Top 10 HP/TQ